in a terminal. What mode am I in?

Post by Jules Albert » Wed, 25 Dec 2002 19:22:07

Hello everyone,

(sorry if this is a FAQ, Google wasn't my friend)

I've been using Vim for a few years now on both windows nt and linux
(at the moment redhat 7.3). I find myself using vim (the terminal
version) more than gvim lately.

There's one problem with vim compared to gvim: I can't see (without
looking at the bottom of the screen) what mode I'm in. In gvim, the
cursorshape does this for me, but AFAIK this isn't possible in a
terminal.

The "-- INSERT --" string at the bottom of the screen isn't explicit
enough for me, I find myself repeatingly typing commands in insert
mode and vice versa.

So now I'm looking for a way to indicate which mode I'm in. For me, it
would be enough to see if I'm in either insert of replace mode, or in
any other mode. I was thinking about these:

- cursorshape. I'm afraid this isn't possible in a terminal. Or is it?
- use a different background color when in insert/replace mode. But
  how would I do this?

Any tips / pointers? TIA!

in a terminal. What mode am I in?

Post by Sven Gucke » Fri, 27 Dec 2002 17:11:34

Quote:> There's one problem with vim compared to gvim: I can't
> see (without looking at the bottom of the screen) what
> mode I'm in.  In gvim, the cursorshape does this for me,
> but AFAIK this isn't possible in a terminal. [..] So now
> I'm looking for a way to indicate which mode I'm in. [..]
> use a different background color
> when in insert/replace mode.

i had once requested this myself and i think
Bram had put this onto his todo list...  so
i can only hope that he will add this some time.

Sven

1. Any Terminal Plug-ins for Netscape Navigator ???

Hi,

        I am looking for some sort of Terminal / Telnet / Kermit
Plug-ins to be used with Netscape Navigator or any Internet Browser.

        The purpose is to allow a user (web browser) to click a button
and pop-up a windows to access a Unix / Database server (SCO unix or
NT Telnet Server).

        Do you have any ideas where I could find this ???

Thanks for your help !

2. Oracle on OpenVMS discussion group?

3. Incorrect response to request of terminal mode status (DEC modes) - MS-DOS Kermit, Terminal interrogation commands

4. frontpage, NT and ASP bug

5. Bitmap reader with palette manager support

6. Scanning plug-ins

7. AD for Training

8. Mirrowind OXM Disc, Plug-Ins, Patches

9. Clever Keyboard Indicator: Caps/Num/Scroll Locks and Ins indicators,OSD text,sound notifications

10. HomeSeer plug-ins

11. NeXT Black Colour - which SONY is it ins

12. Direct Client Walk-ins for Jr.Java Developer's @ Atlanta, GA(70 Positions) Locals Preffered