Extended ANSI vs Strict ANSI ?

Post by MICHAEL KILLI » Fri, 25 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Hi all;

I am porting some OS-9 V2.2 code to V3.0.  I have just recently
added all of the ANSI prototypes and compiled using Fastrack on
my PC and Extended ANSI mode.  Can anyone tell me the difference
between compiling in Extended ANSI vs. Strict ANSI?

Also, I noticed that the compiler does not complain about functions
that DO NOT have prototypes.  Is there any way to turn this type
of checking on?

Thanks, in advance.

Mike Killian

Post by Allan R. Batteig » Sat, 26 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>Hi all;

>I am porting some OS-9 V2.2 code to V3.0.  I have just recently
>added all of the ANSI prototypes and compiled using Fastrack on
>my PC and Extended ANSI mode.  Can anyone tell me the difference
>between compiling in Extended ANSI vs. Strict ANSI?

>Also, I noticed that the compiler does not complain about functions
>that DO NOT have prototypes.  Is there any way to turn this type
>of checking on?

Ike
   add a -cw to your command line to turn on compiler warnings.  Also if you
check each phase of the compiler, each phase has some warning or error options
you can turn on. ie. uninitialized variables , mismatched returns, etc.
  Check the Microware Manuals about the differences between Extended Ansi &
Strict Ansi.  I know 1 difference is that Ansi restricts structs to 64kb in
size. (this in defference to certain segmented architectures). Extended Ansi
removes this restriction.  Also Microware has added some storage classes &
types that are not ANSI.  I believe that there other differences but I believe
they are all listed in the manuals.

-------------------------------------
Allan R. Batteiger         -       President
Real-Time Services Inc.
2420 Tarpley Rd #202
Carrollton, TX. 75006

Post by James Jon » Tue, 29 Oct 1996 04:00:00

>Also, I noticed that the compiler does not complain about functions
>that DO NOT have prototypes.  Is there any way to turn this type
>of checking on?

Try the executive option "-cw".

        James Jones

Opinions herein are those of the author, and not necessarily those of
any organization.

Extended ANSI vs Strict ANSI ?

Post by James Jon » Tue, 29 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>  Check the Microware Manuals about the differences between Extended Ansi &
>Strict Ansi.  I know 1 difference is that Ansi restricts structs to 64kb in
>size. (this in defference to certain segmented architectures).

ANSI doesn't restrict objects to 64K; it's just that that's the most you can
count on every conforming compiler supporting.  (I believe your theory about
why that particular value was chosen is correct.)

One of the main differences is character escape sequences--ANSI's notions
about \n and \r lean very much towards Unix, which uses line feed as the
"newline" character, and the insistence that \n and \r be distinct makes
life very difficult for OSs that use CR as the end of line character.

        James Jones

Opinions herein are those of the author, and not necessarily those of
any organization.

1. OS/2 vs. ANSI Z39.50

I wrote a nice implementation of the ANSI Z39.50
protocol for OS/2.  A lot more people currently
use OS/2 than use ANSI Z39.50.  I seem to be only
able to sell about 100 copies of my Z39.50 for
OS/2 each year.

2. no title

3. ANSI STANDARD CAM VS ASPI

4. Feedback Request

5. SCO-ANSI Terminal emulator for OS/2??

6. unsubscribe

7. telnet & ansi color presentation...

8. USB port

9. OS/2 Native ANSI Editor (*Is* there such an Animal??)

10. Need Help OS/2 and ANSI.SYS

11. OLX and ANSI music

12. Hyperaccess Lite--ANSI 3.64?

13. ANSI codes and OS/2