Census 2000 Data model, documentation, County and Zip Level data and Matching software

Census 2000 Data model, documentation, County and Zip Level data and Matching software

Post by Roger DeAngel » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 07:05:15

For those SAS-Lrs who are interested in the Census 2000 data, I have
made available more detailed data on my site. All data models,
meta data, Zip, County tables and SAS matching code are based
on the Census data model. You can tie column names,
geography and table names directly to the exhaustive Census
published data and documentation.

This should make quality control with other sources of Census
data rather easy, as long as other sources can tie to Census meta
data.

I am approaching the Census data from Zip+4 geography, I have tried to
select the closest Zip+4, based on latitude and longitude, to each of
the
8,262,363 census blocks(entire US, DC Puerto Rico). I can then match
the block data to internal customer lists based on zip+4. If a match
fails on the 9 digit Zip+4, I drop last digit and use zip+3 (
summarized record ), if that fails I drop another digit ...

The SAS matching software implements the drop last digit logic. You
can use the Zip level ethnic data ( 43,019 rows and 288 columns) and
the SAS software to concatenate ethnic data to your Zip level lists.

If anyone out there has a 100Gb of ftp space, I am willing to build
and
store the SAS data model and make the SAS tables available to all.
This model makes the raw Census 2000 counts easy to use.

I only ask that the site follow the free software/data GNU model.

Roger DeAngelis
49 Spackenkill Rd
Poughkeepsie NY 12603
845-463-2770

http://members.aol.com/xlr82sas/utl.html

Census 2000 Data model, documentation, County and Zip Level data and Matching software

Post by Karsten M. Se » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 11:51:58

Quote:> For those SAS-Lrs who are interested in the Census 2000 data, I have
> made available more detailed data on my site. All data models,
> meta data, Zip, County tables and SAS matching code are based
> on the Census data model. You can tie column names,
> geography and table names directly to the exhaustive Census
> published data and documentation.

> This should make quality control with other sources of Census
> data rather easy, as long as other sources can tie to Census meta
> data.

> I am approaching the Census data from Zip+4 geography, I have tried to
> select the closest Zip+4, based on latitude and longitude, to each of
> the
> 8,262,363 census blocks(entire US, DC Puerto Rico). I can then match
> the block data to internal customer lists based on zip+4. If a match
> fails on the 9 digit Zip+4, I drop last digit and use zip+3 (
> summarized record ), if that fails I drop another digit ...

> The SAS matching software implements the drop last digit logic. You
> can use the Zip level ethnic data ( 43,019 rows and 288 columns) and
> the SAS software to concatenate ethnic data to your Zip level lists.

> If anyone out there has a 100Gb of ftp space, I am willing to build
> and
> store the SAS data model and make the SAS tables available to all.
> This model makes the raw Census 2000 counts easy to use.

> I only ask that the site follow the free software/data GNU model.

I'd suggest you contact iBiblio:

    http://www.ibiblio.org/

This is a publicly available archive that specializes in providing
"collections of collections", with a broad mandate.  It's a project of
UNC Chapel Hill, and the Center for the Public Domain.

For general information, see:

   About iBiblio:        http://www.ibiblio.org/about.html
   FAQ:                  http://www.ibiblio.org/faq/index.shtml
   Collection Criteria:  http://www.ibiblio.org/collection.html

Peace.

--

 What part of "Gestalt" don't you understand?             Home of the brave
  http://gestalt-system.sourceforge.net/                   Land of the free

  application_pgp-signature_part
< 1K Download