IOMEGA ZIP drive corrupts zip files

IOMEGA ZIP drive corrupts zip files

Post by Eiffler » Wed, 25 Dec 1996 04:00:00



I have a parallel zip drive that experienced all the problems of
installation that everyone else has been *ing about even under windows
95.  After following some of your suggestions: Making sure the cable is
press in HARD, and downloading the current zip tools (see www.iomega.com)
my system no longer locked up when copying to/from the zip drive.

Unfortunately, I'm experiencing a less obvious problem.  When I copy a zip
file either  in Windows95 or at the DOS prompt(under windows) everything
seems to go hunky-dorey.  When I copy it back, to another location, all
three copies have the same file size, dates, etc but when I try and unzip
the files I'm getting CRC errors on a number of files.

I did try to use WINZIP today instead of pkzip 2.04 but can't seem to get
WINZIP to copy the hidden and system files and empty directories.

Suggestions?  I am definitely getting fed up with all the problems and
will be looking for some other means of back up.

Wm Eiffler

 
 
 

IOMEGA ZIP drive corrupts zip files

Post by ex-Tex » Sat, 28 Dec 1996 04:00:00



Quote:>I have a parallel zip drive that experienced all the problems of
>installation that everyone else has been *ing about even under windows
>95.  After following some of your suggestions: Making sure the cable is
>press in HARD, and downloading the current zip tools (see www.iomega.com)
>my system no longer locked up when copying to/from the zip drive.

>Unfortunately, I'm experiencing a less obvious problem.  When I copy a zip
>file either  in Windows95 or at the DOS prompt(under windows) everything
>seems to go hunky-dorey.  When I copy it back, to another location, all
>three copies have the same file size, dates, etc but when I try and unzip
>the files I'm getting CRC errors on a number of files.

>I did try to use WINZIP today instead of pkzip 2.04 but can't seem to get
>WINZIP to copy the hidden and system files and empty directories.

>Suggestions?  I am definitely getting fed up with all the problems and
>will be looking for some other means of back up.

>Wm Eiffler

On the software side, I use Norton Navigator for Win95 for
zipping/unzipping. PkZip definitely has a problem with some of those
archives, mainly I think because of long file names. NNav is the
latest incarnation of XTree, which I find indispensable and very
flexible. ARJ is still better though for spanning diskettes.

 
 
 

IOMEGA ZIP drive corrupts zip files

Post by David Conno » Sun, 29 Dec 1996 04:00:00




Quote:>I have a parallel zip drive that experienced all the problems of
>installation that everyone else has been *ing about even under windows
>95.

As I am thinking about buying a parallel Iomega Zip drive (or SyQuest
EZ135) I was very interested to read your remarks. Not being a regular
on this n.g. I have missed all these tales of grief. I was wondering if
anyone could give me a briefish summary of the main points that are
causing people so much bother.
I suspect that getting the printer to work will be one of the points.

For the record my system is:-   Pentium 120
                                16 meg RAM
                                PH5 motherboard with EPP/ECP parallel
                                port
                                C: drive = Seagate 1.00 gig
                                D: drive = Seagate 250 meg
                                E: drive = 6*speed CD
                                Win 95/Win 3.11 dual-boot
                                Canon BJC 4000 printer

Any other advice to help me decide between the Iomega and SyQuest would
be very welcome.

--
David Connor


 
 
 

IOMEGA ZIP drive corrupts zip files

Post by David Conno » Sun, 29 Dec 1996 04:00:00




Quote:>I have a parallel zip drive that experienced all the problems of
>installation that everyone else has been *ing about even under windows
>95.

As I am thinking about buying a parallel Iomega Zip drive (or SyQuest
EZ135) I was very interested to read your remarks. Not being a regular
on this n.g. I have missed all these tales of grief. I was wondering if
anyone could give me a briefish summary of the main points that are
causing people so much bother.
I suspect that getting the printer to work will be one of the points.

