Windows Explorer hangs while copying files to DVD+RW

Windows Explorer hangs while copying files to DVD+RW

Post by Code Develope » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 20:39:19

Hi All,

Hope someone can help with this one.

I have just installed an NEC 1300A DVD writer into my PC - a 1300 Athlon
based system with 0.5Gb RAM, and 80Gb + 40Gb HDs. DVD writer is capable of
DVD+/-R DVD+/-RW, plus CDs etc. All installed on E-IDE channels.

I installed Nero and the latest version of InCD after Win2K recognised the
drive. I then put a new DVD+RW disk into the drive, formatted it, and this
now shows up in Windows explorer. OK so far.

Now, the problem occurs when I try to copy a number of files that total over
a certain amount onto the DVD using Windows Explorer. For example, if I
select a group of files which total around 5Mb and copy them to the DVD
drive, they go over without any problems.

If I select a group of files totalling around 60Mb and try to copy them,
they eventually get copied over but explorer seems to hang every now and
then, with no activity from the HD or DVD drive for a couple of minutes at a
time. They will then continue copying, usually successfully.

The real problem seems to be when I try to copy a group of files totalling a
few hundred Mb over onto the DVD. Explorer starts copying, with the progress
bar creeping slowly up, every now and then stopping with no activity for a
couple of minutes before resuming copying. However, with a group of files
this large explorer usually hangs half way through the process and does not
continue, no matter how long it is left.

Any ideas, anyone?

Thanks for any help,
Regards,
Shaun.

--
To reply to my email address remove 'removethisbit', and insert the word
NOSPAM in the subject.

Post by Mike Richte » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 05:16:26

> Hi All,

> Hope someone can help with this one.

> I have just installed an NEC 1300A DVD writer into my PC - a 1300 Athlon
> based system with 0.5Gb RAM, and 80Gb + 40Gb HDs. DVD writer is capable of
> DVD+/-R DVD+/-RW, plus CDs etc. All installed on E-IDE channels.

> I installed Nero and the latest version of InCD after Win2K recognised the
> drive. I then put a new DVD+RW disk into the drive, formatted it, and this
> now shows up in Windows explorer. OK so far.

> Now, the problem occurs when I try to copy a number of files that total over
> a certain amount onto the DVD using Windows Explorer. For example, if I
> select a group of files which total around 5Mb and copy them to the DVD
> drive, they go over without any problems.

> If I select a group of files totalling around 60Mb and try to copy them,
> they eventually get copied over but explorer seems to hang every now and
> then, with no activity from the HD or DVD drive for a couple of minutes at a
> time. They will then continue copying, usually successfully.

> The real problem seems to be when I try to copy a group of files totalling a
> few hundred Mb over onto the DVD. Explorer starts copying, with the progress
> bar creeping slowly up, every now and then stopping with no activity for a
> couple of minutes before resuming copying. However, with a group of files
> this large explorer usually hangs half way through the process and does not
> continue, no matter how long it is left.

> Any ideas, anyone?

You are using the least reliable and most fragile format for writing
your discs. Unless you are compelled to do so for other reasons, I
strongly recommend that you master the "few hundred MB" instead of
writing packets. I also recommend - unless you have strong reasons for
doing otherwise - that you use write-once, not erasable media.

There are many possible reasons for the failure you report; frankly if
you insist on writing fixed-length packets in batches of that size, you
can expect problems from the Windows filesystem. At the least, you
should plan to move no more than 50 MB at a time; what you are doing now
will increase interleave (depending on the size, all the files may be in
various stages of writing at once) and may never succeed.

Mike
--

http://www.mrichter.com/

Windows Explorer hangs while copying files to DVD+RW

Post by smh » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:36:24

.           --------------------------------------
               Mike Richter, were you born with
            "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
            --------------------------------------

Quote:

> You are using the least reliable and most fragile format for writing
> your discs. Unless you are compelled to do so for other reasons, I
> strongly recommend that you master the "few hundred MB" instead of
> writing packets. I also recommend - unless you have strong reasons for
> doing otherwise - that you use write-once, not erasable media.

Only strongly recommend, Hit&Run?  Getting modest, Hit&Run?

    Mike Richter (Hit&Run Mikey) wrote (6/16/03):

    > Fixed-length packets are the least reliable and most fragile
    > format available for CD recording. Use it at your own
    > (substantial) risk.

    Only substantial risk, Hit&Run?  Why *footing around, Hit&Run?
    The word is "lethal."  Is the word "lethal" no longer in your
    vocabulary, Hit&Run?

