CORBA user-defined exceptions as Java _unchecked_ exceptions?

CORBA user-defined exceptions as Java _unchecked_ exceptions?

Post by Pascal Sartorett » Tue, 19 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

The CORBA standard precisely defines (24.12.1) that user-defined
exceptions in an IDL file are mapped to Java exceptions derived from
org.omg.CORBA.UserException, meaning that they are "checked
exceptions" and must hence be handled. We have the problem that our
IDL file defines exceptions which clearly come from incorrect usage of
the remote object; we hence don't want to force the Java client to
always handle such exceptions. In one word, we would like the ability
to define IDL exceptions which would be mapped to Java unchecked
exceptions, e.g. childs of java.lang.RunTimException.

Is this possible? Any work around?

One of the solutions mentioned to me was to use e.g.
org.omg.CORBA.SystemException for such cases. I don't like
this very much, because 1) such exceptions have nothing to
do with CIRBA 2) they can't be documented in the IDL (?).

Thanks for any help

Pascal Sartoretti

1. User-defined exceptions

I am using Iona Orbix v21c for Solaris/C++ to develop a
simple distributed app where the server object operations
raise a user-defined exception, if some criteria is not met.

 I get the following run-time error on the server:

        Run-time exception error; current exception: RejectException
        Unexpected exception thrown.
Abort (core dumped)

 RejectException is the user-defined exception class derived
automatically from CORBA::UserException, and defined in the
idl for the server interface.

        Any suggestions ?

 Thanks.

V.

2. components-object

3. Need help on Catching User Defined exception

4. ctrl-c interrupt handling by program

5. How to build a user-defined function to be used in formulas of user-defined fields ??

6. Having trouble mailing .doc files from browser

7. Nice handling of non-CORBA, non-System exceptions (in Java preferably)

8. Sarcasm

9. Exception: CORBA.NO_IMPLEMENT when integrating C++ TAO server with Java JacORB client

10. JAVA: CORBA Exception: Oracle JServlet invokes EJB-method ...

11. CORBA.NO_RESOURCES Exception (Visibroker Java)