Dynamic HTML, On-the-fly pages

Post by mo.. » Sat, 07 Mar 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I work on a Macintosh and up until now, I have been designing all of my pages
> using Pagespinner. I am finding that the gigantic websites that I've created

I will struggle mightily to (make|keep) this topical on comp.editors.  :)
There really is some vi[m] macro info at the bottom.[0]

Quote:> The problem is, I have spent hours searching for the applications that would
> most benefit me. I have been looking at Cold Fusion, *studio, Homesite,
> Dreamweaver, and even Interactor, but I don't know whether any of these will
> help me accomplish the goal of creating template-based HTML and graphics on a
> Macintosh (pages are being hosted on a Unix Digital Server). Where do I go
> from here? What all does this kind of shift encompass? New software on the
> server? CGI programming?

I've built template-built www pages (with vi! :) a few different  ways.
Building the whole site in cgi is a bit wasteful (from a webmaster's PoV)
of wwwserver resources, but nifty for pulling in reusable chunks.
It's easier on the server to build each little chunk of the pages and
concatenate them all together into .html whenever something changes.

-=simple example=-
#!/bin/sh
for MYFILE in index contact blah foo bar

do
        cat header $MYFILE.body footer > $MYFILE.html
done

-=end=-

This one would go through and build .html files for index, contact,
blah, foo and bar using the common header and footer files and a
discrete file called index.body (etc).

If you deal with this site more than any others, you could define the
commonly used text, filenames, menus, etc, as macros in Your Favorite
Editor.

-=from a hypothetical .vimrc (should be on one line)=-
-=end=-

In vi[m] this would inject the menu wherever you typed MENU.

Quote:> Anyone know of any really good off-the-shelf solutions for making the
> transition from static website design to dynamic website design?

A starving college student?  :)

[0] Pls check up on this stuff before using these scripts and macros,
as I'm talking off the top of my head, and I'm not really that good at
it anyhow.
--
L.V.X.,

jc      http://www.veryComputer.com/~mouse

"Tide told me that a girlfriend once said after the death of her
husband 'God has moved me up into a more advanced class, the desks are
still a little too big for me.'"  Diary, Etty Hillesum.  1942.

1. Quark -> HTML (on-the-fly or batch conversion)

I write for a newspaper in Charlottesville, VA and we'd like to put our
archives on the web.  Is there a tool (e.g. a WebSTAR plugin) which will
convert Quark documents to HTML and serve them out on the fly?  Failing
that, is there a good tool to batch-convert Quark docs to HTML?  (I can
do some basic AppleScripting if that's necessary.)  We have several
years' worth of archives so we're placing a high priority on
automation. -- Joe

2. Printer driver

3. Excel 5.0 Macros to accept user input on-the-fly?

4. Saber Windows and OS/2 Connect

5. Source for On-The-Fly disk compression?

6. Jumps in inline asm

7. Difference between REAL TIME COMPRESSION and ON-THE-FLY COMPRESSION

8. Chat on AS/400

9. compression on-the-fly

10. Use of Info-ZIP source for on-the-fly (de)compression?

11. On-the-fly compression/decompression

12. on-the-fly; data compression

13. DOS 6.0 on-the-fly compression prog.