For the record my system is:-   Pentium 120
                                16 meg RAM
                                PH5 motherboard with EPP/ECP parallel
                                port
                                C: drive = Seagate 1.00 gig
                                D: drive = Seagate 250 meg
                                E: drive = 6*speed CD
                                Win 95/Win 3.11 dual-boot
                                Canon BJC 4000 printer

Any other advice to help me decide between the Iomega and SyQuest would
be very welcome.

--
David Connor


 
 
 

IOMEGA ZIP drive corrupts zip files

Post by PoiZo/\\ » Sun, 29 Dec 1996 04:00:00


Go into the device manager, double click on SCSI controllers, then
double click on the Iomega Parallel Interface.  Select the settings tab,
then type the following line for adapter settings.

/MODE:NIBBLE /SPEED:1


> I have a parallel zip drive that experienced all the problems of
> installation that everyone else has been *ing about even under windows
> 95.  After following some of your suggestions: Making sure the cable is
> press in HARD, and downloading the current zip tools (see www.iomega.com)
> my system no longer locked up when copying to/from the zip drive.

> Unfortunately, I'm experiencing a less obvious problem.  When I copy a zip
> file either  in Windows95 or at the DOS prompt(under windows) everything
> seems to go hunky-dorey.  When I copy it back, to another location, all
> three copies have the same file size, dates, etc but when I try and unzip
> the files I'm getting CRC errors on a number of files.

> I did try to use WINZIP today instead of pkzip 2.04 but can't seem to get
> WINZIP to copy the hidden and system files and empty directories.

> Suggestions?  I am definitely getting fed up with all the problems and
> will be looking for some other means of back up.

> Wm Eiffler

--
PoiZo/\/
Visit my CRaCKaTHoN web pages at:
http://www.veryComputer.com/~dial9/crackathon/
 
 
 

IOMEGA ZIP drive corrupts zip files

Post by Stan » Mon, 30 Dec 1996 04:00:00


I installed an Iomega Zip Drive about 2 months ago with no major problems.
My system is very similar to yours: A P120 with two hard drives. I've got
a HP 855C printer. The printer works fine with the Zip drive attached. The
Zip drive works as advertised. My only complaint is that the literature
that came with the drive isn't well written.

                                              Stan Pohl

 
 
 

IOMEGA ZIP drive corrupts zip files

Post by LStat » Tue, 31 Dec 1996 04:00:00


I am only familiar directly with the operation of the Zip drive.  I have
experienced none of the documented problems, and am extremely happy.

I would like to point out that many people are purchasing the Zip drive
because of its economical price.  The benefits of this choice is
exchangeability of data with the systems/cartridges of other people and
the increased weight of your wallet.

The cartridges you purchase in the future will be approximately 16 dollars
each, as opposed to the greater cost -- I am told -- of the Syquest carts.

The Zip is lightweight, portable, easy to install (notwithstanding the
horror stories) and very durable.  

Personally, I think Zip is the way to go.

You might also compare speed of the two drives; the Zip is almost as quick
as a hard drive, but its big brother, the Jaz drive (capacity, 3
Gigabytes) is faster.  Of course, the carts cost 100 dollars, so it
depends on your needs and budget.

Good luck.  Let me know the outcome!

Louis

 
 
 

IOMEGA ZIP drive corrupts zip files

Post by Ara Mekhsia » Wed, 01 Jan 1997 04:00:00





> >I have a parallel zip drive that experienced all the problems of
> >installation that everyone else has been *ing about even under windows
> >95.
> As I am thinking about buying a parallel Iomega Zip drive (or SyQuest
> EZ135) I was very interested to read your remarks. Not being a regular
> on this n.g. I have missed all these tales of grief. I was wondering if
> anyone could give me a briefish summary of the main points that are
> causing people so much bother.
> I suspect that getting the printer to work will be one of the points.
> Any other advice to help me decide between the Iomega and SyQuest would
> be very welcome.