             -------------------------------------
             Mike Richter & "Lethal for archiving"
             -------------------------------------
          ----------------------
          From:    Mike Richter (Lying Scum)
          Subject: Re: File Integrity Errors - DirectCD Bug?
          Date:    10/15/01

          Combining the flaky UDF fixed-length packets with
          the tendency of erasables (particularly HS) to forget
          is  LETHAL  for archiving.
          ----------------------

Post by smh » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:39:07

.           --------------------------------------
               Mike Richter, were you born with
            "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
            --------------------------------------

Quote:

> You are using the least reliable and most fragile format for writing
> your discs. Unless you are compelled to do so for other reasons, I
> strongly recommend that you master the "few hundred MB" instead of
> writing packets. I also recommend - unless you have strong reasons for
> doing otherwise - that you use write-once, not erasable media.

Only strongly recommend, Hit&Run?  Getting modest, Hit&Run?

   Mike Richter (Hit&Run Mikey) wrote (6/16/03):

   > Fixed-length packets are the least reliable and most fragile format
   > available for CD recording. Use it at your own (substantial) risk.

   Substantial risk, Hit&Run?

   Why then were you allowing to BACKUP, of all things, to DirectCD
   formatted Rewritable disc, Hit&Run?

       =====================
       From:    Mike Richter (Acraptec Shill)
       Subject: A note on Take Two
       Date:    9/1/99

       You  may  back up ...to a DCD-formatted  erasable.
       =====================

Post by smh » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 11:47:05

.           --------------------------------------
               Mike Richter, were you born with
            "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
            --------------------------------------

> > I installed Nero and the latest version of InCD after Win2K recognised the
> > drive.

>  <snip>

Why are you piping in, Hit&Run?  Do you use Nero/InCD?

Whatever happened to your [...not use...not know...not write...]?

Was Adrian Miller wrong about you, Hit&Run?

        =======================
        From:    Adrian Miller
        Subject: Sam needs to apologise to Mike now.
         (was:   Wife Beating Stopped, Mike Richter?)
        Date:    4/25/01

        Unlike certain people he does not like to speculate on matters
        that he does not have personal experience of.
        =======================

Didn't Adrian Miller have reliable information then, Hit&Run?

        =====================
        From:    Mike Richter (Lying Scum)
        Subject: Re: ASPI, W2K, and the truth
        Date:    8/2/01

        [Adrian Miller] does provide reliable information
        when he has it in my experience.
        ======================

.            --------------------------------------

================================
From:   (Videoman)
Subject: Re: What is Responsible  for Packet Writing Instability?
Date:    6/28/01

>> What is the cause for this instability?  Is it Roxio?  Or, is packet
>> writing itself unstable under WIN 2000, making it impossible to write
>> reliable code allowing one to write directly to CD-RWs?

>Because the information must be read and organized at insertion, loading
>a complex disc is slow. Reading and writing are slow and complex because
>the packets are *not* contiguous. If you stack up writes and have
>concurrent file activity, there's a real chance that the Windows
>filesystem will balk and fail to complete the write.

It's not the Windows filesystem, it's the packet-writing software.

Quote:>Most of the above is independent of the program used. In any case, if
>compression is used, it increases the odds of failure and reduces the
>chance of recovery - and usually doesn't improve storage significantly.
>DCD has gradually decreased sensitivity to the filesystem problems, but
>they're still there if you write a lot of files concurrently. Again,
>that's essentially a Windows file management issue.

The problems are all DCD's. Don't start to blame Windows for this one,
Mike.

================================

Post by smh » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 15:36:08

.           --------------------------------------
               Mike Richter, were you born with
            "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
            --------------------------------------

> There are many possible reasons for the failure you report; frankly if
> you insist on writing fixed-length packets in batches of that size, you
> can expect problems from the Windows filesystem.

====================================
(MS KB Q328600)

Roxio DirectCD 5.1 Stops Responding
When You Copy Large Files to CD-ROM

SYMPTOMS
After you install Service Pack 1 (SP1) for Windows XP, the DirectCD
program included with Roxio Easy CD Creator version 5.1 may stop
responding when you use it to copy large files (for example, files of
more than 100 megabytes [MB]) to a CD-ROM.

RESOLUTION
To resolve this issue, download and then install the latest update to
Roxio Easy CD Creator.
====================================

Wow!  cRoxio fixes Windows filesystem!

.            --------------------------------------

From:    smh
Subject: Re: AVI files in Direct CD
Date:    2/14/03

>  > I was copying a few avi files to my cd-rw disk, and all went well,
>  > until I wanted to see how the copy was. I clicked on one of the 6
>  > that I copied to play it back. One or two of the six turned out bad.
>  > One of them started okay, and then the scene just froze. The other
>  > had choppy scenes and audio, not like the original. The other 4 were
>  > good. These avi files were done by the same software ( ATI ) and
>  > played back by ATI's File Player. Why would some come out good and
>  > others bad? I deleted the bad one, and recopied it. This time it came
>  > out good. Does it make a difference when copying..by doing it in
>  > clusters, in this case 2 or 3, or copying them one at a time?

