IOPADS pre-registration deadline Nov. 3

Post by Rajeev Thaku » Tue, 04 Nov 1997 04:00:00

Please post this on comp.parallel...

IOPADS '97, the Fifth Workshop on I/O in Parallel and Distributed
Systems will be held on Monday, November 17, 1997, at the Wyndham
Hotel, San Jose, CA, USA. It will be co-located with SC97: High
Performance Networking and Computing (the 1997 entry in the former
Supercomputing 'XY series).

The IOPADS '97 program consists of a keynote talk by Dr. James Gray,
Senior Researcher, Microsoft Research, and ten carefully reviewed and
shepherded papers. The detailed program and registration form are
included below and are also available on the IOPADS '97 web page,
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/iopads .

Also of potential interest to IOPADS '97 attendees is a full-day
tutorial, "High Performance I/O Systems: Architectures, Software and
Applications" by Rajesh Bordawekar (California Institute of Technology)
and Alok Choudhary (Northwestern University), offered as part of the
SC97 tutorial program on Sunday, November 16, 1997. Registration for
this tutorial is separate from the IOPADS '97 registration; see the
SC97 web page, http://www.supercomp.org/sc97, for information on how
to register for this tutorial.

          Fifth Workshop on I/O in Parallel and Distributed Systems
                                 IOPADS '97

                          Monday, November 17, 1997
                                Wyndham Hotel
                              San Jose, CA, USA

                                  Schedule

7:30-8:15 Continental breakfast

8:15-8:30 Opening remarks

8:30-9:30 Session 1: Keynote
     Chair: David Kotz, Dartmouth College

     What Happens When Processors Are Infinitely Fast and Storage Is Free?
          Dr. James N. Gray, Senior Researcher, Microsoft Research

9:30-10:00 Break

10:00-11:30 Session 2: Distributed Systems
     Chair: Darren Vengroff, University of Delaware

     Exploiting Local Data in Parallel Array I/O on a Practical Network of
     Workstations
          Yong Cho and Marianne Winslett, Univ. of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
          Mahesh Subramaniam, Oracle Corporation
          Ying Chen and Szu-wen Kuo, Univ. of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign
          Kent E. Seamons, Transarc Corporation

     Remote I/O: Fast Access to Distant Storage
          Ian Foster, Argonne National Laboratory and University of Chicago
          David Kohr, Jr., Silicon Graphics, Inc.
          Rakesh Krishnaiyer, Syracuse Univ. and Argonne National Laboratory
          Jace Mogill, NASA Goddard Space Flight Center

     Efficient Distributed Backup with Delta Compression
          Randal C. Burns, IBM Almaden Research Center
          Darrell D. E. Long, University of California, Santa Cruz

11:30-1:00 Lunch

1:00- 2:30 Session 3: Prefetching and Caching
     Chair: Marianne Winslett, University of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign

     Design Issues of a Cooperative Cache with no Coherence Problems
          Toni Cortes, Sergi Girona, and Jesus Labarta,
          Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya, Spain

     Competitive Parallel Disk Prefetching and Buffer Management
          Rakesh Barve, Duke University
          Mahesh Kallahalla and Peter J. Varman, Rice University
          Jeffrey Scott Vitter, Duke University

     Input/Output Access Pattern Classification Using Hidden Markov Models
          Tara M. Madhyastha and Daniel A. Reed,

2:30- 3:00 Break

3:00- 4:00 Session 4: Out-of-Core Issues
     Chair: Rajesh Bordawekar, California Institute of Technology

     Multiprocessor Out-of-Core FFTs with Distributed Memory and Parallel
     Disks
          Thomas H. Cormen, Jake Wegmann, and David M. Nicol,
          Dartmouth College

     A Unified Compiler Algorithm for Optimizing Locality, Parallelism, and
     Communication in Out-of-Core Computations
          Mahmut Kandemir, Syracuse University
          Alok Choudhary, Northwestern University
          Jagannathan Ramanujam, Louisiana State University
          Meenakshi Kandaswamy, Syracuse University

4:00- 4:30 Break

4:30- 5:30 Session 5: Disk Arrays and I/O Interconnects
     Chair: Garth Gibson, Carnegie Mellon University

     The Scalability of Spatial Reuse Based Serial Storage Interfaces
          Tai-Sheng Chang, Sangyup Shim, and David H.C. Du,
          University of Minnesota

     Browsing and Placement of Multiresolution Images on Parallel Disks
          Sunil Prabhakar, Divyakant Agrawal, Amr El Abbadi, Ambuj Singh,
          and Terence Smith, University of California, Santa Barbara

------------------------------- CUT HERE -------------------------------

                     IOPADS '97 REGISTRATION FORM

NOTE: This form must be submitted by electronic mail, paper mail, or
fax by November 3, 1997.  Starting November 4, 1997, we will accept
registration ONLY ON-SITE.

IOPADS '97 is co-located with SC97 and will be held on November 17,
1997 at the Wyndham Hotel San Jose.  Our web site is
http://www.cs.dartmouth.edu/iopads/.  You can find the program there.

* To register by electronic mail, fill out this form and send it to

  electronic mail and paying by credit card, YOU WILL NEED TO SEND
  HARDCOPY FOLLOWUP CONTAINING YOUR SIGNATURE.

* To register by paper mail, fill out this form and send it to
    IOPADS '97 Registration
    Dartmouth College Department of Computer Science
    6211 Sudikoff Laboratory
    Hanover, NH 03755-3510

* To register by fax, fill out this form and fax it to 603-646-1672.

All registrants will receive one copy of the proceedings, continental
breakfast, luncheon, and coffee breaks.

Name:

Name you would like on your badge
  (default is the name you put above):

Affiliation:

Address:

Phone:

Fax:

Email address:

Dietary restrictions for luncheon:

Registration fee (see table below): $

  If ACM/SIG Member, your membership number:

Payment method (US currency only):
  Choose one of the following:
    Check
    Visa
    MasterCard
    American Express

  If paying by check:
    Please make the check to "ACM/IOPADS '97"

  If paying by Visa, MasterCard, or American Express:
    WE MUST HAVE YOUR SIGNATURE.  If you register by email,
    we must have a hardcopy followup with your signature.

    Card number:

    Expiration date:

    Your signature:

Registration fee table:
  Advance (by November 3, 1997):
    ACM/SIG Member      $165
    Non-ACM/SIG Member  $215
    Full-time student*   $85

  Late (on-site only):
    ACM/SIG Member      $200
    Non-ACM/SIG Member  $260
    Full-time student*  $105

  * Full-time students must show a valid student ID when picking up
    registration materials on-site.

--

Archive: http://www.hensa.ac.uk/parallel/internet/usenet/comp.parallel