RED Text Editor

Post by Charles Richmon » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 03:15:21

RED is a text editor written by Edward K. Ream. The source was
published in the July and August issues of Dr. Dobb's magazine
in 1983. This published source was for the "small C" compiler.
To keep from having to "fat finger" the whole thing in, I am
looking for a place on the 'net to download it...

According to what I have found on the WEB with search engines,
version 7.0 of the RED text editor was released by Ream into
the public domain...and it is contained in the C User's Group
disk # 318. This was also on the C User's Group CD-ROM put
out by Walnut Creek. If anyone has that CD-ROM, then he might
be able to email me a copy of the source... The C User's Group
once upon a time had a server on the 'net for FTP, but it seems
to be gone. That was <ftp://ftp.freesoftware.com>.

So...I found out a lot *about* the RED editor...just *not* where
I can get the source code... If anyone can help, please post...

TIA.

RED Text Editor

Post by Ross Simpso » Thu, 01 Nov 2001 11:42:12

> RED is a text editor written by Edward K. Ream. The source was
> published in the July and August issues of Dr. Dobb's magazine
> in 1983. This published source was for the "small C" compiler.
> To keep from having to "fat finger" the whole thing in, I am
> looking for a place on the 'net to download it...

I've had a quite look for C User's Group stuff  (or CUG) on the 'Net & found
this site
ftp://ftp.mayn.de/pub/cpm/archive/cug I've download all the .LBR files from
there & had a quick look for RED Text Editor with those files. I not 100%
sure, but there are some files in there that relate to the RED Text Editor.
That might be worth a look if you haven't been there all ready. It look's
quite big though & there are No runnable programs which means you would have
to compile it in order to run it.

Ross.