> --
> David Connor



I have used my ZIP 100 drive free of problems for three months. Did not
experience any installation problems either.

My problem is of my own making, to put it mildly.Please, don't ask how,
but I managed to irretrievably eradicate all the files on my "Zip 100
TOOLS" Iomega disk(Ver. 5). This is part of the installation/driver
pakage that came with the ZIP 100 drive. How can I get (buy, download,
etc.) another one?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Ara

 
 
 

IOMEGA ZIP drive corrupts zip files

Post by Brand » Thu, 02 Jan 1997 04:00:00





>>I have a parallel zip drive that experienced all the problems of
>>installation that everyone else has been *ing about even under windows
>>95.
>As I am thinking about buying a parallel Iomega Zip drive (or SyQuest
>EZ135) I was very interested to read your remarks. Not being a regular
>on this n.g. I have missed all these tales of grief. I was wondering if
>anyone could give me a briefish summary of the main points that are
>causing people so much bother.
>I suspect that getting the printer to work will be one of the points.
>For the record my system is:-   Pentium 120
>                                16 meg RAM
>                                PH5 motherboard with EPP/ECP parallel
>                                port
>                                C: drive = Seagate 1.00 gig
>                                D: drive = Seagate 250 meg
>                                E: drive = 6*speed CD
>                                Win 95/Win 3.11 dual-boot
>                                Canon BJC 4000 printer
>Any other advice to help me decide between the Iomega and SyQuest would
>be very welcome.
>   Have an EX135. Speed is great; tech support sux.
>--
>David Connor



 
 
 

IOMEGA ZIP drive corrupts zip files

Post by Edward Hart » Fri, 03 Jan 1997 04:00:00



Quote:

>I have used my ZIP 100 drive free of problems for three months. Did not
>experience any installation problems either.

>My problem is of my own making, to put it mildly.Please, don't ask how,
>but I managed to irretrievably eradicate all the files on my "Zip 100
>TOOLS" Iomega disk(Ver. 5). This is part of the installation/driver
>pakage that came with the ZIP 100 drive. How can I get (buy, download,
>etc.) another one?

>Any help is greatly appreciated.

>Ara

Ara,

I believe you can download the ZIP 100 TOOLS by going
to the website at this address:

http://www.scherer.net/zip/

Good luck.

Edward Hartel

 
 
 

1. PKzipped file corrupted by transfer to Iomega ZIP drive

PKzipped file corrupted by transfer to Iomega ZIP drive

I have a 105mb file which I successfully compressed under PKzip 204g
to 20mb. The file PKunzips fine when it is unzipped on my local HD.

But something happens to corrupt the file when I copy it to my ZIP
drive. I am unable to PKunzip it from the ZIP drive without getting
the following errors:

PKUNZIP: (w21) Warning! file has bad table
PKUNZIP: (w21) Warning! file fails CRC
PKUNZIP: (w21) Warning! file d:gvbooks.zip has errors

The unzip operation then fails.

After re-zipping the original files again, I copied them to once again
to the ZIP drive and then brought the file back on to the hard drive.
just in case PKZip is the problem. To my surprise, the file was
corrupted the same way. I repeated the whole procedure with a new
cartridge and I got the same result.

Anyone with the same problems?

2. he can improve sneakily, unless Haji judges wrinkles before Mahammed's dose

3. Can't unzip file zipped to zip drive

4. Microsoft Enterprise demo

5. help pkunzip fails when unzipping file pkzipped to Iomega Zip drive

6. Windows 98 shut down

7. Trade Black Zip Drive for Beige Zip drive

8. SORRY for my previous post, posted to the wrong newsgroup.

9. Zip drive vs. Zip Plus drive

10. Iomega USB Zip better than Parallel Zip?

11. HELP: ZIP-disk (IOMEGA) : boot & root corrupt

12. Another encrypted zip file problem - Zip file experts please

13. zcrypt21.zip Encryption sources for Info-ZIP's un/zip