TIE or BOA?

Post by Amit Cohe » Wed, 24 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Hi.

I sent this message yesterday, and it looks as it did not reach the
group.
Forgive me if you get this twice.

We have a server written in C++ and clients in Java.

Our CORBA vendor is currently Iona, although it is possible we will
move to VisiBroker. The server is planed to run on a SPARC machine
running Solaris (compiler: SparcCompiler for C++), and the clients
are planed for WinNT (JBuilder).

Our current quandary is whether to use the TIE approach, or the
BOAImpl approach, while implementing our server.

We wonder which will run faster, which will result in a smaller
executable, and which is easier to implement and debug. Another
consideration is the future upgrading to the POA approach. Which one
will be easier to convert?

Thanks

Amit and Gera
Amit Cohen
Orckit Communications Ltd.
Tel: 972-3-6966992 Ext. 112

TIE or BOA?

Post by Roland Turne » Sun, 28 Jun 1998 04:00:00

> We have a server written in C++ and clients in Java.

> Our CORBA vendor is currently Iona, although it is possible we will
> move to VisiBroker. The server is planed to run on a SPARC machine
> running Solaris (compiler: SparcCompiler for C++), and the clients
> are planed for WinNT (JBuilder).

> Our current quandary is whether to use the TIE approach, or the
> BOAImpl approach, while implementing our server.

> We wonder which will run faster, which will result in a smaller
> executable, and which is easier to implement and debug. Another
> consideration is the future upgrading to the POA approach. Which one
> will be easier to convert?

The short answer is this: BOA has always been non-portable and is now
obselete. Avoid it like the plague.

The longer answer is this:

- Your TIE-based servers should continue to work when you switch to a
POA capable ORB. If you have written BOA dependant code in your TIE
servers, it will most likely be easier to port than if you have taken
the BOAImpl approach.

- The size increase and performance hit are negligible in almost all
cases.

- There are no obvious benefits either way for debugging.

- For Java servers, the TIE based implementation will be easier (than an
implementation built on Iona's BOAImpl approach) if your implementation
will include objects which might benefit from inheriting the
implementation of existing code (thus avoiding one set of
hand-implemented delegations).

- Raz

1. TIE vs BOA

I may be missing something obvious as I am quite new to Corba but...

How do you decide whether to use TIE or BOA? Is it just a 'personal
preference' or are the performance advantages of one over the other.

Thanks

Graham

2. MAT 6.6

3. Comparison between the TIE and BOA approaches

4. Running a 'personal firewall' such as ZoneAlarm or BlackIce Defender?

5. BOA vs TIE

6. 32 external "sun" cdrom

7. tie or no_tie: What about tie and no_tie ?

8. Redirection of "my documents"

9. Does USB tie up system?

10. Challenge to [BOA] those of you going LIVE:

11. BOA/MotoGP Grudge match

12. Calling all BOA members

13. BOA?