> You are using the least reliable, most fragile format known to CD. You
> are far better off mastering the disc or writing variable-length
> packets. For one thing, a disc in fixed-length packets is as fragmented
> as possible. Playback of such a large file is extremely slow because of
> the vast number of seeks required.

Whatever happened to this weasel drivel, Mikey?

Mikey spewed this weasel drivel when DirectCD had trouble with large
files:
    =====================
    From:    Mike Richter (cRoxshit Shill)
    Subject: Re: Direct CD - I know, I know, but could somebody help?
    Date:    10/7/02

    > ... I formatted a new CDR, and successfully burned a 200 MB
    > mpeg file to it. I even ejected it, put it back in, played the
    > file, and everything seemed ok.)
    >
    > But then when I tried to burn the second large file, it appeared
    > to write only about 20 seconds of the mpeg, and then just stopped.

    ... packet writing is made for drag-and-drop of smaller files ...
    =====================

But then when DirectCD had trouble with small files, Mikey spewed this:
    =========================
    From:    Peter Kronenberg
    Subject: Re: Help!  Can't copy files to Direct CD
    Date:    10/1/02

    > > I'm having a problem with Direct CD.  I think it started when
    > > I upgraded to 5.3.1.154.  I upgraded again to 5.3.1.154 SP4,
    > > hoping that would fix it, but it's the same.
    > >
    > > Basically, I can't copy more than a certain number of files to
    > > the CD. I format a brand new CD.  Somewhere between 60-70 files,
    > > or about 10-15MB, I get two message boxes ...

    > It is more likely due to a problem with your medium than with the
    > updates.
    >
    > Are you writing to erasables or write-once blanks?  Your symptoms
    > are familiar to those trying to write fixed-length packets to an
    > unproven medium.

    I'm writing to the same batch of CD-R disks that I've been using
    for a while.
    =========================

Post by smh » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 17:22:12

.            --------------------------------------
                Mike Richter, were you born with
             "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
             --------------------------------------

> You are using the least reliable and most fragile format for writing
> your discs.

Got time to respond to this, Hit&Run?

      =======================================

          From:    Gerry_uk
          Subject: Re: Could not drag-and-drop from windows explorer
          Date:    5/20/03

          > Fixed-length packets ... provide the
          > most fragile and least reliable format for writing to CD.

          that's not the case with Packet Writing in general.
          =======================
      =======================================

Post by smh » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 17:25:18

.            --------------------------------------
                Mike Richter, were you born with
             "Scam Artist" emblazoned on your face?
             --------------------------------------

> You are using the least reliable and most fragile format for writing
> your discs. Unless you are compelled to do so for other reasons, I
> strongly recommend that you master the "few hundred MB" instead of
> writing packets.

Only strongly recommend?  How about the substantial risk?  How about
losing data, Hit&Run?

=======================================

    --------------------------------
    From:   "BrianT"
    Subject: Re: Loosing Disk Space {formatting CDRW}
    Date:    5/8/03

    Mike Richter (Hit&Run) wrote...

    > > Hi this is strange, anyone else get this? or can explain it
    > > When I re-format a CDRW with Drag to Disk Full Format {EasyCD
    > > 6}, the space available after format drops by between 150 and
    > > 200 Mgs and I cannot get it back. A full format on a new CDRW
    > > is OK. I have a LG 52x24x52x and use TDK or Packard Bell 10X
    > > CDRW. This never happened with EasyCD 5.
    >
    > The space you are losing is due to sectors found to be unreliable.
    > It's a good sign that the disc is developing errors and is ready
    > for the trash. You'll also find that formatting gets slower; it
    > takes time to retry verification and to mark the bad sectors.
    >
    > If you insist on using fixed-length packets, you ask for that as
    > well as losing data.

    Mmm, but if I format a brand new CDRW I get the full monty then if I
    immediately re-format, quick or full, I loose 150Mg. Surly CDRW's
    don't develop errors after 5 minutes?

    Also from your statement "If you insist on using fixed-length
    packets, you ask for that as well as losing data" are you suggesting
    that the Drag and Drop part of Easy CD is unreliable and should not
    be used ?

    If so why does Easy Cd 6 have this software and say how easy it is
    to use. Now I am very puzzled.

Windows Explorer hangs while copying files to DVD+RW

Post by Tim Kroese » Sun, 22 Jun 2003 06:43:49

complaints against 'SMH'.  Please "FORWARD"  complaints with header info
pasted over top to the following, and do your part to eliminate this
idiot and his psychotic Four year old campaign.  The more that
participate and complain the faster the job gets done.