Iona's Orbix: Transfer per-client service to forked child?

Iona's Orbix: Transfer per-client service to forked child?

Post by Paul Jacks » Fri, 16 Aug 1996 04:00:00

I am trying to wrap some legacy server side code as a Orbix
service, using Orbix Version v2.0 for Native C++ on SGI's IRIX.

My legacy code can only handle one client per process -- global
state and such.  So one way or another, I have to have a separate
serving process for each new client.  There are typically just a
few clients at most running in parallel, but could be a few dozen
in parallel in busy moments.

I have complete control over the client interface that will access
this IDL defined service, so I'm not limited there.

--

I can imagine two ways to accomplish this:

    1) Let orbixd on the server know about the separate serving
       processes, one per client, or

    2) don't let orbixd know there are separate processes.

--

In the first case, it seems that I will have to have visibly known
to the Repository at least as many server or marker:server

Questions - Does anyone have experience in this, enough to either
            know of a not too messy way to handle this, or to know
            that I should expect to just "have to deal with it".

--

In the second case, I'd have a single master process that orbixd
thought held all per-client objects of the new service type, and

From what I can gather of the interactions between orbixd and the
services it helps get going, this should work.  In particular,
orbixd is completely uninvolved with a service object once it gets
connected to its client.  In low level socket terms, its seems
like it should be easy -- just fork the process to run the legacy
code, leaving the CORBA socket to the client open just in the
child, and the socket to orbixd open just in the master parent.

Questions - Can this be done?  How?  Is there an API for it?
            Does anyone know of examples of such being done?

            How does one handle the normal and abnormal cleanup
            and shutdown of a single object instance in this
            case, when the lack of connectivity from the active
            object to orbixd will once again become painfully
            obvious?

1. Orbix problem: How to manage resources(fd's) when there are multiple connections per client

Hi,

Our server opens more than one connection for a client and the number of
connections are increasing in time. This continuous increase in the
number of connections, causes the system to lock-up, after the number of
file descriptors is reached maximum(1024 for server and client).

Has anyone experienced similar problem? Can it be a orbix configuration
issue? Thanks...

Esin Isikli

2. Performance question

3. Iona Orbix Naming Service problem

4. Disabling "Stand By" at Shut Down

5. ORBIX And Non-IONA Relationship Service

6. Release?

7. CORBA COS Event Service -- Information regarding performance tradeoffs: IONA ORBIX?

8. voodoo3 for mac

9. IONA Orbix 2000 client for Weblogic 6.0 EJB - idl compilation problem

10. Java 1.2 ORB server / IONA Orbix 2.3 client, using java namingService

11. orbix c++ questions? (for iona orbix users)

12. Iona's Orbix and g++

13. Does Iona's Orbix support POA?