Printing quickly to a HP laserjet (HP Laserjet on ethernet?)

Post by Mark Fidl » Fri, 11 Oct 1991 05:53:38

>    > We would like to hang a cheap laser printer, e.g. an HP LASERJET III
>    > on ethernet.  The purpose is to print large (~200 KByte) bit-mapped graphic
>    > files reasonably fast.

>        The first thing that I would recommend, is to get the bitmap compression
>    software that was posted to the net a little while back.  This will optimize
>    the compression for each line and greatly reduce the size of the bitmap file.
>    It was written by someone at HP, and is unsupported, but seems to do a
>    wonderful job and reduces by 3-4X our bitmaps.

>        If this still isn't sufficient, then hook up a 386 clone with a parallel
>    card and an ethernet board, running as a simple spooler.  Total cost
>    hardware and software cost (NFS or TCP) should be about $1,000.  It's not
>    cheap, but you will be able to drive the HP LJ III at about full speed.
>    (we get about 20KB/s vs 1.9KB/s serial).

>        If this still isn't sufficent, then just buy the LJ IIISi which has
>    a much faster print engine, and an ethernet card option.

>            John D. Woolverton, Video Bits

     Hewlett Packard makes network interface cards for the LaserJet II/IID/III and
     IIID which plug directly into the optional I/O slot.  They support IBM/MicroSoft
     LAN MANAGER and NOVELL Netware network operating systems.  There are two
     Ethernet physical type supported, either Thin coax or the 10BaseT.

     The average data throughput will be about 25 Kbytes/sec which is over twice the
     maximum throughput you can obtain on the built in Centronics interface of the
     LaserJet III's.  (the throughput for the LaserJet II will be about 7 to 8 kbytes
     but on all other models you will see the 25 Kbytes).

     We also make interfaces for the IIISI and the performance for raster graphics will
     be about 6 times greater than the average throughput stated above (product numbers
     (C2059A,B,C,or D).

     Hope this helps, product numbers are C2071(A,B,C,D,E or F) depending on network
     operating system and physical media  (the E and F products are for token ring).

     Mark Fidler
     Roseville Networks Division
     Hewlett-Packard

1. Printing quickly to a HP laserjet (HP Laserjet on ethernet?)

Since there seems to be a fair amount of interest in using parallel ports on
HP LJ's and since it doesn't seem like this fact is well known:

Be cautioned: the HP documentation says that the parallel port becomes write
only when an HP PS cartridge is used.  This means that you will not get
anything back from the printer if you use the the parallel port.  Not only
does this include `out of paper' messages, but also PS errors (which are
useful if you're trying to debug a postscript file.)  As an earlier poster
mentioned, it also may make interactive font downloading impossible.

2. ?-Ranking of sales in Excel

3. HP Laserjet 4M on ethernet?

4. Q: Writing setup program for installing software

5. HP Laserjet 4M and Ethernet (was: How well does it work?)

6. Software version on MGS Router

7. PLEASE HELP: OpticPro Scanner causes HP Laserjet 4L to print extra page??

8. Looking to buy and sell used Dialogic boards

9. HELP: OpticPro Scanner causes HP Laserjet 4L to print extra page??

10. HP LaserJet printing problems

11. Printing Problems with HP LaserJet 5MP

12. Printing from NS-Intel to HP LaserJet IIID w/PS cartridge

13. Printing from NS-Intel to HP LaserJet IIID w/PS cartridge...oops