Why am I getting this warning "dataset may be incomplete" ?

Why am I getting this warning "dataset may be incomplete" ?

Post by Le » Mon, 14 Jan 2002 02:55:13

Hello
Very strange... I have been running this program for years
and all of a sudden I get the following warning:

" WARNING: The data set WORK.ONE may be incomplete.  "

I'm doing the simplest of infile/input steps and can't for the life of
me figure out what SAS is complaining about! There are indeed 309,303
observations in the dataset so it's not as if the program is crashing
before it's done.

Does anyone out there know what SAS is trying to tell me? Here's the
log. Thanks!

68   data one;
69   infile 'e:\acg2002\outbasea.txt' lrecl=55  pad;
70   input
71   strictzn 1-10
72   age    11-13
73   sex       14
74   adg1      15
75   adg2      16
76   adg3      17
77   adg4      18
78   adg5      19
79   adg6      20
80   adg7      21
81   adg8      22
82   adg9      23
83   adg10     24
84   adg11     25
85   adg12     26
86   adg13     27
87   adg14     28
88   adg15     29
89   adg16     30
90   adg17     31
91   adg18     32
92   adg19     33
93   adg20     34
94   adg21     35
95   adg22     36
96   adg23     37
97   adg24     38
98   adg25     39
99   adg26     40
100  adg27     41
101  adg28     42
102  adg29     43
103  adg30     44
104  adg31     45
105  adg32     46
106  adg33     47
107  adg34     48
108  acg       49-52
109  pre       53
110  del       54
111  low       55;
112  run;

NOTE: The infile 'e:\acg2002\outbasea.txt' is:
      File Name=e:\acg2002\outbasea.txt,
      RECFM=V,LRECL=55

NOTE: 309303 records were read from the infile
'e:\acg2002\outbasea.txt'.
      The minimum record length was 55.
      The maximum record length was 55.
WARNING: The data set WORK.ONE may be incomplete.  When this step was
stopped there were 309303 observations and 41
         variables.
WARNING: Data set WORK.ONE was not replaced because this step was
stopped.
NOTE: DATA statement used:
      real time           9.54 seconds
      cpu time            5.85 seconds

Why am I getting this warning "dataset may be incomplete" ?

Post by Roger Lusti » Mon, 14 Jan 2002 03:41:24

Lea:

If, as it seems, you're in Windows, then it's likely that what happened
is something that's occasionally happened to me: somehow the NOREPLACE
option got turned on.  At this point I usually just close down the SAS
session and start a new one.

This has been a problem all through V8.x, and appears intermittently.  I
once submitted a (long) log to TS, but never heard back.

It usually happens after a good deal of other processing has been done,
i.e., not at the beginning of a SAS session.  I use a lot of homegrown
macros (none of which invoke the NOREPLACE option), and that may have
something to do with it.

If you haven't closed out your SAS session yet, try

a) running another program that replaces a dataset;

b) replace a dataset using PROC SQL (if you have such a program handy).

If a) gives you the message again, and b) works fine, then you may have
what I've encountered.

Roger

> Hello
> Very strange... I have been running this program for years
> and all of a sudden I get the following warning:

> " WARNING: The data set WORK.ONE may be incomplete.  "

> I'm doing the simplest of infile/input steps and can't for the life of
> me figure out what SAS is complaining about! There are indeed 309,303
> observations in the dataset so it's not as if the program is crashing
> before it's done.

> Does anyone out there know what SAS is trying to tell me? Here's the
> log. Thanks!

> 68   data one;
> 69   infile 'e:\acg2002\outbasea.txt' lrecl=55  pad;
> 70   input
> 71   strictzn 1-10
> 72   age    11-13
> 73   sex       14
> 74   adg1      15
> 75   adg2      16
> 76   adg3      17
> 77   adg4      18
> 78   adg5      19
> 79   adg6      20
> 80   adg7      21
> 81   adg8      22
> 82   adg9      23
> 83   adg10     24
> 84   adg11     25
> 85   adg12     26
> 86   adg13     27
> 87   adg14     28
> 88   adg15     29
> 89   adg16     30
> 90   adg17     31
> 91   adg18     32
> 92   adg19     33
> 93   adg20     34
> 94   adg21     35
> 95   adg22     36
> 96   adg23     37
> 97   adg24     38
> 98   adg25     39
> 99   adg26     40
> 100  adg27     41
> 101  adg28     42
> 102  adg29     43
> 103  adg30     44
> 104  adg31     45
> 105  adg32     46
> 106  adg33     47
> 107  adg34     48
> 108  acg       49-52
> 109  pre       53
> 110  del       54
> 111  low       55;
> 112  run;

