Still problem with Ampro LB.

Post by Stijn Wolter » Mon, 21 Apr 2003 05:37:41

Hello,

Some time ago I posted a message about boot problems with
an Ampro LB system. Though it would be possible to get
a bootfloppy, I'm still wondering why the system cannot be
transfered from HD to floppy. The system boots normal from
HD:

59K Z80 Operating System
AMPRO BIOS Version 3.8
Copyright (C) 1983,84,85,86 AMPRO Computers, Inc.

SCSI initiator ID = 7
(Arbitration Disabled)
(Clock Enabled)
(Console Buffer Enabled)

C0>

From what I can see Z-system is active, which I'm not
familiar with and seems broken anyway.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,
Stijn Wolters.

--

WWW: http://www.xs4all.nl/~stijnw/ , http://www.funiter.org/

Still problem with Ampro LB.

Post by Larry Sonderlin » Mon, 21 Apr 2003 09:05:42

> Hello,

> Some time ago I posted a message about boot problems with
> an Ampro LB system. Though it would be possible to get
> a bootfloppy, I'm still wondering why the system cannot be
> transfered from HD to floppy. The system boots normal from
> HD:

> 59K Z80 Operating System
> AMPRO BIOS Version 3.8
> Copyright (C) 1983,84,85,86 AMPRO Computers, Inc.

> SCSI initiator ID = 7
> (Arbitration Disabled)
> (Clock Enabled)
> (Console Buffer Enabled)

> C0>

> From what I can see Z-system is active, which I'm not
> familiar with and seems broken anyway.

> Any help would be appreciated.

> Regards,
> Stijn Wolters.

> --

> WWW: http://www.xs4all.nl/~stijnw/ , http://www.funiter.org/

You can't simply copy the system from the HD to a floppy because when a hard
disk is installed, the installation program makes changes to certain boot
parameters to ake the system boot correctly from the hard disk.  Also, why
do you say that Z-system is broken?

If you need a boot floppy, I can send you one.

Larry Sonderling

Still problem with Ampro LB.

Post by Stijn Wolter » Tue, 22 Apr 2003 05:20:56

[...]

Quote:> You can't simply copy the system from the HD to a floppy because when a
> hard disk is installed, the installation program makes changes to certain
> boot parameters to ake the system boot correctly from the hard disk.

I see. Thanks.

Quote:> Also, why do you say that Z-system is broken?

Sorry, I was not talking about Z-System in general, just the one
installed on my Ampro LB. It seems some original files are missing.
For the moment I want to focus on the bootdisk and all utilities
before experimenting with something I'm not familiar with (except
for using commands to do some programming in Z80 asm and C).

Quote:> If you need a boot floppy, I can send you one.

That would be great, thanks! However, before sending floppies I
would like to pursue other options first, for example an image file
which I can put on floppy with a special tool (like rawrite). It
seems that is the only option left, except for sending floppies, now
the HD->floppy method has been eliminated, provided someone has an
Ampro LB [bootfloppy] and a tool to create such an image.

Regards,
Stijn Wolters.

--

WWW: http://www.xs4all.nl/~stijnw/ , http://www.funiter.org/

Still problem with Ampro LB.

Post by nos.. » Wed, 30 Apr 2003 11:22:37

Quote:>That would be great, thanks! However, before sending floppies I
>would like to pursue other options first, for example an image file
>which I can put on floppy with a special tool (like rawrite). It
>seems that is the only option left, except for sending floppies, now
>the HD->floppy method has been eliminated, provided someone has an
>Ampro LB [bootfloppy] and a tool to create such an image.

There was a Ampro utility called AMPRODSK supplied  that if memory
serves would create a bootable floppy.  The procedure is in the
manual.  I havent done it in a long time since I modded my copy of the
OS to suit the 45mb scsi disk.

Allison

1. Ampro LB support and BIOS source status query

I can't verify this w/ websearches or dejanews, but I thought I recalled
reading recently that Davidge will no longer provide support for the
Ampro LittleBoard z80 sbc.  Will someone else be picking up this
particular ball?  Is there any possibility of the utility and BIOS
sources and PAL equations being released into the public domain?
Enquiring minds (especially those who still want to use their Little
Boards) want to know! :-)

One particular memory that sparked this question is of a conversation I
had many years ago on Jay Sage's znode with a gentleman who had done a
z80-code translation and optimization of the 3.8 Little Board BIOS
(which, if memory serves, was actually written in 8080 assembler).

Still counting down / One more horizon / Fades in the distance / And now
                        As we are standing here
                           Two thousand down

2. Subject: FS:MS Entertainment Pack 2.0

3. HELP: Ampro Z80 LB, Hard Drive & ZCPR3

4. how to abort a query

5. Mode designer software

6. Need Ampro LB/Z80-SCSI or similar

7. FS: 72" Rackmount Cabinet

8. How to speed up Ampro LB+ SCSI?

9. FS: Ampro LB 1A System w/SCSI

10. S3 805 LB vs. S3 928 LB: Opinions Requested...

11. S3-256 drivers and Diamond Stealth 24 LB problem

12. Ampro problem