CD-ROM Standard(s)

Post by Dag Schoi » Sun, 07 Jul 1991 01:57:36

My employer wants me to find out if there is such a thing as a
standard for CD-ROM, and CD-ROM players. I tried the local book-
stores and several back issues of Byte magazine with no luck.
  Maybe there is a document somewhere on the net or if anybody
knows of any up-to-date books on the subject I would very much
appreciate your help by e-mail.
   Sorry if this is not the right newsgroup for this question, I
tried to be imaginative.
--
Dag Sch|ier,
Kjessler & Mannerstr}le, Solna, SWEDEN,

CD-ROM Standard(s)

Post by Dag Schoi » Thu, 11 Jul 1991 00:54:13

First of all, thanks for all the informative answers to my question about
CD-ROM Standard(s)

I now realise there is a standard called ISO-9660 for the file-system
on the CD-ROM's.

When I read ads for CD-ROM Drives and discs I don't see how I could know
(apart from asking the various advertisers) in what ways I can combine
Discs and Drives. I realize that in order to use a drive I probably need
the manufacturers driver for whatever system I am using but what I really
want to know is about compatibility/incompatibility between Disks and Drives.

If ISO-9660 is the standard for both Macs, DOS-machines, Suns etc does that
mean I can use the same Disc with all of them (probably not :-( ) if I use
the proper software ?

What I should have included in my question is wether the standard (apparently
ISO-9660) is enforced and/or commonly adhered to.

--
Dag Sch|ier,
Kjessler & Mannerstr}le, Solna, SWEDEN,

1. CD-ROM Jukebox, CD-ROM exchanger for 100, or more cds

--
Hi:

I'm looking for a CD-ROM exchanger capable to handle up to 300 cd-roms.

We have many megabytes of image scanned data.

Could you please, tell or suggest me some products ?

Thanks, Alencar K. Koga

2. Suggested readings comp.par/comp.sys.super (24/28) FAQ

3. CD-ROM Drive unable to read CD-ROM

4. Newton 2MB Flash Card with HP200LX?

5. cd-rom won't recognize data cd-rom's

6. FFMeta or FFMeta Plus?

7. Request for info on CD-ROM formats and standards

8. domain name

9. CD-ROM standards??

10. CD-rom trays and business card cd-roms

11. CD-ROM Reads Music CD's or DATA CD's (Not Both)

12. SCSI CD-R or CD-RW + EIDE CD-ROM

13. Yamaha CRW2100EZ CD-R/CD-ROM/CD-RW drive not bootable