ATTENTION J.R.P.

Post by Fred J. Scipion » Fri, 10 Sep 1999 04:00:00

... snip ...

Quote:> I suspect the BIOS will need a serious amount of rewriting to deal
> with the various controllers and stuff in newer PCs.

> -jrp

Might I recommend Minix to this thread (comp.os.minix)?     I don't mean
instead of CP/M86, but as a source of code for drivers that work on the
bare hardware, example boot code, cross diskette tools, etc.

ATTENTION J.R.P.

Post by Markus Leypo » Sat, 11 Sep 1999 04:00:00

: Might I recommend Minix to this thread (comp.os.minix)?     I don't mean
: instead of CP/M86, but as a source of code for drivers that work on the
: bare hardware, example boot code, cross diskette tools, etc.

I just have been intending to recommend exactly that. The driver code in
Minix is very well documented.

ATTENTION J.R.P.

Post by fhe.. » Wed, 15 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>>>I suspect the BIOS will need a serious amount of rewriting to deal
>>>with the various controllers and stuff in newer PCs.

As far as I can see in my Sourcer-disassembly of CP/M-86's BIOS, it
has been written in a sound way, as it does not access the diskette
hardware directly. Instead, it uses the PC's ROM-BIOS,
software-interrupt 13hex for disk I/O. For 144 MB diskettes it could
do the same, whether CP/M-86's BIOS were to be patched or fully
rewritten.

The PC-ROM-BIOS is supposed to hide an application (e.g. the
CP/M-86-BIOS) from the need to know about all different kinds of
controllers. Whether or not it does this job correctly is up to each
individual hardware-manufacturer's ROM-BIOS. No 100 % guarantee, but a
flaky ROM-BIOS could also prevent the current CP/M-86-BIOS code from
operating correctly on any given machine.

Freek