Ampro Littleboard Z80 Questions.

Post by T.Bluck » Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hello.
        I have a few questions regarding the ampro littleboard
Z80 and I wonder if anyone can help.

I'm trying to pip some binary files across from another cp/m
system,  I am using a three-wire serial cable, and I've got
the systems setup for 2400 baud, as I reckon that neither of
the systems will have a problem with this slow speed.   (not
using flow control)   has anyone done this recently?  it's
been about 15 years since I had to transfer files between cp/m
systems and then we used  TX RX  or  BSTAM..

Also..  I wonder if anyone knows the port addresses for the
parallel port.  (8 bit output and 4 bit input). as I have
connected an LCD display to this port and I'd like to send
some data to it !!

Many Thanks

T.Bluck.

Ampro Littleboard Z80 Questions.

Post by Robin Birc » Tue, 27 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello.
>        I have a few questions regarding the ampro littleboard
>Z80 and I wonder if anyone can help.

>I'm trying to pip some binary files across from another cp/m
>system,  I am using a three-wire serial cable, and I've got
>the systems setup for 2400 baud, as I reckon that neither of
>the systems will have a problem with this slow speed.   (not
>using flow control)   has anyone done this recently?  it's
>been about 15 years since I had to transfer files between cp/m
>systems and then we used  TX RX  or  BSTAM..

Ah I remember that, a very good package

Quote:>Also..  I wonder if anyone knows the port addresses for the
>parallel port.  (8 bit output and 4 bit input). as I have
>connected an LCD display to this port and I'd like to send
>some data to it !!

>Many Thanks

Right, I don't have any packages at the moment for ampro -> another CP/M
machine, I do have a package for CP/M -> PC.

I will be posting a digest of the port addresses to another query in
this group in a while.  Hope this helps.

Robin

M1ASU/2E0ARJ    Old computers and radios always welcome

Post by Richard Erlach » Wed, 28 Apr 1999 04:00:00

> >Hello.
> >        I have a few questions regarding the ampro littleboard
> >Z80 and I wonder if anyone can help.

> >I'm trying to pip some binary files across from another cp/m
> >system,  I am using a three-wire serial cable, and I've got
> >the systems setup for 2400 baud, as I reckon that neither of
> >the systems will have a problem with this slow speed.   (not
> >using flow control)   has anyone done this recently?  it's
> >been about 15 years since I had to transfer files between cp/m
> >systems and then we used  TX RX  or  BSTAM..

> Ah I remember that, a very good package

> >Also..  I wonder if anyone knows the port addresses for the
> >parallel port.  (8 bit output and 4 bit input). as I have
> >connected an LCD display to this port and I'd like to send
> >some data to it !!

> >Many Thanks

> Right, I don't have any packages at the moment for ampro -> another CP/M
> machine, I do have a package for CP/M -> PC.

> I will be posting a digest of the port addresses to another query in
> this group in a while.  Hope this helps.

> Robin

> M1ASU/2E0ARJ    Old computers and radios always welcome

back about 20 years ago, it seems to me that everyone was familiar with
XMODEM.  That worked really well back then, and I see no reason why it
shouldn't work as well now.

Have you tried XMODEM?  That will run on either machine, provided you
install the appropriate low-leve drivers for your serial hardware.  In the
time you lose waiting for the 2400 baud transfers, BTW, you could put in the
three or four lines of code required to implement x-on/x-off flow control.

Dick

Post by Richard Steven Wa » Thu, 29 Apr 1999 04:00:00

>Hello.
>        I have a few questions regarding the ampro littleboard
>Z80 and I wonder if anyone can help.

>I'm trying to pip some binary files across from another cp/m
>system,  I am using a three-wire serial cable, and I've got
>the systems setup for 2400 baud, as I reckon that neither of
>the systems will have a problem with this slow speed.   (not
>using flow control)   has anyone done this recently?  it's
>been about 15 years since I had to transfer files between cp/m
>systems and then we used  TX RX  or  BSTAM..

