Connecting to a remote CORBA server (using IP address)

Connecting to a remote CORBA server (using IP address)

Post by abou.. » Fri, 09 Feb 2001 22:03:06

Hi all,

 As I understand it, IOR needs to be known by the clients in order to
"get in touch" with the server. However, when trying to connect to a
server, one generally knows the IP address (or equivalently the host
name). What is the corba procedure for contacting another CORBA server
knowing only the IP address of the hosting machine ?

Thanks all

Connecting to a remote CORBA server (using IP address)

Post by Manfred Reinar » Sat, 10 Feb 2001 00:44:39

Hello,

Quote:> Hi all,

>  As I understand it, IOR needs to be known by the clients in order to
> "get in touch" with the server. However, when trying to connect to a
> server, one generally knows the IP address (or equivalently the host
> name). What is the corba procedure for contacting another CORBA server
> knowing only the IP address of the hosting machine ?

> Thanks all

The IP address alone is not sufficient for the connection to a remote
object.
The INS spec introduced corbaloc-URLs which mainly contain the information
elements host-name or -IP-address, port number and object id. The default
port number is 2809. The object id is very often a string like
'NameService'.

With the knowledge of hostname/IP-address (e.g. james) , (default)portnumber
(e.g. 5000) and the object id, you can connect to a remote NameService by
passing the corbaloc URL string :

"corbaloc::james:5000/NameService"

as "stringified IOR" to the method
orb -> string_to_object() on the client side.

Best regards
Manfred