Problem Resolving NameService

Post by he.. » Sat, 15 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi!

I'm having problems resolving the NameService. the code
looks like this:
CORBA::ORB_var orb = CORBA::ORB_init(argc, argv);
CORBA::Object_var test = orb->resolve_initial_references("NameService");
..Never reached...
..

The exception thrown is:
EXCEPTION CORBA_ORB_InvalidName {

Quote:}

What is the cause to this? I am able to resolve the RootPOA.

/Thank, Hejje.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Problem Resolving NameService

Post by Kaveh Asalia » Sat, 15 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Do you have the Name server registered with the implementation repository?
some ORBs like orbix require the name server to be registered with the
implementation rep.  Once registered with the implementation repository the
name service can be activated by the deamon or launched manually.   Also in
orbix you need to specify a locater in the Orbix.hosts/orbix.hst file.  You
need to put the "NS: hostname" string in this file.
I guess that your problem is due to your orb setting (environment
settings).  Try to run the name server on its own to see if it runs at all.

regards
Kaveh

--

Software Engineer        28 Fulton Way     Voice: (905)886-7818
                         Richmond Hill     Ext:   2226

Problem Resolving NameService

Post by gshem.. » Sat, 15 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

It would helped if you wrote which ORB you're using .
in Orbix 3.0.1 the code looks something like this :

CORBA::ORB_var orb = CORBA::ORB_init(argc, argv, "Orbix");
CORBA::BOA_var boa = orb->BOA_init(argc, argv, "Orbix_BOA");
CORBA::Object_var obj = orb->resolve_initial_references("NameService");

notice the "Orbix" in the ORB_init().
I know that Orbix has Demos in iona\orbixnames\demos ( name service
demos )  and in iona\demos  ( general demos )
i guess the ORB you're using should have demos too .

Best regards ,
              Golan

> Hi!

> I'm having problems resolving the NameService. the code
> looks like this:
> CORBA::ORB_var orb = CORBA::ORB_init(argc, argv);
> CORBA::Object_var test = orb->resolve_initial_references
("NameService");
> ..Never reached...
> ..

> The exception thrown is:
> EXCEPTION CORBA_ORB_InvalidName {
> }

> What is the cause to this? I am able to resolve the RootPOA.

> /Thank, Hejje.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Problem Resolving NameService

Post by Andrew Marlo » Sun, 16 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Hi!

>I'm having problems resolving the NameService. the code
>looks like this:
>CORBA::ORB_var orb = CORBA::ORB_init(argc, argv);
>CORBA::Object_var test = orb->resolve_initial_references("NameService");
>..Never reached...
>..

>The exception thrown is:
>EXCEPTION CORBA_ORB_InvalidName {
>}

This is exactly what I am getting with MICO 2.3.1 on Solaris.
I have used MICO for years and everything has been fine (yes I am
initialising the ORB with the ORB specific string) but I recently moved
to version 2.3.1 because the Sparcworks compiler is supported better
(thanks guys!) and now I have this problem. The demo programs work fine
though they too are coded as above. I register the Name Service first.
Also the MICO command 'imr list <address>' shows the Name Service to
be registered. My MICO programs worked fine at version 2.2.x on Linux
and Solaris using the GNU compiler.

Regards,

Andrew Marlow.
| Copyright (c) 2000 APM Software Ltd. All rights reserved.               |
| My reply address is deliberately munged. This email account is just     |
| used for USENET postings. Please don't send me email. Reply to the      |
| newsgroup instead. All spammers should be put to death by slow torture. |

Problem Resolving NameService

Post by he.. » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Hi,

I'm using Visibroker 4.0 for C++.

/with regards, Hejje

> Hi!

> I'm having problems resolving the NameService. the code
> looks like this:
> CORBA::ORB_var orb = CORBA::ORB_init(argc, argv);
> CORBA::Object_var test =

orb->resolve_initial_references("NameService");

Quote:> ..Never reached...
> ..

> The exception thrown is:
> EXCEPTION CORBA_ORB_InvalidName {
> }

> What is the cause to this? I am able to resolve the RootPOA.

> /Thank, Hejje.

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Problem Resolving NameService

Post by Andrew Marlo » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>Do you have the Name server registered with the implementation repository?
>some ORBs like orbix require the name server to be registered with the
>implementation rep.  Once registered with the implementation repository the
>name service can be activated by the deamon or launched manually.   Also in
>orbix you need to specify a locater in the Orbix.hosts/orbix.hst file.

[snip]
Hello Kaveh,
Thanks for the speedy response but unfortunately, this is not the problem.
Hejje is using VisiBroker and I am using MICO and we both have the same
symptoms. So I figure it's probably not do to with ORB-specific things.

Quote:>> What is the cause to this? I am able to resolve the RootPOA.

Yes, so am I. I do register the Name Service and the appropriate MICO
command shows it to be registered, However, before my process tries to
resolve the NS reference it displays a list of contactable names and
although the RootPOA is there the Name Service is not.

Regards,

Andrew Marlow.
| Copyright (c) 2000 APM Software Ltd. All rights reserved.               |
| My reply address is deliberately munged. This email account is just     |
| used for USENET postings. Please don't send me email. Reply to the      |
| newsgroup instead. All spammers should be put to death by slow torture. |

1. resolving NameService in omniORB question

Hi everybody,

I am using omniORB (3.0.3) in a project, where I have to interact with
VisiBroker. We had some difficulties making things work (due to the fact
that VisiBroker encourages the use of non standard extensions and the
fact that the other party knows even less about CORBA than myself).
Because of this, I downloaded a trial version of VisiBroker and
converted some of my test programs to work with VB.

During this, I ran into the following problem:

I started VB's NameService and used the resulting IOR with omniNames
'nameclt' tool, which supposedly queries and interacts with omniNames.
Since we are talking CORBA, I figured, 'nameclt' should also work with
VB's NameService, but the IOR could not be '_narrowed' because VB's
NameService is a 'NamingContextExt' instead of a 'NamingContext'
although 'NamingContextExt' is derived from 'NameingContext'

From my understanding, '_narrow' should be able to figure this one out,
but it didn't. My question is: Why?
omniORB 3.0.3 doesn't have the 'NamingContextExt' interface defined, but
this shouldn't be a problem, should it?`

TIA
Tilman

2. Software Copyright Law

3. No Nameservice in resolve_initial_references ("NameService")

4. 2nd RFD: comp.org.user-groups.* groups

5. using VisiBroker4.x NameService and ORBacus NameService together?

6. SPrzedam Telekonwerter Soligor 2x do Canona EOS

7. Index BIG problem - Problem always NOT resolved

8. Security - Trap User ID

9. JacORB nameservice problem

10. Problems with NameService.

11. Combat NameService Problem

12. Problem with NameService in vbj4.1. Help needed.

13. Problems with NameService