Coalescing command-line and command-line-window?

Coalescing command-line and command-line-window?

Post by Dorai Sitar » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 02:53:57

Is it possible to edit the command-line in-place
without having to switch attention to a separate
command-line window?  I suspect it isn't, but may be
there's a neat trick that virtually coalesces them?

I find myself treating the one line on the command line
as an editable buffer, and the illusion is almost
complete, except that <esc> lands me on a
different buffer.

Thanks,

--d

Post by Gary Johnso » Thu, 18 Oct 2001 03:29:00

> Is it possible to edit the command-line in-place
> without having to switch attention to a separate
> command-line window?  I suspect it isn't, but may be
> there's a neat trick that virtually coalesces them?

Sure.  You can use the cursor keys (left and right arrows) to move back
and forth and backspace to erase.  See

    :help cmdline-editing

I use emacs-style key bindings for the cursor movement for consistency
with other programs and to avoid problems when using different
terminals, but it does feel weird to be using ^B and ^F to move the
cursor in vim.

Gary

Coalescing command-line and command-line-window?

Post by Dorai Sitar » Sat, 20 Oct 2001 04:02:07

Quote:

>I use emacs-style key bindings for the cursor movement for consistency
>with other programs and to avoid problems when using different
>terminals, but it does feel weird to be using ^B and ^F to move the
>cursor in vim.

Is there a way to get a cmap (for ^K, say, for
consistency with those other programs) that
deletes from cursor to end of the command line?  vim
has ^U that deletes from cursor to beginning of line.

Thanks,

--d

Post by Gary Johnso » Sat, 20 Oct 2001 05:49:21

> Is there a way to get a cmap (for ^K, say, for
> consistency with those other programs) that
> deletes from cursor to end of the command line?  vim
> has ^U that deletes from cursor to beginning of line.

Not that I know of.  I didn't find anything in either of

    :help cmdline-history
    :help emacs-keys

Gary

1. Shell Command Line Length & Command Line Function Resolution

I am trying to update the tornado 2.0.2 vxworks kernel for two different
issues:

1) I would like to increase the maximum command buffer length for the serial
terminal.  It is currently limited to 128 characters.  I cannot find a #define
for that value.

2) I would like to have overloaded functions automatically resolved for command
line execution to the non-object function as follows:

foo(int,int)
foo_obj::foo(int,int)

When entering foo(0,1) at the serial command line, I want it automatically
resolved to the function foo() and not foo_obj::foo().  The shell prompts for
function resolution, but I don't want our users burdoned with that question
since they will always be referring to foo() and not foo_obj::foo().

2. FP-Guestbook

3. multiple files, multiple windows, navigation, command-line to pop-up existing gvim window?

4. Documents on SD card and security

5. command-line commands within a Perl script

6. EZ Creator 4 update 4.02 WORKS....... at least.... uninstall is pefectly working......

7. Need Windows 95 command-line zip program.

8. Need IIc+ keyoard

9. Command-line arguments (printing) of PDF-files on a Windows-PC

10. Command-line IDL for Emacs on Windows: Callable IDL?

11. timing windows/dos command-line programs?

12. Wanted: CM11A W98 DOS command line program to perform immediate commands

13. Two subjects: shell command length & command line overloaded function resolution