3" 5" Disk drives are not being recognized after installing Zip drive

3" 5" Disk drives are not being recognized after installing Zip drive

Post by James Bukovsa » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I recently installed a zip drive IDE internal in a Pentium 100, running
Win95B.

This setup inside was very strange, it had a 3" and a 5" set up as a
bus, along with a CDROM and the harddrive.
The ROM and the harddrive each had their own IDE connection, and was a
master.

The case of the computer was extremely cramped, and at first I thought
the Zip drive was going to be on the 3" and 5" bus.
I soon found out otherwise, when I realised that the IDE cable for these
two drives was not of the same connector type.
(Too few pins).

I finally set the zip drive up as a slave on the CDROM drive and it
works fine.  However, the 3" and the 5" do not work now.
They get power and run constantly, but the computer does not recognize
them.

Can someone point me in the direction of a FAQ or help me trouble shoot
this?

My email is:

Cut out the nonsense to reply.

Thank you.

James Bukovsan

Post by Deep.. » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

>I recently installed a zip drive IDE internal in a Pentium 100, running
>Win95B.

There's a good chance that the BIOS for this system doesn't support
the ATAPI Zip, so it may be important that you are able to prevent it
from trying to control it.

Quote:>This setup inside was very strange, it had a 3" and a 5" set up as a
>bus, along with a CDROM and the harddrive.
>The ROM and the harddrive each had their own IDE connection, and was a
>master.

>The case of the computer was extremely cramped, and at first I thought
>the Zip drive was going to be on the 3" and 5" bus.
>I soon found out otherwise, when I realised that the IDE cable for these
>two drives was not of the same connector type.
>(Too few pins).

>I finally set the zip drive up as a slave on the CDROM drive and it
>works fine.  However, the 3" and the 5" do not work now.
>They get power and run constantly, but the computer does not recognize
>them.

>Can someone point me in the direction of a FAQ or help me trouble shoot
>this?

Try looking through the section on 'IDE/ATAPI Zip Drives' at my
website.

--
Coping With Zip And Jaz Drives
http://www.netcom.com/~deepone/zipjaz/index.html

3" 5" Disk drives are not being recognized after installing Zip drive

Post by James Bukovsa » Sun, 24 Jan 1999 04:00:00

I found a BIOS update for this machine.  However I need a 3" disk to install
it.  And when I remove the Zip drive and the CDROM, I still don't have
access to the drive.  How do I get access back to my A drive?

Win95 config says there is a conflict or the device is not working properly,
but now clue as to how I get it back.

Thanks for everyone's help so far, again, my email is:

Cutting out the nonsense to reply.

> I recently installed a zip drive IDE internal in a Pentium 100, running
> Win95B.

> This setup inside was very strange, it had a 3" and a 5" set up as a
> bus, along with a CDROM and the harddrive.
> The ROM and the harddrive each had their own IDE connection, and was a
> master.

> The case of the computer was extremely cramped, and at first I thought
> the Zip drive was going to be on the 3" and 5" bus.
> I soon found out otherwise, when I realised that the IDE cable for these
> two drives was not of the same connector type.
> (Too few pins).

> I finally set the zip drive up as a slave on the CDROM drive and it
> works fine.  However, the 3" and the 5" do not work now.
> They get power and run constantly, but the computer does not recognize
> them.

> Can someone point me in the direction of a FAQ or help me trouble shoot
> this?

> My email is:

> Cut out the nonsense to reply.

> Thank you.

> James Bukovsan

3" 5" Disk drives are not being recognized after installing Zip drive

Post by John E Freema » Mon, 25 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Just a guess here, did you per chance loosen the connectors to the
floppy drives, make shure that the ribbon cable is seated firmly on both
ends.
John