Breaking synchronous behaviour of a request at operation implementation

Breaking synchronous behaviour of a request at operation implementation

Post by Chabane Rezzi » Wed, 25 Sep 1996 04:00:00

Hi there,

Let me explain the issue using a simple example.
CORBA client C needs to make a synchronous invokation on an CORBA server
object S located in a given server (unix process) P. To service the
request object S must query asynchroneously a database. The server P
cannot block while waiting for database reply: It has to process
other requests. Yes I can use threads to solve the problem. Some OSes
don't support threads. And threads add some complexity.
I need to defer replying to the request untill the data I need is
available.
I checked the Orbix inclue/corba/request.h file and found the following
method on the CORBA::Request:

virtual Boolean deferReply (Boolean doDefer=1,
                         Environment &env=IT_chooseDefaultEnv ());
virtual void enableReply (
                      Environment &env=IT_chooseDefaultEnv ());

Unfortunately, I cannot find documetation on how to use them and even
what they do.
If you happen to have an example or have some info to share please
send me an e-mail.

A standard solution is better. But I'd also like to know how this can be
implemented using available ORBS.

Thanks,
Chabane
--
Chabane Rezzik                | Objectime Limited

Phone:  (613) 591-7043        | Kanata, Ontario
Fax:    (613) 591-3784        | canada K2K 2E4
http://www.objectime.com

1. VxWorks drivers for z85230 synchronous and DMA modes of operation

Hello All,

I'm trying to use the i8237 DMA controller to send/recv data through the
z85230 in the SDLC mode.

Does anyone know where I can obtain  any "C" drivers that support the DMA
and synchronous modes of the z85230 and i8237A that are on the Motorola
MVME2700 board?

VxWorks supports only the async mode.

Regards,
Gerald Chang
Lockheed Martin Corp.

2. Alternative to custom 404 page

3. MVME147 synchronous operation on serial port 4

4. peek() under Windows 16, Borland c++ 4.0

5. HP 870Cse continues to print banner page

6. Synchronous vs. asynchronous operation

7. DateTimePicker with no border

8. Waiting Operation in Asynchronous I/O and Synchronous I/O

9. OmniORB 3.0.4 - Deferred Synchronous Requests?

10. Requests through ORB: synchronous or async

11. Inheritance and Operation Implementations