Need: Small DOS editor like DOs's 'edit' program

Need: Small DOS editor like DOs's 'edit' program

Post by k.. » Thu, 09 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Hi, I am looking for a very simple, full-screen editor for the DOS
environment.  i want to use it in boot disks.  I like the DOS Edit
program, but it also needs qbasic to run; I would prefer a singl-file full
screen editor, that is very small.  Does such a little beast exist?  I
don't need spell check, etc.

Thanks,

Kevin

Need: Small DOS editor like DOs's 'edit' program

Post by Paul O Bartlet » Thu, 09 Jan 1997 04:00:00

(Posted and courtesy emailed.)

Quote:> Hi, I am looking for a very simple, full-screen editor for the DOS
> environment.  i want to use it in boot disks.  I like the DOS Edit
> program, but it also needs qbasic to run; I would prefer a singl-file full
> screen editor, that is very small.  Does such a little beast exist?  I
> don't need spell check, etc.

    The SimTel Repository and its mirrors have oodles and oodles of
editors for DOS, a number of them quite small and self-contained and
yet unexpectedly capable for their size.  I have been using SLED, by
Sam Wilmott, for almost two years now and have been very satisfied with
it.  It is only 17K but partially customizable.  (Despite the doc, it
is now freeware.)  IBM's Tiny Ed (9K without an external help file) also
looks fairly decent, although I haven't used it much.  A few (not many)
of the editors even come with source.  Look in

ftp://ftp.coast.net/pub/Coast/disk2/msdos/editor/

ftp://ftp.cdrom.com/.1/simtelnet/msdos/editor/

Both directories have thumbnail sketches in 00_index.txt .

Paul O. Bartlett, P.O. Box 857, Vienna, VA 22183-0857, USA
Finger, keyserver, or WWW for PGP 2.6.2 public key
Home Page:  http://www.access.digex.net/~pobart

Need: Small DOS editor like DOs's 'edit' program

Post by Jim Wilso » Fri, 10 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Kevin;

Quote:> Hi, I am looking for a very simple, full-screen editor for the DOS
> environment.  i want to use it in boot disks.  I like the DOS Edit
> program, but it also needs qbasic to run; I would prefer a singl-file full
> screen editor, that is very small.  Does such a little beast exist?  I
> don't need spell check, etc.

Goota check out Qedit Jr. This little beast is loaded with features, can
be
customized quite extensively, and is able to edit multiple files in as
many
windows as will fit in 640K. All in all a nice program.

You can snare a copy at www.semware.com.

--

Jim Wilson

Need: Small DOS editor like DOs's 'edit' program

Post by Al A » Mon, 13 Jan 1997 04:00:00

terse ( or its update: slim )  by professor yossi of haifa, israel.

(4k & 5k, respectively)  are works of art/compact programing.

-
terse you can download from SIMTEL or GARBO.

slim, is much harder to get.
-

limitation:  64k of text.

platform: DOS

--------------------

: Kevin;

: > Hi, I am looking for a very simple, full-screen editor for the DOS
: > environment.  i want to use it in boot disks.  I like the DOS Edit
: > program, but it also needs qbasic to run; I would prefer a singl-file full
: > screen editor, that is very small.  Does such a little beast exist?  I
: > don't need spell check, etc.

: Goota check out Qedit Jr. This little beast is loaded with features, can
: be
: customized quite extensively, and is able to edit multiple files in as
: many
: windows as will fit in 640K. All in all a nice program.

: You can snare a copy at www.semware.com.

: --

: Jim Wilson

--
=-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
al aab, seders moderator                                      sed u soon

Post by Lin Sprag » Tue, 14 Jan 1997 04:00:00

:     The SimTel Repository and its mirrors have oodles and oodles of
: editors for DOS, a number of them quite small and self-contained and
: yet unexpectedly capable for their size.  I have been using SLED, by
: Sam Wilmott, for almost two years now and have been very satisfied with
: it.  It is only 17K but partially customizable.  (Despite the doc, it

I like TED. There are a few versions out there, one or two of which I
have found to be buggy. I use version 3, which works well. It can cut
and paste, has built-in help, and is only about 13K in size. I'm sure
it can only edit small files, but it's a great editor to put on boot
disks.

