Altec Lansing ACS295, no sound

Altec Lansing ACS295, no sound

Post by Matt » Thu, 31 Jul 2003 16:23:00



I have a set of ACS295's, 3-piece system including subwoofer, that suddenly
lost sound.  The fuse tests as good.  I can't find any literature on their
web site, or schematic anywhere.

I took it apart, and saw the power supply, cross-over, and switching
controls (on one of the speakers).  The switching controls communicate with
the subwoofer, where the guts are contained, so there's a complicated 5-pin
cable, and I don't know which pins carry the sound, and which carry settings
information.

Does anyone know where to start to do a simple fix, get repairs or just more
info?  I'm about good with a soldering iron, that's all, my fanciest
equipment is a mulitmeter.  I don't want repairs to exceed value (I see ads
for used sets for about $60).

Thanks much, Matt

 
 
 

Altec Lansing ACS295, no sound

Post by removespamandslimermilnes.. » Sat, 02 Aug 2003 03:12:19


Did you hook it up to a Walkman, or cassette player to test it? I had
a noise problem (bad hum) with my PC sound system, and I tried it with
a Walkman, clear as a bell. The sound card was toast.

Bob M.



Quote:>I have a set of ACS295's, 3-piece system including subwoofer, that suddenly
>lost sound.  The fuse tests as good.  I can't find any literature on their
>web site, or schematic anywhere.

>I took it apart, and saw the power supply, cross-over, and switching
>controls (on one of the speakers).  The switching controls communicate with
>the subwoofer, where the guts are contained, so there's a complicated 5-pin
>cable, and I don't know which pins carry the sound, and which carry settings
>information.

>Does anyone know where to start to do a simple fix, get repairs or just more
>info?  I'm about good with a soldering iron, that's all, my fanciest
>equipment is a mulitmeter.  I don't want repairs to exceed value (I see ads
>for used sets for about $60).

>Thanks much, Matt


 
 
 

Altec Lansing ACS295, no sound

Post by Matt » Wed, 06 Aug 2003 10:23:47


Yes, thanks, I hooked it to several computers as well.

Altec Lansing doesn't seem to offer schematics, and I've had a hard time
getting through to their customer support line.  I'd love any suggestions on
where to start with self-repair, or if it's best to ditch them vs. pay for
repairs.

Thanks, Matt


> Did you hook it up to a Walkman, or cassette player to test it? I had
> a noise problem (bad hum) with my PC sound system, and I tried it with
> a Walkman, clear as a bell. The sound card was toast.

> Bob M.



> >I have a set of ACS295's, 3-piece system including subwoofer, that
suddenly
> >lost sound.  The fuse tests as good.  I can't find any literature on
their
> >web site, or schematic anywhere.

> >I took it apart, and saw the power supply, cross-over, and switching
> >controls (on one of the speakers).  The switching controls communicate
with
> >the subwoofer, where the guts are contained, so there's a complicated
5-pin
> >cable, and I don't know which pins carry the sound, and which carry
settings
> >information.

> >Does anyone know where to start to do a simple fix, get repairs or just
more
> >info?  I'm about good with a soldering iron, that's all, my fanciest
> >equipment is a mulitmeter.  I don't want repairs to exceed value (I see
ads
> >for used sets for about $60).

> >Thanks much, Matt

 
 
 

Altec Lansing ACS295, no sound

Post by removespamandslimermilnes.. » Wed, 06 Aug 2003 23:43:25


They won't provide schematics. The best you could hope for is to take
it to a Altec Lansing repair shop, or dealer, but get an estimate (and
find out how much they want to troubleshoot it far enough to give you
an estimate). If you have spare time, you could try putting an input
into it and tracing it through the circuitry with a probe and a small
speaker, or headphones. These days, most small amps are just a big IC,
though.

Good luck,

Bob M.



>Yes, thanks, I hooked it to several computers as well.

>Altec Lansing doesn't seem to offer schematics, and I've had a hard time
>getting through to their customer support line.  I'd love any suggestions on
>where to start with self-repair, or if it's best to ditch them vs. pay for
>repairs.

>Thanks, Matt



>> Did you hook it up to a Walkman, or cassette player to test it? I had
>> a noise problem (bad hum) with my PC sound system, and I tried it with
>> a Walkman, clear as a bell. The sound card was toast.

>> Bob M.



>> >I have a set of ACS295's, 3-piece system including subwoofer, that
>suddenly
>> >lost sound.  The fuse tests as good.  I can't find any literature on
>their
>> >web site, or schematic anywhere.

>> >I took it apart, and saw the power supply, cross-over, and switching
>> >controls (on one of the speakers).  The switching controls communicate
>with
>> >the subwoofer, where the guts are contained, so there's a complicated
>5-pin
>> >cable, and I don't know which pins carry the sound, and which carry
>settings
>> >information.

>> >Does anyone know where to start to do a simple fix, get repairs or just
>more
>> >info?  I'm about good with a soldering iron, that's all, my fanciest
>> >equipment is a mulitmeter.  I don't want repairs to exceed value (I see
>ads
>> >for used sets for about $60).

>> >Thanks much, Matt

 
 
 

1. High-pitched sound from Altec Lansing subwoofer

I have the Altec Lansing ADA885 system with the SB Live sound card. There
is a loud high-pitched sound coming from my subwoofer (not my speakers)
everytime I turn my speakers on. I have tried unplugging the system, but
the sound is still there. Any guesses?

--
Posted via CNET Help.com
http://www.help.com/

2. VoIP on Internet: Frame vs Internet

3. Anyone have or try those Altec Lansing XA3051's?

4. Amiga USER Group in Riverside, Ca. area?

5. Altec Lansing ACS410 PC Speakers with Dolby

6. threads & GUIs

7. Altec Lansing Acs 41 speakers $45.00

8. system not shutting down

9. Help with ACS295 speakers: on, but no sound

10. Please HelP! Altec Lansing ACS410 PC Speakers with Dolby

11. Altec acs495 USB trouble

12. altec acs45.1 speakers

13. HELP: Which NOS/platform is best for Oracle