Zip Drive or Another Hard Drive or what?

Zip Drive or Another Hard Drive or what?

Post by Jill Robert » Thu, 30 Jan 1997 04:00:00

I am a college student with limited monetary sources so please keep this in mind when
answering this question.
        I have several LARGE programs that are on my hard drive and are only used periodically,
but are taking up a lot of room on my hard drive.  I also like to be able to do stuff on my dad's
computer when I go home (which is pretty frequently), but he doesn't want those large aplications
on his computer, for the limited use that they get, either.
        So I am debating on getting some type of storage device that I can transport these large
applications on back and forth.  I want something that is re-writable, so CD-R's are out.  I have
narrowed it down to 3 different options (although I am willing to consider others).  They are:
Iomega Zip (external Parallel version), a removable hard drive, or one of the new 120MB floppy
drives (actually 2 because my dad would have to have one).
        Can anybody give me any suggestions or tips?  I don't know too much about the search
speeds on any of them (except the hard drive) so I don't even know if they would be practical for
my purpose.
        Some of the applications I would want to run directly from this device would be MathCAD,
Borland Turbo C++, WordPerfect, PhotoShop, PageMaker, to name, but I few (do you see my problem
now).  Currently I have one 1.2 GB hard drive running on a P100 with 24 MB of RAM.
        One thing to consider if I buy the zip drive my dad may pay for part (providing I let him
use it) and if I buy the 120MB floppy, he would pay for the one in his computer.  If you also
have some brandname suggestions I would also appreciate those. Could you please respond by e-mail
since I don't regularly read this group.

Zip Drive or Another Hard Drive or what?

Post by Matt Ginte » Thu, 30 Jan 1997 04:00:00

What I would suggest is CompUSA has the Internal SCSI Zip Drive on

$50  mail-in rebate.   This comes with a SCSI controller and makes it
about 10x faster than the parallel port version, plus you wouldn't have
to carry it back and forth....Also, I would pick zip over 120MB
floppies, becuase they are more standard.  Hope this helps...Let me know
if you have other questions.

Post by Daniel J. Kimme » Sat, 01 Feb 1997 04:00:00

> What I would suggest is CompUSA has the Internal SCSI Zip Drive on

> less $50  mail-in rebate.   This comes with a SCSI controller and
> makes it about 10x faster than the parallel port version, plus you
> wouldn't have to carry it back and forth....Also, I would pick zip
> over 120MB floppies, becuase they are more standard.  Hope this
> helps...Let me know if you have other questions.

If your friends and dad all use the ZIP drive then stick with that
device, however if you and your dad are planning on getting the same
devices and all of your friends don't use zip drives get the sysquest
removable hard drive, it absolutely smokes the iomega floppies for about
the same money.