--

              ...Lin Sprague...

Need: Small DOS editor like DOs's 'edit' program

Post by RenĂ© Scho » Tue, 14 Jan 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>I like TED. There are a few versions out there, one or two of which I
>have found to be buggy. I use version 3, which works well. It can cut
>and paste, has built-in help, and is only about 13K in size. I'm sure
>it can only edit small files, but it's a great editor to put on boot
>disks.

That's nothing compared to Terse, the 4Kb Editor. Look at
  http://www2.informatik.uni-jena.de/~mrz/pub/msdos/msdos.html

theses are the

Highlights
==========

 o  Very small: fits in 4096 bytes = 4 clusters on 5.25"/3.5" floppies.
 o  Minimal free memory requirements: 137KB.
 o  Uses current screen size, including the most common 80x25 screen
    dimensions but also unusual sizes such as 40x16, 40x25, 40x40,
    40x50, 132x25, 132x43, 96x33, 80x30, 80x33, etc.
 o  Fully DESQview (version 2.0 and above) aware.
 o  Edit binary files. TERSE is ideal for a quick and dirty job
    of editing and patching strings in small programs.
 o  Supports editing of UNIX style files (lines terminated with '\n').
 o  Supports both '/' and '\' as directory separator.
 o  Edit lines of unlimited length (limited only by file size).
 o  Automatic unlimited horizontal scrolling.
 o  BRIEF-like keyboard configuration.
 o  Support for TABS, and configurable tab positions.
 o  Prevents snow when run on a CGA screen.
 o  CUT, COPY and PASTE
 o  SEARCH, SEARCH again, and TRANSLATE commands.
 o  Safe: confirm exits when text is not saved.
 o  Edit files whose name contains spaces and other weird names.
 o  Extended version (the SLIM editor) of size ~5k with many more
    features, including support (via external filters) for word count,
    sorting, charcter codes translations, quoting, tab expansion and
    unexapnsion, and other complex editing tasks.
 o  Status line indicating: current column, current line, horizontal
    scrolling, total number of lines, file name, modified status,
    insert/overwrite status, the current offset in file
    and total file size
    in bytes are dispalyed in the status line. The extended version
    also displays the HeX value of the current char.

ren
--

=>  Wenn Debuggen der Vorgang ist, Fehler aus einem Programm auszubauen,    <=
=>  dann ist Programmieren der Vorgang, Fehler in ein Programm einzubauen!  <=

1. ie6: When is 'done' *really* done?

dear in-the-know --

i've got the problem to determine when IE6 has entirely finished the
download of a page (including all referred content *and its
client-side execution*) with a capture / replay tool. the 'done'
message in the left corner of the status bar is completely useless for
this purpose since it is displayed various times when a complex page
is loaded. i've seen IE6 downloading pages where he's 'done' for
thirty seconds after inputting the URL (and the status bar is cleared
otherwise: no progress bar) and then a redirect kicks in etc.
anyway: my question is: can you think of any clear sign (visible or
rather invisible; usable for an automated routine) that IE6 is
*entirely finished* downloading a URL?

thanks in advance and

best!

~ andre

2. Which banking program

3. 'E' editor in PC-DOS 6.1

4. A Favor To Mr Borkowski

5. How to create a 'font' 'pitch' edit boxes in a window?

6. Error in using drivers for mySql

7. Any user friendly 'editor like' to edit/generate TERMCAP files ?

9. Win32 Console programs and 'Quick Edit' mode hangs the console window.

10. 'DoorBell Fon' with a phone system, anyone done this?

11. Problem with '-t[date]' option in PKZIP for DOS

12. FS5 MS DOS 'Unable to Lock XMS'