Bridge failure errors in SAS under OpenVMS

Bridge failure errors in SAS under OpenVMS

Post by Jack Hamilt » Fri, 21 Feb 2003 03:25:57

We have been getting "bridge failure" errors in SAS 8.2 under OpenVMS
recently.  The OpenVMS sysadmin claims that nothing has changed, and the
system hadn't been rebooted for almost a year when the problem started.

I requested that my paging and open file quotas be doubled, and that
eliminated some (excessively vague) "ERROR: Process quota exceeded"
messages, but we're still seeing bridge failures when you use
interactive SAS under X Windows.

Are other OpenVMS users having this problem?  Here are my process
quotas:

MTCODE1:[PROJCODE.HAMILTJA]$ sho process /quota

19-FEB-2003 11:25:23.77   User: HAMILTJA         Process ID:
00002DBB
                          Node: DONETI           Process name:
"HAMILTJA"

Process Quotas:
 Account name: AS
 CPU limit:                      Infinite  Direct I/O limit:       150
 Buffered I/O byte count quota:    299168  Buffered I/O limit:     200
 Timer queue entry quota:             150  Open file quota:        512
 Paging file quota:                791392  Subprocess quota:        10
 Default page fault cluster:           64  AST quota:              198
 Enqueue quota:                       699  Shared file limit:        0
 Max detached processes:                0  Max active jobs:          0

--

Manager, Technical Development
METRICS Department, First Health

Bridge failure errors in SAS under OpenVMS

Post by Charles Patrid » Sat, 22 Feb 2003 22:36:43

Hi Jack,

Sorry I have not responded sooner but I was attending the HASUG meeting
yesterday, and my LAN Administrator was out a couple of days.  In any case,
I asked my LAN GOD if he had any thoughtful prayers for your situation, and
here is what he had to offer:

Chuck,

We've never run across a "bridge failure", but quota problems we have had.
The SAS Install guide recommends the following:

BYTLM = 150,000
FILLM =         512
WSDEF =     2,048
WSQUO =    8,192
WSEXTENT= 65,536
JTQUOTA =     4,096
PGFLQUOTA = 200,000

It appears that Jack has already exceeded the BYTLM & PGFLQUOTA
recommendations. However, we usually increase ENQUEUE QUOTA (ENQLM) to
2,000, direct I/O limit  (DIOLM) to 300 or so, buffered I/O limit (BIOLM)
to 300 or higher, and AST limit (ASTLM) appropriately, based on diolm &
biolm. ASTLM should be "DIOLM+BIOLM + 10). We also set JTQUOTA = 8192
globally.  He may also want to compare his working set quotas
(wsdef,wsquo,wsextent) to the recommended values.

Hope this helps,

Dennis M. Rihm
The Hartford Financial Services Group
Hartford Plaza HO-GL-140
Hartford, CT 06115

Maybe somewhere in his detail response, you might find a clue.

HTH,
Charles Patridge
An OpenVMS SAS user

1. OPENVMS Filename Error SAS V8.2

To any OpenVms SAS V8 Users,

We have a macro which issues all of our Libnames and Filenames from our
production macro library.

However, to get access to this macro library we first have to issue
a filename to this library using one of our system defined macro logicals.

But when the macro which issues all of our Libnames and Filenames, we get
an error on a filename that was used previously to get access to the macro
library.

Everything seems to work OK but it is disturbing to see ERRORs in our logs.
Has anyone seen this, and how did you correct it?  I have SI technical
support looking into it for me but I thought I would ask SAS-L community
for any insights.

I suspect we could use a different FILENAME "REF" to get access to our
macro library and eliminate these nasty log messages:

Here is a sample of the log where you can see the error message:

1            FILENAME PREMPGMS 'PREMPGMS';
2            FILENAME PMACRO   'PMACRO'  ;
3            OPTIONS CC=CR MAUTOSOURCE SOURCE SOURCE2 SASAUTOS=
(PREMPGMS,PMACRO,SASAUTOS);
4            options mprint mlogic symbolgen;
5            %MYREFS;
MLOGIC(MYREFS):  Beginning execution.
MLOGIC(MYREFS):  This macro was compiled from the autocall file APPL5:
[PLANNING.MACRO]MYREFS.SAS
MPRINT(MYREFS):   FILENAME PMACRO 'PMACRO' ;
ERROR: File is already open.
ERROR: File is already open.
ERROR: File is already open.
ERROR: Error in the FILENAME statement.
ERROR: Error in the FILENAME statement.
ERROR: Error in the FILENAME statement.
MPRINT(MYREFS):   FILENAME PREMPGMS 'PREMPGMS';
ERROR: File is already open.
ERROR: File is already open.
ERROR: File is already open.
ERROR: Error in the FILENAME statement.
ERROR: Error in the FILENAME statement.
ERROR: Error in the FILENAME statement.
MPRINT(MYREFS):   FILENAME LOSSPGMS 'LOSSPGMS';
MPRINT(MYREFS):   OPTIONS SASAUTOS=(PMACRO, PREMPGMS,LOSSPGMS,SASAUTOS);
MLOGIC(MYREFS):  Ending execution.
6            options nomprint nomlogic nosymbolgen;
7            data test; x=1; run;

NOTE: The data set WORK.TEST has 1 observations and 1 variables.
NOTE: DATA statement used:
      real time           0.51 seconds
      cpu time            0.09 seconds

ERROR: Errors printed on page 4.
ERROR: Errors printed on page 4.
ERROR: Errors printed on page 4.

NOTE: SAS Institute Inc., SAS Campus Drive, Cary, NC USA 27513-2414
NOTE: The SAS System used:
      real time           4.81 seconds
      cpu time            1.10 seconds

Regards,
Charles Patridge

Thanks for any help you might be able to offer.

2. NS/2 Error

3. SAS/Connect Problem from OpenVMS to Unix

4. unpack Openwindows "mailtool" attachments?

5. OpenVMS, SAS and File Version Number

6. IRC Chat invite

7. SAS jobs running V8 will be hang in OpenVMS

8. Sound card in loop

9. Subject: SAS FILENAME V8 in OpenVMS

10. SAS/Connect ver 8.1 on OpenVMS

11. Unable to load transient module(bridge failure)

12. SAS Connect using OS/2 and DEC OpenVMS AXP

13. Help: Ugly error messages in IDL under DEC OpenVMS 1.5