Tech report or paper on s/w and network interface overhead.

Tech report or paper on s/w and network interface overhead.

Post by Prakash Jayaram » Tue, 30 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Hello,

Is there any technical report or paper on the software and the network
interface overhead incurred by HP-9000, SGI Challenge, Sun S3.mp,
Stanford FLASH, Cray T3D, Princeton SHRIMP, IBM SP2, Intel Paragon
and/or Meiko CS2?

I have located the descriptions of all these machines on the web. But
they are all from the manufacturers of these machines. Is there a
paper or technical report from a third person?

thanks for your time

Prakash

Post by Rich Mart » Wed, 31 Jan 1996 04:00:00

Quote:(Prakash Jayaraman) writes:
> Is there any technical report or paper on the software and the network
> interface overhead incurred by HP-9000, SGI Challenge, Sun S3.mp,
> Stanford FLASH, Cray T3D, Princeton SHRIMP, IBM SP2, Intel Paragon
> and/or Meiko CS2?

Cray T3D:
        "Empirical Evaluation of the CRAY-T3D: A Compiler Perspective",
Remzi H. Arpaci, David E. Culler, Arvind Krishnamurthy, Steve Steinberg,
and Kathy Yelick, ISCA '95

                        [c.p. moderator: please don't used acronyms like ISCA,
        Expand Them: lots of readers doesn't know it stands for
        Intl. Symp. on Comp. Architecture.]

        Gives a detailed micro-benchmarks of the t3D memory hierarchy and
its implications for compilers.

        http://http.cs.berkeley.edu/~culler/papers/t3d.ps

Meiko & Paragon:

        "LogP Performance Assessment of Fast Network Interfaces",
David E. Culler, Lok T. Liu, Richard P.Martin, and Chad Yoshikawa.
IEEE Micro, February 1996

        Presents a micro-benchmark to automatically extract LogP parameters
and gives 3 examples.

        http://now.cs.berkeley.edu/Papers/Papers/Logp_Micro.ps

Cray T3D, Paragon, Alewife:

        "Remote Queues: Exposing Network Queues for Atomicity and
Optimization", Eric A. Brewer, Frederic T. Chong, Lok T. Liu,
John Kubiatowicz, and Shamik D. Sharma. SPAA '95

        Describes the Remote Queue abstraction on 3 platforms.

        http://HTTP.CS.Berkeley.EDU/~ltliu/papers/spaa95.ps

Paragon (more detail):

        "Evaluation of the Intel Paragon on Active Message Communication",
         Intel Supercomputer Users Group (ISUG) Conference, June 1995

        Detailed analysis of the communication performance of the Paragon.

        http://HTTP.CS.Berkeley.EDU/~ltliu/papers/isug95/isug_1.html

Post by Francois Mancho » Thu, 01 Feb 1996 04:00:00

Quote:(Prakash Jayaraman) writes:

|> Is there any technical report or paper on the software and the network
|> interface overhead incurred by HP-9000, SGI Challenge, Sun S3.mp,
|> Stanford FLASH, Cray T3D, Princeton SHRIMP, IBM SP2, Intel Paragon
|> and/or Meiko CS2?

This one is very interesting:

C. Papadopoulos, G.M. Parulkar. Experimental Evaluation of SunOS IPC
and TCP/IP Protocol Implementation. IEEE/ACM Trans. on Networking.
Vol1, nr 2. pp 199-216. April 1993.

        Francois
  ``Puisque toutes ces choses nous depassent,
    feignons d'en etre l'organisateur...'' -- Jean Cocteau

1. Please Help - HP Scanjet 4c ands NT

I have a HP Scanjet 4c which I would like to connect to a Windows NT
machine - The machine keeps reporting that the scanner is not connected,
though the scsi driver recognises the device.
Any Ideas?
Many thanks

2. problem during jpg export in landscape format

3. Network Traffic and Encoding overheads

4. Z80 - Where and how?

5. VxWorks Tech Papers

6. Using MAPI To Load Organizational Forms

7. Call for Paper: Parallel Architectures and Compilation Tech. 95

8. PB CRASHES, BUGS, AND WORKAROUNDS

9. 4th USENIX Conf on Object-Oriented Tech & Sys - Call for Papers

10. New Willows tech paper