looking for LP 68k OS9 SBC

Post by Russ Hoffm » Fri, 18 Aug 1995 04:00:00

I'm considering designing a low-power ( <= 5 watts) 68k-based
OS-9 single board computer, but before I do so, I was wondering if
there already exists such a machine at a reasonable ( <= $300-400 )
price. (No sense in reinventing large portions of the wheel!)

Features (or any subset thereof), in priority order:

  o Low power 680x0 or 683xx, any speed
  o Runs OS-9/68000 v2.1 or higher
  o well-documented expansion bus of any type
  o relatively small size (5.25" x 5.25" or smaller)
  o SCSI controller
  o serial port
  o IBM keyboard interface
  o floppy controller
  o >= 1MB RAM

Thanks for any info!

Russell Hoffman

FORE Systems, Inc.

looking for LP 68k OS9 SBC

Post by Chris Perraul » Fri, 18 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>I'm considering designing a low-power ( <= 5 watts) 68k-based
>OS-9 single board computer, but before I do so, I was wondering if
>there already exists such a machine at a reasonable ( <= $300-400 )
>price. (No sense in reinventing large portions of the wheel!)

>Features (or any subset thereof), in priority order:

 Hi Russel. For $400 you can get an MM/1B (Board with OS-9) which
 basically exceeds all the specs you listed except for the built in SCSI
 controller. It comes with IE Ports instead(plus a parallel and a few serial
 posts and a bunch of other stuff).

 This machine the AT-306 produced by Krieder electronics.
 >Chris<

looking for LP 68k OS9 SBC

Post by Gerd Oxe' » Tue, 22 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>I'm considering designing a low-power ( <= 5 watts) 68k-based
>OS-9 single board computer, but before I do so, I was wondering if
>there already exists such a machine at a reasonable ( <= $300-400 )
>price. (No sense in reinventing large portions of the wheel!)

>Features (or any subset thereof), in priority order:

>  o Low power 680x0 or 683xx, any speed
>  o Runs OS-9/68000 v2.1 or higher
>  o well-documented expansion bus of any type
>  o relatively small size (5.25" x 5.25" or smaller)
>  o SCSI controller
>  o serial port
>  o IBM keyboard interface
>  o floppy controller
>  o >= 1MB RAM

Russel,

I recently completed my own self designed small system, which meets most
of
your above wishes. Some features:

board size: 13.5 x 10 cm

main board:
        68306 CPU 16 Mhz
        1 MB EPROM
        2 RS232
        reset/abort switches

memory (as piggyback board on top of main board)
        size 7 x 7 cm
        up to 64 MB DRAM, currently 8 MB

I/O board (same size as main):
        SCSI 53C90 with internal 50 pin AND external 25 pin connectors
        battery buffered real time clock
        2 RS232, M68681

digital I/O (same size as main):
        2 M68230 programmable interface/timer
        32 bit I/O, 8 handshaking lines
        2 counter/timer in
        2 counter/timer out
        2 25 pin sub-D connectors

planned:
        graphics controller with local memory
        buffered bus extension

The boards are stacked together by 2 rows of connectors left and right
to form sort of a "sandwich". The height per board is 15mm.
All I/O connectors except internal SCSI are on the same side, simply
mount
through appropriate case cut-out.
Power consumption of the 3 board stack: approx. 600 mA total at 5 volts.
Estimated cost of the system around $200 with self etched PCBs.
I currently run OS-9 V 2.4 on it.
If you are interested in more details, just email me. PCB layouts in
postscript format are available, as well as parts layouts.

Gerd.

looking for LP 68k OS9 SBC

Post by Gerd Oxe' » Wed, 23 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>Estimated cost of the system around $200 with self etched PCBs.
>I currently run OS-9 V 2.4 on it.
>If you are interested in more details, just email me. PCB layouts in
>postscript format are available, as well as parts layouts.

Sorry, in my previous post I mentionened a total costs of $200.
This, of course is WITHOUT DRAM chips. 8 MB RAM costs more than this
alone.
If you take 4 pcs. 1MBx4, this would be around $60 additional for RAM.

Gerd.

looking for LP 68k OS9 SBC

Post by J. Janse » Wed, 23 Aug 1995 04:00:00

>I'm considering designing a low-power ( <= 5 watts) 68k-based
>OS-9 single board computer, but before I do so, I was wondering if
>there already exists such a machine at a reasonable ( <= $300-400 )
>price. (No sense in reinventing large portions of the wheel!)
>Features (or any subset thereof), in priority order:
>  o Low power 680x0 or 683xx, any speed
>  o Runs OS-9/68000 v2.1 or higher
>  o well-documented expansion bus of any type
>  o relatively small size (5.25" x 5.25" or smaller)
>  o SCSI controller
>  o serial port
>  o IBM keyboard interface
>  o floppy controller
>  o >= 1MB RAM
>Thanks for any info!
>Russell Hoffman

>FORE Systems, Inc.

EKF's VMEbus CPU "V04" should fit most of your requirements. Low Power
is done by CMOS design (68HC000-16 and ACT/FCT), size is EUROCARD 3HU.
Expansion is done by VME (J1 16 Bit) and/or by a second local expansion
bus connector. Similar CPU's are available equipped with '30 and '40 chips
(considerably more power consumption).

Remarkable smaller is a 68302 based microcontroller from EKF, used for
fieldbus industrial communication and sensor/actor purposes. This board
is provided with a propriaritary locoal expansion bus however.
Expansion boards are available with isolated I/O (relay, optocoupler),
A/D and D/A.

Anybody interested in a free data sheet feel free to write to

Please do not forget to include your full postal address, thank you!

--------------------- EKF Elektronik Messtechnik GmbH ---------------------

Philipp Reis Str. 4                            phone:   ++49 (0)2381-6890-0
D-59065 Hamm (Germany)                         fax:    ++49 (0)2381-6890-90
------------------- Advanced VMEbus Hardware + Software -------------------

1. OS9 on 68K VME / Wanted 6809 OS9 system.

I recently acquired (for free) a VME rack with some 68K cards and
a SASI disk controller which can run an ST506 type hard drive.  I am
currently running CP/M-68K on it, but it is my understanding that
OS9 is available now for 68K CPUs and I am very interested in trying
it out.

Where can OS9 for a 68K CPU be obtained?  Can I get it in a flavor that
more or less runs on my system?  If not, can I get it in a generic flavor
that I can customize and boot strap?  If OS9 won't ever be able to run on
my system, what kind of system do I need to run it?

--

Also, I'm interested in acquiring an OS9 capable 6809-based system.
I'd like to get something that is fairly maintainable (socketed chips, few

--

Amdahl Corporation, Sunnyvale CA.               Phone: (408)746-4688.

2. getting network statistics about applications

3. SBC running os9(6809)?

4. Mac+ power supply

5. Looking for Z180 SBC

6. JPEG decoder needed.

7. os9-68k for ST

8. solaris 2.6, sm 8.8.7, aliases

9. microware OS9 for old 68k Macs

10. Handlers for OS9/68K

11. Test software for 68340 - OS9/68K - GESPAC G96

12. How to add a SCSI drive to OS9/68k v 2.3

13. Question: OS9 68K SBF SCSI tape devices