Corba newbie: corba server in dll/lib

Post by Cappuccin » Fri, 20 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Hi

Until today I used only COM/DCOM. I don't have any experience with
corba.
I just started to study how corba works. Now ,after reading some corba
stuff in the
internet, a few questions arised.

Am I right when I suppose that it is not possible to have a local corba
server component
in a dll respectively lib?

Is a corba server component started automatically when a corba client
requests it?

As I've understand it is possible to write a corba server in C++ and the
client in Java.  For
which ORB's are binidigs available for both languages?

It is possible to use the ORB delivered with the sun jdk togheter with a
other ORB which supports
C++ bindings?

Thanks  and regards

massimo

Corba newbie: corba server in dll/lib

Post by diego_sevi.. » Sat, 21 Oct 2000 04:00:00

HI, Massimo: (sorry if you receive two copies... my news server went
down)

> Hi

> Until today I used only COM/DCOM. I don't have any experience with
> corba.
> I just started to study how corba works. Now ,after reading some corba
> stuff in the
> internet, a few questions arised.

> Am I right when I suppose that it is not possible to have a local
corba
> server component
> in a dll respectively lib?

No, you're not right. Of course, you can put your CORBA server or
component
inside a dll/lib. However, as in the CORBA world exists more than one
manufacturer of ORBs, you should check your ORB's documentation in this
regard. I know that MICO (www.mico.org) and TAO
(www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/TAO.html) accept dynamic loading of server
code
in dll/lib/so.

Quote:

> Is a corba server component started automatically when a corba client
> requests it?

You can program it that way, and that's the purpose of the IMR (at the
server level) together with the POA specification (at the object level).

Quote:

> As I've understand it is possible to write a corba server in C++ and
the
> client in Java.  For
> which ORB's are binidigs available for both languages?

There are many, even freely available. Check for instance
http://adams.patriot.net/~tvalesky/freecorba.html . However, it is not a
requirement that an ORB support both languages: you can use an ORB for a
particular language and other ORB for other language. They are able to
comunicate.

Quote:

> It is possible to use the ORB delivered with the sun jdk togheter with
> other ORB which supports
> C++ bindings?

Of course. This is the magic of CORBA: using the functionality
regardless
of programming language, platform and OS. You must still know some
interoperatibility issues (such as how to pass object identifiers, IORs,
initialization services, etc.)

Quote:

> Thanks  and regards

> massimo

    Regards.
    diego.

--

       Departamento de Ingeniera y Tecnologa de Computadores
           Facultad de Informtica. Universidad de Murcia

" #"

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Corba newbie: corba server in dll/lib

Post by dsevi.. » Sat, 21 Oct 2000 04:00:00

HI, Massimo:

> Hi

> Until today I used only COM/DCOM. I don't have any experience with
> corba.
> I just started to study how corba works. Now ,after reading some corba
> stuff in the
> internet, a few questions arised.

> Am I right when I suppose that it is not possible to have a local corba
> server component
> in a dll respectively lib?

No, you're not right. Of course, you can put your CORBA server or component
inside a dll/lib. However, as in the CORBA world exists more than one
manufacturer of ORBs, you should check your ORB's documentation in this
regard. I know that MICO (www.mico.org) and TAO
(www.cs.wustl.edu/~schmidt/TAO.html) accept dynamic loading of server code
in dll/lib/so.

Quote:

> Is a corba server component started automatically when a corba client
> requests it?

You can program it that way, and that's the purpose of the IMR (at the
server level) together with the POA specification (at the object level).

Quote:

> As I've understand it is possible to write a corba server in C++ and the
> client in Java.  For
> which ORB's are binidigs available for both languages?

There are many, even freely available. Check for instance
http://adams.patriot.net/~tvalesky/freecorba.html . However, it is not a
requirement that an ORB support both languages: you can use an ORB for a
particular language and other ORB for other language. They are able to
comunicate.

Quote:

> It is possible to use the ORB delivered with the sun jdk togheter with a
> other ORB which supports
> C++ bindings?

Of course. This is the magic of CORBA: using the functionality regardless
of programming language, platform and OS. You must still know some
interoperatibility issues (such as how to pass object identifiers, IORs,
initialization services, etc.)

Quote:

> Thanks  and regards

> massimo

    Regards.
    diego.

--

       Departamento de Ingeniera y Tecnologa de Computadores
           Facultad de Informtica. Universidad de Murcia
Campus de Espinardo  -  30080 Murcia (SPAIN).  -  Tel. +34-968-367570
PGP:  http://pgp.rediris.es:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xC9B964B7

1. Launching a CORBA server from another CORBA server using Orbix

Hi,
    I am currently developing a load balancing and fault tolerance
architecture using Orbix in WINNT 4.0.
  Simulation of the problem
 ---------------------------
 A and B are 2 CORBA servers with name "A" and "B" respectively. I need
to launch the server B from server A ( e.g by invoking the windows API
CreateProcess ). B is registered with the orbix daemon via putit
command. But A is an unregistered server.
      When A is invoked separately everything goes fine. But when a is
invoked within B( CreateProcess ) a CORBA::Exception is thrown.
      The exception says that it expects the server name "B" in
the "impl_is_ready" call in the server A i.e. implementation of Orbix
is not able to understand that A is a separate process that has been
invoked by B. So it is expecting the name of the server B in A's
implementation ( impl_is_ready ) leading to a conflict in the server
names
                 I have carried out lots of research and development on
this issue and still not able to find out a solution. Please help me out
                                Rajrishi Roy
                                Ushacomm India Ltd.
                                India

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. nt4 and w2k

3. CORBA, CORBA, CORBA

4. RAID

5. How to uniquely identify CORBA client in CORBA server

6. BIND 9.2.0rc5 Win32 binaries available

7. Accessing Orbix or VisiBroker-based CORBA Server from a WLE-based CORBA client

8. DOD claims and GAO "disagree".

9. Connecting a CORBA Client to a CORBA Server on a different network.

10. Java/CORBA Client & C++/CORBA server

11. Non-CORBA Clients of CORBA Servers?

12. Connecting Corba Client on NT computer to Corba Server on same compter

13. Callback from external DLL in Corba Server App.