External DVD writer recommendations?

Post by MS » Tue, 29 Jul 2003 04:45:15

My computer is a notebook, with a CDRW-DVD combo drive built-in. (It can
read and write CDs, but can only read DVDs.)

I'm thinking of perhaps purchasing an external DVD writer for it, but I know
nothing about them. My notebook has both USB 2.0 and  firewire connections.

What should I look for in purchasing one, besides price? I saw an ad for a
refurbished HP 300E for about $190, seems like a good price. I think it has
both USB 2 and Firewire connections.

I have recently read that there are three standards for DVD writing, DVD+,
DVD-. and DVD-RAM. That is very confusing. What is the difference between
these standards. Can a DVD burned with a recorder on one standard, be played
back with one on another standard? Do stand-alone DVD players that you
connect to the TV read all three kinds? Will the DVD-reading drive
built-into my notebook read DVDs burned with all three burner types, both
for movies and for data? For RW too? If not, how can I find out which kind
the internal drive will read?

Thank you for any tips on buying such a drive.

External DVD writer recommendations?

Post by Mark Gillespi » Tue, 29 Jul 2003 05:21:44

   MS enlightened the world by saying on 27/07/2003 20:45:

Quote:> My computer is a notebook, with a CDRW-DVD combo drive built-in. (It can
> read and write CDs, but can only read DVDs.)

> I'm thinking of perhaps purchasing an external DVD writer for it, but I know
> nothing about them. My notebook has both USB 2.0 and  firewire connections.

> What should I look for in purchasing one, besides price? I saw an ad for a
> refurbished HP 300E for about $190, seems like a good price. I think it has
> both USB 2 and Firewire connections.

> I have recently read that there are three standards for DVD writing, DVD+,
> DVD-. and DVD-RAM. That is very confusing. What is the difference between
> these standards. Can a DVD burned with a recorder on one standard, be played
> back with one on another standard? Do stand-alone DVD players that you
> connect to the TV read all three kinds? Will the DVD-reading drive
> built-into my notebook read DVDs burned with all three burner types, both
> for movies and for data? For RW too? If not, how can I find out which kind
> the internal drive will read?

1st the easy one, DVD-RAM does not play on most settop DVD players, so
should be ruled out (most writers include it as an additional format
anyway).

The DVD- vs DVD+ is a little more complicated.  Both formats play in
MOST settop players, there is not 100% compatability with either
standard.   DVD-R is the official standard, as sanctioned by DVDForum,
it has also been around the longest, and therefore works in a much wider
range of players.  You can of course get writers that support several
standards, but you have to pay more.

Personally, I would buy a DVD-R/RW writer, as the media is cheaper, and
the compatability is better.  The Pioneer A05 is a good buy, and can be
got very cheaply.  Pioneer have recently launched the A06, which
supports DVD-R/RW and DVD+R/RW but is slightly more expensive.

Hope this sheds some light.

--
"There's only 2 things you need in a tool box. Duct tape in case
something is moving and it shouldn't.  WD-40, in case something isn't

1. Need help hooking up 3 hard drives, a CD Writer, and a DVD Writer.

I'm trying to find out the best way to set my PC up. I currently have
a 20 gig and an 80 gig hard drive on the primary IDE controller. On
the secondary IDE controller I have a CD-Burner as master and a
DVD-Rom as slave.
Well, I've recently bought another 80 gig hard drive and a DVD Burner.
I'm planning on replacing the DVD-Rom Drive with the DVD Burner, but
I'm going to add the 80 gig drive as well.

What is the best way to do this?
I have 2 IDE controllers and 2 Raid IDE controllers that I understand
can be used as standard IDE controllers for hard drives but not ATAPI
devices like CD/CDR/DVD Drives, etc.

I've heard that both DVD Burners and CD Burners like to be masters. I
want to keep my CD Burner as it writes up to 32x as opposed to the 16x
or so that the DVD Burner can write CD's. I was thinking of keeping
the two existing hard drives on IDE 0, keeping the CD Burner as master
on IDE 1, putting the DVD Burner on IDE 1 as a slave, and finally
putting my new 80 gig drive on IDE 2 (which is a Raid IDE controller).
Does that sound like the best way to do it?

Thanks.

Patrick

2. backup Monaco GP?

3. Using DVD writer (PC use) as DVD recorder (video and TV)?

4. ODL and OQL

5. Internal to External CD Writer??

6. 2MB limit on network boot?

7. Need drivers for HP USB External CD-Writer 8220e/8230e

8. Color laser vs ink jet vs plotter

9. External CD writers???

10. Internal or External CD Writer

11. PDF writer recommendation