Sign test and SignRank test

Post by Anton » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 03:01:34

Dear all,

I have a stupid question. What is the difference between sign test and
Signrank test? Please advice, Thanks. Based on my understanding,

sign test is similar to one sample t-test
sign rank test is similar to paired sample t-test

Am I correct?

Antonio

Sign test and SignRank test

Post by Jay Weedo » Wed, 16 Jul 2003 04:14:18

Quote:>I have a stupid question. What is the difference between sign test and
>Signrank test? Please advice, Thanks. Based on my understanding,

>sign test is similar to one sample t-test
>sign rank test is similar to paired sample t-test

>Am I correct?

Either test could both be used in either situation (as could the
t-test: the paired t-test is simply a one-sample test applied to
difference scores). The principal difference is that the signed-rank
test uses information on the relative magnitude of differences,
whereas the sign test weights all differences the same if they are in
the same direction. In other words, the signed-rank test uses more
information about the data than the other, and is more powerful in
many cases. It is however somewhat vulnerable to failure when the
distribution of (difference) scores shows significant skew, in which
case the sign test may be preferred.

JW