> NOTE: The infile 'e:\acg2002\outbasea.txt' is:
>       File Name=e:\acg2002\outbasea.txt,
>       RECFM=V,LRECL=55

> NOTE: 309303 records were read from the infile
> 'e:\acg2002\outbasea.txt'.
>       The minimum record length was 55.
>       The maximum record length was 55.
> WARNING: The data set WORK.ONE may be incomplete.  When this step was
> stopped there were 309303 observations and 41
>          variables.
> WARNING: Data set WORK.ONE was not replaced because this step was
> stopped.
> NOTE: DATA statement used:
>       real time           9.54 seconds
>       cpu time            5.85 seconds

Why am I getting this warning "dataset may be incomplete" ?

Post by Arthur Tabachnec » Mon, 14 Jan 2002 08:12:40

Unfortunately, you may have to wait until one of the real gurus sees your
message.

I was only able to partially replicate the message you got if I aborted the
run (i.e., pressed control+break) but, with SAS 8, was able to input a
similar file with over 2 million records.

Is it possible that your hard drive is full?

Art
-----------

Quote:> Hello

Post by cricke » Mon, 14 Jan 2002 12:27:58

> Unfortunately, you may have to wait until one of the real gurus sees your
> message.

> I was only able to partially replicate the message you got if I aborted the
> run (i.e., pressed control+break) but, with SAS 8, was able to input a
> similar file with over 2 million records.

> Is it possible that your hard drive is full?

> Art
> -----------

> > Hello
> > Very strange... I have been running this program for years
> > and all of a sudden I get the following warning:

> > " WARNING: The data set WORK.ONE may be incomplete.  "

Hi, have you tried seeing how much data you can load before you get
the message? If you get the same message with only half the data, for
example, it might not be related to disk space so much as something
else.  Good luck.

Quote:

> > I'm doing the simplest of infile/input steps and can't for the life of
> > me figure out what SAS is complaining about! There are indeed 309,303
> > observations in the dataset so it's not as if the program is crashing
> > before it's done.

> > Does anyone out there know what SAS is trying to tell me? Here's the
> > log. Thanks!

> > 68   data one;
> > 69   infile 'e:\acg2002\outbasea.txt' lrecl=55  pad;
> > 70   input
> > 71   strictzn 1-10
> > 72   age    11-13
> > 73   sex       14
> > 74   adg1      15
> > 75   adg2      16
> > 76   adg3      17
> > 77   adg4      18
> > 78   adg5      19
> > 79   adg6      20
> > 80   adg7      21
> > 81   adg8      22
> > 82   adg9      23
> > 83   adg10     24
> > 84   adg11     25
> > 85   adg12     26
> > 86   adg13     27
> > 87   adg14     28
> > 88   adg15     29
> > 89   adg16     30
> > 90   adg17     31
> > 91   adg18     32
> > 92   adg19     33
> > 93   adg20     34
> > 94   adg21     35
> > 95   adg22     36
> > 96   adg23     37
> > 97   adg24     38
> > 98   adg25     39
> > 99   adg26     40
> > 100  adg27     41
> > 101  adg28     42
> > 102  adg29     43
> > 103  adg30     44
> > 104  adg31     45
> > 105  adg32     46
> > 106  adg33     47
> > 107  adg34     48
> > 108  acg       49-52
> > 109  pre       53
> > 110  del       54
> > 111  low       55;
> > 112  run;

> > NOTE: The infile 'e:\acg2002\outbasea.txt' is:
> >       File Name=e:\acg2002\outbasea.txt,
> >       RECFM=V,LRECL=55

> > NOTE: 309303 records were read from the infile
> > 'e:\acg2002\outbasea.txt'.
> >       The minimum record length was 55.
> >       The maximum record length was 55.
> > WARNING: The data set WORK.ONE may be incomplete.  When this step was
> > stopped there were 309303 observations and 41
> >          variables.
> > WARNING: Data set WORK.ONE was not replaced because this step was
> > stopped.
> > NOTE: DATA statement used:
> >       real time           9.54 seconds
> >       cpu time            5.85 seconds

Why am I getting this warning "dataset may be incomplete" ?

Post by Le » Tue, 15 Jan 2002 01:53:15

Roger was right.
I have had to re-start my SAS session 7 times now in the past 5 hours
in order to avoid this message. It is very annoying.

I'm running SAS v.0 on an NT server. If anyone can figure out why SAS
keeps hicupping I'd appreciate it. For now, I guess, I am stuck
closing down sessions each time it starts to complain.

Thanks to all who responded,

Machelle Lea Wilchesky