The PIP program is only good for ASCII last I looked, at least the
original implementation O flag simply doesn't work reliably. So
what I have done in the past is used LOAD and the favorite program
UNLOAD to go from binary to hex and back on the other end. Even
so then you have to send at a low baud rate, 300-1200 is safest,
and then what you had better do is send it in under 8KB blocks
and check it manually on the other end. I used to print the file
out from both ends and compare the strikes with a bright light
from the back! I know this sounds lousy, but PIP is finicky and
there is no error correction! Then the first program to send needs
to be the MDM747 or other smallest possible modem program with a
decent send-receive protocol, like MODEM7 batch or such, and then
you can send anything you like in true serial with modem protocol,
and you can do that without much fear. It will tell you or resend
if it gets a CRC error. CRC mode is important for executables.
MDM7 is the oldest standby that is quick to send in just three or
four blocks. I assemble them with an editor or concatenate them on
the command line and then convert back to binary with DDT or LOAD.
-Steve

>Also..  I wonder if anyone knows the port addresses for the
>parallel port.  (8 bit output and 4 bit input). as I have
>connected an LCD display to this port and I'd like to send
>some data to it !!

>Many Thanks

>--

>T.Bluck.

The Ampro Little Board Z80 parallel port has only one input bit,
pin 10, BUSY. The I/O addresses are 01H for data pins 2-9, 02H
for setting the strobe flip-flop and 03H for clearing it. Writing
anything to those addresses is sufficient. Sorry, no input except
that one bit.
-Steve

--

-Electronics Site!! 1000 Files/50 Dirs!! http://www.armory.com/~rstevew
Europe:(Italy) http://ftp.cised.unina.it/pub/electronics/ftp.armory.com

Post by T.Bluck » Sun, 02 May 1999 04:00:00

>> >Hello.
>> >        I have a few questions regarding the ampro littleboard
>> >Z80 and I wonder if anyone can help.

>> >I'm trying to pip some binary files across from another cp/m
>> >system,  I am using a three-wire serial cable, and I've got
>> >the systems setup for 2400 baud, as I reckon that neither of
>> >the systems will have a problem with this slow speed.   (not
>> >using flow control)   has anyone done this recently?  it's
>> >been about 15 years since I had to transfer files between cp/m
>> >systems and then we used  TX RX  or  BSTAM..

>> Ah I remember that, a very good package

>> >Also..  I wonder if anyone knows the port addresses for the
>> >parallel port.  (8 bit output and 4 bit input). as I have
>> >connected an LCD display to this port and I'd like to send
>> >some data to it !!

>> >Many Thanks

>> Right, I don't have any packages at the moment for ampro -> another CP/M
>> machine, I do have a package for CP/M -> PC.

>> I will be posting a digest of the port addresses to another query in
>> this group in a while.  Hope this helps.

>> Robin

>> M1ASU/2E0ARJ    Old computers and radios always welcome
>back about 20 years ago, it seems to me that everyone was familiar with
>XMODEM.  That worked really well back then, and I see no reason why it
>shouldn't work as well now.

>Have you tried XMODEM?  That will run on either machine, provided you
>install the appropriate low-leve drivers for your serial hardware.  In the
>time you lose waiting for the 2400 baud transfers, BTW, you could put in the
>three or four lines of code required to implement x-on/x-off flow control.

>Dick

I'd love to be able to use bstam or xmodem, but the problem.
I have is that I can't get these files onto the systems, the
three cp/m systems here all have different disc drives, and
that's a pain when it comes to software swapping especially
when the files are binaries. I've recently been thinking about
finding a suitable transfer programm and entering it as 'code
using ddt, then saving it to disc. (on each of the systems!).
any ideas?

Many Thanks..
--
T.Bluck.

Ampro Littleboard Z80 Questions.

Post by Robin Birc » Mon, 03 May 1999 04:00:00

Quote:

>I'd love to be able to use bstam or xmodem, but the problem.
>I have is that I can't get these files onto the systems, the
>three cp/m systems here all have different disc drives, and
>that's a pain when it comes to software swapping especially
>when the files are binaries. I've recently been thinking about
>finding a suitable transfer programm and entering it as 'code
>using ddt, then saving it to disc. (on each of the systems!).
>any ideas?

>Many Thanks..

If you have transfer problems then the easiest way of getting something
like bstam or xmodem onto another system is to create an INTEL hex dump
of the original program file.  PIP that across, its ascii so things
should be easier, then load it to give you the binary.

I have a package that you can do this with to get the stuff from a CP/M
box to a PC and then from that PC to another cp/m box.  This could get
you started.  If you want it I'll email it to you.  It involves dumping
a hex file to the CP/M box through the terminal port to start with but
apart from that it is relatively easy to get going.

Cheers

Post by ve3.. » Mon, 03 May 1999 04:00:00

> [...]

 I think you just need a copy of UNIFORM, what machines do you have and
 provide me your mailing address. I have Osborne, Ampro, Heath formats
 here.

