URL Access Method problem (ERROR: Service httpd not found)

URL Access Method problem (ERROR: Service httpd not found)

Post by lr26 » Thu, 12 Oct 2000 04:00:00

Using SAS V8.0 (on either OS/390 2.9 or WinNT 4.0) I can't seem to
get the URL access method to work.

If I code:

FILENAME FRED URL 'http://blah.blah.blah';
DATA;
  INFILE FRED;
  INPUT;
  PUT _INFILE_;
RUN;

I get the message:

ERROR: Service httpd not found.

I'm pretty sure I've specified the correct URL; I can get to it
with Netscape, and I copied/pasted the URL from Netscape
into the FILENAME statement.  I don't specify a proxy server
in Netscape.

I don't have an httpd server running on my NT box, but I
don't see why that would be necessary.  I have SAS config'd
to use the default browser (Netscape).  I read the (rather
brief) description in the online manual, and I don't find
anything about the URL access method on the SAS TS docs.

Is there anybody out there who has used the URL access
method to read data from a "remote" web server?

Thanks,
Larry

URL Access Method problem (ERROR: Service httpd not found)

Post by Don Stanl » Fri, 13 Oct 2000 04:00:00

try putting :80 or whatever port number applies at the end of the URL

Don

--
Don Stanley, B.SC, Dip O.R.S, MNZCS     Director, Sysware Consulting
Group

                                        http://www.sysware.co.nz

Author:: Beyond the obvious with SAS Screen Control Language.
Author:: Solutions for your GUI Applications Development Using SAS/AF
FRAME Technology

http://www.geocities.com/don_stanley_nz/don_home.htm
Genealogy:: http://www.geocities.com/don_stanley_nz/family.htm
SAS Tips:: http://www.geocities.com/don_stanley_nz/sastips.htm

URL Access Method problem (ERROR: Service httpd not found)

Post by L. Bertolin » Fri, 13 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I figured it out.
Apparently, because there was no entry for httpd in TCPIP.ETC.SERVICES,
I had to stick ":80" into the URL:

FILENAME FRED URL 'http://blah.blah.blah:80/filename';

And I have to give a tip o' the hat to SI; the URL access method
is super-slick.

LB

> Using SAS V8.0 (on either OS/390 2.9 or WinNT 4.0) I can't seem to
> get the URL access method to work.

> If I code:

> FILENAME FRED URL 'http://blah.blah.blah';
> DATA;
>   INFILE FRED;
>   INPUT;
>   PUT _INFILE_;
> RUN;

> I get the message:

> ERROR: Service httpd not found.

--
Larry Bertolini
Office of Information Technology

1. URL Access Method problem (ERROR: Service httpd not found)

Hi!
You should have these two lines in Your etc/services file
httpd            80/tcp
httpd            80/udp

so should also the URL have, most don't.

SAS V8.0 (on either OS/390 2.9 or WinNT 4.0) I can't seem to > get the
URL access method to work. > > If I code: > > FILENAME FRED URL
'http://blah.blah.blah'; > DATA; > INFILE FRED; > INPUT; > PUT _INFILE_;
I'm pretty sure I've specified the correct URL; I can get to it > with
Netscape, and I copied/pasted the URL from Netscape > into the FILENAME
statement. I don't specify a proxy server > in Netscape. > > I don't
have an httpd server running on my NT box, but I > don't see why that
would be necessary. I have SAS config'd > to use the default browser
(Netscape). I read the (rather > brief) description in the online
manual, and I don't find > anything about the URL access method on the
SAS TS docs. > > Is there anybody out there who has used the URL access

2. MSDN MSJ 1995 ISSUES

3. read Cold Fusion using URL access method?

4. Need Reource On Desciption On Windows/System/*. DLL

5. SASTip: Use CURL instead of URL access method for advanced web page retrieval

6. Web Site Design

7. Error: Internal error in agent - Child not found (-12000)

8. Privilege level and CON

9. GetCloseWindows() : Error Child Not found,Internal Error in Agent

10. ip/httpd/httpd -c foo.pem invocation recipes?

11. SAS 8 startup failure (Library xxx is not in a valid format for access method RANDOM)

12. Method BOA_init() not found