Apple II 60K CP/M disk image?

Post by Linards Ticmani » Fri, 29 Jun 2001 11:25:50

Hi and sorry for again asking questions.

Where would I get an Apple II "Microsoft Softcard" 60K CP/M boot disk,
preferably as a downloadable disk image of some sort (.dsk,.sdk,.nib
or whatever). So far I have only found a 56K version and some sort of
"63K" hack. However I have a tendency to distrust hacks, sorry about
that...

Also, is there documentation for the Apple specific commands anywhere
on the Web?

Thirdly, I have tried to get WordStar4 to work, however it's really
hard with just 128K of useable disk space per drive. Has anybody
managed to set it up in a way that makes sense?

Thanks for your consideration,
--

Linards Ticmanis

 The Master said, "The business of laying on the colors follows the
preparation of the plain ground."

Apple II 60K CP/M disk image?

Post by Rubywan » Fri, 29 Jun 2001 15:33:26

Linards Ticmanis writes ...

Quote:> Where would I get an Apple II "Microsoft Softcard" 60K CP/M boot disk,
> preferably as a downloadable disk image of some sort (.dsk,.sdk,.nib
> or whatever).

     A good listing of A2 and generic CP/M links is in the Csa2p FAQs at
http://home.swbell.net/rubywand/csa2pfaq.html#013 . Tarnover has a very good
A2 CP/M info/software collection ( http://tarnover.dyndns.org/CPM/ ).

Quote:> So far I have only found a 56K version and some sort of
> "63K" hack. However I have a tendency to distrust hacks, sorry about
> that...

> Also, is there documentation for the Apple specific commands anywhere
> on the Web?

     Paul Schlyter posted quite a bit of documentation to Csa2. You can find
it on Tarnover and GSWV ( http://www.apple2.org.za/gswv/a2zine/Docs/ ).  Look
for the file CPM_ProgrammersReferenceGuide.txt.

Rubywand

Apple II 60K CP/M disk image?

Post by Justin Scot » Wed, 18 Jul 2001 06:31:32

Check on ftp.apple.asimov.net.  I found lots of CP/M images there, including
some WordStar disks.

cheers,

Quote:> Where would I get an Apple II "Microsoft Softcard" 60K CP/M boot disk,
> preferably as a downloadable disk image of some sort (.dsk,.sdk,.nib
> or whatever). So far I have only found a 56K version and some sort of
> "63K" hack. However I have a tendency to distrust hacks, sorry about
> that...

Apple II 60K CP/M disk image?

Post by Kevin Durflinge » Sat, 04 Aug 2001 14:41:47

The original bootable disk that came with my MS Softcard was a 44K CP/M
(worked on a 48K A2+) and if you had a language card or some other memory
card to provide the additional 16K you could convert a disk from 44K to 60K
CP/M by running a utility called "CPM60" that was provided.  Sorry, I don't
recall anything about a 56K version.

Quote:> Linards Ticmanis writes ...

> > Where would I get an Apple II "Microsoft Softcard" 60K CP/M boot disk,
> > preferably as a downloadable disk image of some sort (.dsk,.sdk,.nib
> > or whatever).

>      A good listing of A2 and generic CP/M links is in the Csa2p FAQs at
> http://home.swbell.net/rubywand/csa2pfaq.html#013 . Tarnover has a very
good
> A2 CP/M info/software collection ( http://tarnover.dyndns.org/CPM/ ).

> > So far I have only found a 56K version and some sort of
> > "63K" hack. However I have a tendency to distrust hacks, sorry about
> > that...

> > Also, is there documentation for the Apple specific commands anywhere
> > on the Web?

>      Paul Schlyter posted quite a bit of documentation to Csa2. You can
find
> it on Tarnover and GSWV ( http://www.apple2.org.za/gswv/a2zine/Docs/ ).
Look
> for the file CPM_ProgrammersReferenceGuide.txt.

> Rubywand

Apple II 60K CP/M disk image?

Post by Mark Cumming » Sat, 04 Aug 2001 18:46:39

There must have been a MS 56K version, because I have it.

Mark

> The original bootable disk that came with my MS Softcard was a 44K CP/M
> (worked on a 48K A2+) and if you had a language card or some other memory
> card to provide the additional 16K you could convert a disk from 44K to
60K
> CP/M by running a utility called "CPM60" that was provided.  Sorry, I
don't
> recall anything about a 56K version.

> > Linards Ticmanis writes ...

> > > Where would I get an Apple II "Microsoft Softcard" 60K CP/M boot disk,
> > > preferably as a downloadable disk image of some sort (.dsk,.sdk,.nib
> > > or whatever).

> >      A good listing of A2 and generic CP/M links is in the Csa2p FAQs at
> > http://home.swbell.net/rubywand/csa2pfaq.html#013 . Tarnover has a very
> good
> > A2 CP/M info/software collection ( http://tarnover.dyndns.org/CPM/ ).

> > > So far I have only found a 56K version and some sort of
> > > "63K" hack. However I have a tendency to distrust hacks, sorry about
> > > that...

> > > Also, is there documentation for the Apple specific commands anywhere
> > > on the Web?