Net-Tamer V 1.11.2 - Test Drive

Post by Richard Steven Wa » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00

>>> Ah I remember that, a very good package

>>> Right, I don't have any packages at the moment for ampro -> another CP/M
>>> machine, I do have a package for CP/M -> PC.

>>> I will be posting a digest of the port addresses to another query in
>>> this group in a while.  Hope this helps.

>>> Robin

>>> M1ASU/2E0ARJ    Old computers and radios always welcome
>>===========================================================
>>back about 20 years ago, it seems to me that everyone was familiar with
>>XMODEM.  That worked really well back then, and I see no reason why it
>>shouldn't work as well now.

>>Have you tried XMODEM?  That will run on either machine, provided you
>>install the appropriate low-leve drivers for your serial hardware.  In the
>>time you lose waiting for the 2400 baud transfers, BTW, you could put in the
>>three or four lines of code required to implement x-on/x-off flow control.

>>Dick

>I'd love to be able to use bstam or xmodem, but the problem.
>I have is that I can't get these files onto the systems, the
>three cp/m systems here all have different disc drives, and
>that's a pain when it comes to software swapping especially
>when the files are binaries. I've recently been thinking about
>finding a suitable transfer programm and entering it as 'code
>using ddt, then saving it to disc. (on each of the systems!).
>any ideas?

>Many Thanks..
>--
>T.Bluck.

------------------------------
If you email me I can arrange to send you a system disk with it on it.
If you have the AmproLB you have the right to the software which was
bundled with it. What size disk drives?
-Steve

--

-Electronics Site!! 1000 Files/50 Dirs!! http://www.armory.com/~rstevew
Europe:(Italy) http://ftp.cised.unina.it/pub/electronics/ftp.armory.com

Ampro Littleboard Z80 Questions.

Post by Richard Steven Wa » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00

>>I'd love to be able to use bstam or xmodem, but the problem.
>>I have is that I can't get these files onto the systems, the
>>three cp/m systems here all have different disc drives, and
>>that's a pain when it comes to software swapping especially
>>when the files are binaries. I've recently been thinking about
>>finding a suitable transfer programm and entering it as 'code
>>using ddt, then saving it to disc. (on each of the systems!).
>>any ideas?

>>Many Thanks..
>If you have transfer problems then the easiest way of getting something
>like bstam or xmodem onto another system is to create an INTEL hex dump
>of the original program file.  PIP that across, its ascii so things
>should be easier, then load it to give you the binary.

>I have a package that you can do this with to get the stuff from a CP/M
>box to a PC and then from that PC to another cp/m box.  This could get
>you started.  If you want it I'll email it to you.  It involves dumping
>a hex file to the CP/M box through the terminal port to start with but
>apart from that it is relatively easy to get going.

>Cheers

>Robin

>M1ASU/2E0ARJ    Old computers and radios always welcome

------------------------------
I also remembered I have a program called Ampro.sys which allows you to
read and write Ampro diskettes 3.5" or 5.25" from a PC!! The formats are
not all that different!
-Steve
--

Post by Richard Erlach » Thu, 27 May 1999 04:00:00

> >> Ah I remember that, a very good package

> >> Right, I don't have any packages at the moment for ampro -> another CP/M
> >> machine, I do have a package for CP/M -> PC.

> >> I will be posting a digest of the port addresses to another query in
> >> this group in a while.  Hope this helps.

> >> Robin
> >> ____________________________________________________________________

> >> M1ASU/2E0ARJ    Old computers and radios always welcome
> >===========================================================
> >back about 20 years ago, it seems to me that everyone was familiar with
> >XMODEM.  That worked really well back then, and I see no reason why it
> >shouldn't work as well now.

> >Have you tried XMODEM?  That will run on either machine, provided you
> >install the appropriate low-leve drivers for your serial hardware.  In the
> >time you lose waiting for the 2400 baud transfers, BTW, you could put in the
> >three or four lines of code required to implement x-on/x-off flow control.

> >Dick

> I'd love to be able to use bstam or xmodem, but the problem.
> I have is that I can't get these files onto the systems, the
> three cp/m systems here all have different disc drives, and
> that's a pain when it comes to software swapping especially
> when the files are binaries. I've recently been thinking about
> finding a suitable transfer programm and entering it as 'code
> using ddt, then saving it to disc. (on each of the systems!).
> any ideas?

> Many Thanks..
> --
> T.Bluck.

The Ampro came with a number of format translation utilities.  The one I
remember is EDSK, though there was another called Multifmt or some such.  It
enabled you to run the utility which defined the disk parameters for the "E"
drive and use either A or B (?) as that drive.  They also had the ability to
read 48TPI diskettes in this manner with a 96-TPI drive, which was handy, since
their distribution medium was 48TPI.

