Please Help -- Firewire HD problem

Post by Dave Nar » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 03:50:47

Hello,

Recently got an external firewire HD as a gift. It's in a Clearlight
2.5 enclosure and is a 40gb Travelstart laptop hard drive.  I tried it
in both USB and Firewire modes, same result.

It shows up fine in device manager, no exclamation points or anything.
Shows up fine in the taskbar to eject "OXFORD IDE Device LUN 0 IEEE
1394 SBP2 Device"...The blue light on the drive turns on and
everything nad I'd updated all my drivers.

My problem is that i can't access that hard drive. It doesnt show up
in my computer, or network places, or anywhere. I can't for the life
of me figure out what I'm doing wrong. Tried it on two computers with
the same result.

Anyone have ANY suggestions? Would be much appreciated.

Thanks
Dave Nard

Please Help -- Firewire HD problem

Post by Dave Nar » Fri, 20 Jun 2003 04:43:31

My friend who gave me this portable drive said he used it only on
macintosh computers. Could this have something to do with it? If so,
is there a way I can access the hard drive long enough to format it
for PC use?

Thanks
David Nard

Please Help -- Firewire HD problem

Post by Chris Laarma » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 08:54:21

Quote:> My friend who gave me this portable drive said he used it only on
> macintosh computers. Could this have something to do with it? If so,
> is there a way I can access the hard drive long enough to format it
> for PC use?

I am using two external 2.5" hard disk drives with my notebook running
Windows ME: a USB v1 one and a FireWire one. (One was new, the other may
have been second-hand.)
In both cases they could not be partitioned or formatted while in their
cases, they did not need to, and the partitioning became inconsistent when I
managed to do so otherwise.

No installation of drivers was needed, apart from Wndows retrieving its own.

By the way: I find USB v1 too slow for comfortable use, but it is alright
for occasional acess. FireWire is alright for normal use, but it is even
slower than the hard disk in my notebook. So don't plan it to record
video...

That is all I can say about this...

--
Chris Laarman
(Amsterdam, NL)

Post by Jeff Jon » Sat, 21 Jun 2003 13:10:13

Quote:>> My friend who gave me this portable drive said he used it only on
>> macintosh computers. Could this have something to do with it?

I'm yet to find a clear description on what makes external devices Mac or PC only.
I know that Apple Imagewriters were Apple specific but despite the Appletalk interface,
what else was different?

Similarly with disks, I'm not sure of the differences.
I have no firewire but my USB Apple Superdisk works on a PC running Windows or Linux.

Quote:>By the way: I find USB v1 too slow for comfortable use, but it is alright
>for occasional acess. FireWire is alright for normal use ...

On the raw speeds, USB 2.0 is 480 Mbps, firewire's 400.
As to the difference in protocols and driver stability, I cannot comment.