SCSI Floptical questions

Post by e.. » Wed, 02 Sep 1992 13:02:04

Greetings,

I am specifying a floptical drive to replace a 720K 3.5" floppy.

Does anyone have any experience with flopticals that they
could share with me? I have seen the literature on the drive
made by Insite Peripherals. The media seems to come from at
least 2 sources, 3M and Maxell.

Are the drives second sourced?
Are there any other alternatives that I should consider?
How reliable are they?
Any problems with interchanging media between drives?
Any special SW problems? I am working with a proprietary real time OS
and a SCSI interface.

Any other questions that I should be asking?

Please email to me and I will summarize.

Thanks,

Erle

-------------

Workstation Products, Inc.                    phone (214)669-9587
322 Meadowlark Drive                            fax (214)669-8550
Richardson, Texas 75080

--

Workstation Products, Inc.                    phone (214)669-9587
322 Meadowlark Drive                            fax (214)669-8550

1. SCSI Floptical Benchmarking?

I have a floptical drive connected to my PC SCSI controller but can't
find any benchmarks that will test it.  Everything I have will only do
hard drives.  Is there anything out there that will bench my floptical?
I would think any one of the following benchmarks would do:

1) A floptical
2) A removeable-media device such as syquest or optical drive
3) A logical DOS drive
4) A floppy drive

To be specific it is a PLI-brand INSITE-manufactured external MAC floptical
drive connected internally to a PC.  The SCSI controller is a Ultrastor 14F
SCSI-2 controller.  I have been able to run all Adaptec software on it so
far so I think it is Adaptec compatible.

Surprisingly it wasn't hard convincing an external MAC drive to be an
internal PC drive.  The hard part is ejecting the disks.

2. phd thesis available

3. Adaptec SCSI 1522 SCSI host adapterm NEC SCSI external 6x CD_ROM

4. Anyone Have Epson Postscript RIP?

5. SCSI,SCSI II, WIDE SCSI

6. FAQ: News and Mail: pointer to comp.os.msdos.mail-news FAQs

7. SCSI->SCSI vs. SCSI->ESDI disk performance?

8. History of printers?

9. scsi vs. wide scsi vs. fast and wide scsi?

10. Connect an Iomega Floptical drive?

11. Floptical on Dimension??

12. and possibly [m68k], Insite Floptical 21 Mb w/ AH 1542C

13. Floptical EJECT! Doh!