With CP/M systems it's always handy to have the ability to read/write 8" media,
though double-density is as non-uniform as any of the 5-1/4" ones.  The problem
for me is that I apparently got out of the CP/M thing before folks agreed on a
standard DSDD 8" format.

I ,as recently as yesterday, transferred files from my AMPRO to my Win95 box by
means of the Modem7 program AMPRO distributed back in the early '80's as a
freebie.  It works fine with HyperTerminal, in case anyone wants to know,
though I found it a pain having to type, individually, each file name, in order
make it understood at the receiving end.  Perhaps next time I'll fir up LU and
make it a compressed single file as I would have if I'd remembered what those
utilities were.

Dick

Ampro Littleboard Z80 Questions.

Post by Don Masli » Thu, 27 May 1999 04:00:00

:> >

:> >> >Hello.
:> >> >        I have a few questions regarding the ampro littleboard
:> >> >Z80 and I wonder if anyone can help.
:> >> >
:> >> >I'm trying to pip some binary files across from another cp/m
:> >> >system,  I am using a three-wire serial cable, and I've got
:> >> >the systems setup for 2400 baud, as I reckon that neither of
:> >> >the systems will have a problem with this slow speed.   (not
:> >> >using flow control)   has anyone done this recently?  it's
:> >> >been about 15 years since I had to transfer files between cp/m
:> >> >systems and then we used  TX RX  or  BSTAM..
:> >> >
:> >> Ah I remember that, a very good package
:> >>
:> >> >Also..  I wonder if anyone knows the port addresses for the
:> >> >parallel port.  (8 bit output and 4 bit input). as I have
:> >> >connected an LCD display to this port and I'd like to send
:> >> >some data to it !!
:> >> >
:> >> >Many Thanks
:> >> >
:> >> Right, I don't have any packages at the moment for ampro -> another CP/M
:> >> machine, I do have a package for CP/M -> PC.
:> >>
:> >> I will be posting a digest of the port addresses to another query in
:> >> this group in a while.  Hope this helps.
:> >>
:> >> Robin
:> >> ____________________________________________________________________

:> >>
:> >> M1ASU/2E0ARJ    Old computers and radios always welcome
:> >===========================================================
[...]
:>
:> Many Thanks..
:> --
:> T.Bluck.
: ======================================================
: The Ampro came with a number of format translation utilities.  The one I
: remember is EDSK, though there was another called Multifmt or some such.  It
: enabled you to run the utility which defined the disk parameters for the "E"
: drive and use either A or B (?) as that drive.  They also had the ability to
: read 48TPI diskettes in this manner with a 96-TPI drive, which was handy, since
: their distribution medium was 48TPI.

: With CP/M systems it's always handy to have the ability to read/write 8" media,
: though double-density is as non-uniform as any of the 5-1/4" ones.  The problem
: for me is that I apparently got out of the CP/M thing before folks agreed on a
: standard DSDD 8" format.

Dick, you could have hung around 'til present day and you still would
not have seen a standard DSDD 8" (or any other size) format!!!  It
simply does not exist.  The only 'standard' CP/M format EVER was the
SSSD 8".

                                                 - don

: I ,as recently as yesterday, transferred files from my AMPRO to my Win95 box by
: means of the Modem7 program AMPRO distributed back in the early '80's as a
: freebie.  It works fine with HyperTerminal, in case anyone wants to know,
: though I found it a pain having to type, individually, each file name, in order
: make it understood at the receiving end.  Perhaps next time I'll fir up LU and
: make it a compressed single file as I would have if I'd remembered what those
: utilities were.

:*

1. Ampro LittleBoard..

hello.
        Does anyone know the address of the parallel port on
an Ampro LittleBoard Z80?  I'd like to be able to send data to
it, and also if possible read the inputs too.  (I have an L.C.D.
display plugged into the port and I'd like to write some code
to talk to it.

Many thanks.
--
Tim.Bluck.

2. IPC RAM (simm) configuration

3. Ampro LittleBoard

4. Mwave modem??

5. Ampro Littleboard.

6. Running NM with Outlook 2K

7. Ampro LittleBoard SCSI/Plus Adapter

8. FS: Sun Solaris 2.6 Server

9. Ampro LittleBoard SCSI Daughterboard Wanted

10. Ampro LittleBoard support

11. Ampro Littleboard support

12. Info request on Ampro Little Board Z80

13. Ampro Little Board Z80