> >      Paul Schlyter posted quite a bit of documentation to Csa2. You can
> find
> > it on Tarnover and GSWV ( http://www.apple2.org.za/gswv/a2zine/Docs/ ).
> Look
> > for the file CPM_ProgrammersReferenceGuide.txt.

> > Rubywand

Apple II 60K CP/M disk image?

Post by Paul Schlyt » Sun, 05 Aug 2001 17:36:03

>> Linards Ticmanis writes ...

>>> Where would I get an Apple II "Microsoft Softcard" 60K CP/M boot disk,
>>> preferably as a downloadable disk image of some sort (.dsk,.sdk,.nib
>>> or whatever).

>>      A good listing of A2 and generic CP/M links is in the Csa2p FAQs at
>> http://home.swbell.net/rubywand/csa2pfaq.html#013 . Tarnover has a very
>> good A2 CP/M info/software collection ( http://tarnover.dyndns.org/CPM/ ).

>>> So far I have only found a 56K version and some sort of
>>> "63K" hack. However I have a tendency to distrust hacks, sorry about
>>> that...

>>> Also, is there documentation for the Apple specific commands anywhere
>>> on the Web?

>> Paul Schlyter posted quite a bit of documentation to Csa2. You can
>> find it on Tarnover and GSWV ( http://www.apple2.org.za/gswv/a2zine/Docs/ ).
>> Look for the file CPM_ProgrammersReferenceGuide.txt.

>> Rubywand

> The original bootable disk that came with my MS Softcard was a 44K CP/M
> (worked on a 48K A2+) and if you had a language card or some other memory
> card to provide the additional 16K you could convert a disk from 44K to 60K
> CP/M by running a utility called "CPM60" that was provided.  Sorry, I don't
> recall anything about a 56K version.

The original version of the MS Softcard offered a 44K and a 56K CPM/M
version.  The 56K version used only one of the two 4K memory banks of
the Language Card.  Later, MS modified the BDOS, putting parts of it
into that unused 4K memory bank - by doing so, the (apparent) CP/M
memory could grow from 56K to 60K.  However, 60K Softcard CP/M did
not have an original CP/M BDOS like the 44K and 56K Softcard CP/M had...

There were other Z80 cards (e.g. the AppliCard), with their own 64K
RAM, which enabled you to run a 64K CP/M system on the Apple II.

Paul Schlyter,  Swedish Amateur Astronomer's Society (SAAF)
Grev Turegatan 40,  S-114 38 Stockholm,  SWEDEN
e-mail:  pausch at saaf dot se   or    paul.schlyter at ausys dot se
WWW:     http://hotel04.ausys.se/pausch    http://welcome.to/pausch

Apple II 60K CP/M disk image?

Post by Mark Cumming » Mon, 06 Aug 2001 23:06:17

Roy,

Quote:>Except for the skimpy floppy disk space, an Applicard was about the best
CP/M
>machine you could buy.

not so skimpy if you have the 3.5" boot disk. :)

Mark

1. "The Apple II is DEAD" - Long Live the Apple II

Their practically bulletproof, aren't they?  I refuse to discard any piece
of equipment that still functions as it should.  :-)

Hear, hear!  As an Apple CP/M-er, I get the best of both worlds!  (and
I haven't found any drawbacks either.)  I'll go out on a limb and make this
a world-wide announcement:

If you're a CP/M afficionado (user, used to use it, or never heard of it),
the CP/M-Houston Users' Group will hold it's next meeting on Thursday,
2 December 1993 from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. in the Faculty Workroom of
The George Washington High School for Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice,
4701 Dickson Street, Houston TX.  (I.e. about 3/4 mi. south of IH-10 on
Durham St.  [where Durham, Shepherd, and Dickson all meet]).

If you're in the Houston, TX area (Hi, Mark Manning, Tom Hoot!) try
to come.  If you used to be a member of the group, but have moved out
of the area, send me email--I'd like to hear from you.

Topics of conversation are not limited to CP/M and may range as wide
and be as varied as anyone cares to discuss.  One time we sat around
talking about the Space Shuttle's WasteWater Disposal System!  :-)

I've been 'on my own' pretty much the whole span of my computing life
(about 8 year, now).  The help you get from fellow users of whatever
computing platform you use is consistently first rate. A big "Thank you"
to all those who've helped me in the past and "My pleasure" to anyone
I've been able to help.

John D. Baker  ->An '802-powered Apple //e CardZ180 Z-System nut//

BBSs:  JOHN BAKER on PIC of the Mid-Town [(713) 527-8939] 1:106/31,
The Vector Board [(716) 544-1863], Z-Node #45 [(713) 937-8886]
Karnage:  "Do not be the clever guy with ME!  You are not qualified!"

2. Microsoft Agent 1.5

3. New CP/M 2.2 $15 available AND Apple II CP/M stuff.

4. Q:Checking if an argument==NULL

5. disk image of PCW CP/M Disk

6. Intel InBusiness hub and wireless?

7. Apple II CP/M, also UUCP

8. >> Application Error Notification <<

9. Basis 108/Apple II CP/M

10. Apple II CP/M with an accelerated 65c02

11. Apple II 16 sector CP/M Master

12. Apple II CP/M (Microsoft Softcard)

13. CP/M on an Apple II