Heat problem in stacking 2 HDD drives in a case ?

Heat problem in stacking 2 HDD drives in a case ?

Post by Dirk Pusli » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 01:29:19



Hi folks.  Question for you:

I am building a system in an Antec Lanboy case and have two Seagate
Barracuda 7200rpm Serial-ATA hard drives.  There are only two 3.5"
slots available so I must have the drives one on top of the other with
only 2 or 3 millimeters between them.

Air circulation in the case is okay with one fan in the bottom front
pulling air in, then 2 fans on the power supply - one sucking air into
the PS and one more fan blowing it out the back.  But no fans blowing
on the drives.

I am concered about heat.  Are the drives designed for this type of
config?  I am going to stripe them RAID 0 so them will both be working
if that matters.  The drive specs just say to leave 0.75 millimeters
around each surface of the drive so that is okay, and they say they
can operate up to 60 degrees celsius, but I am skeptical.  I also want
the drives to last a long time.

Am I worrrying for nothing?  I know I can get a hard drive cooling kit
or put one in the 5 1/4" bay etc. etc. but I'd rather not resort to
this if the drives will be fine as they currently are. Also, I might
not have a 5 1/4 bay available.

Anyone have any tips or help?  Thanks.

 
 
 

Heat problem in stacking 2 HDD drives in a case ?

Post by Rod Spee » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 02:55:50



Quote:> I am building a system in an Antec Lanboy case and have two
> Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Serial-ATA hard drives.  There
> are only two 3.5" slots available so I must have the drives one
> on top of the other with only 2 or 3 millimeters between them.
> Air circulation in the case is okay with one fan in the
> bottom front pulling air in, then 2 fans on the power
> supply - one sucking air into the PS and one more fan
> blowing it out the back.  But no fans blowing on the drives.
> I am concered about heat.  Are the
> drives designed for this type of config?

That is a situation where Barras particularly can get stinking hot.

Quote:> I am going to stripe them RAID 0 so them will both be working
> if that matters.  The drive specs just say to leave 0.75 millimeters
> around each surface of the drive so that is okay, and they say
> they can operate up to 60 degrees celsius, but I am skeptical.

Well, they will work at that temp, but I
wouldnt run any drive at that temp myself.

Quote:> I also want the drives to last a long time.

I wouldnt run a drive higher than about 40 myself.

Quote:> Am I worrrying for nothing?

Nope.

Quote:> I know I can get a hard drive cooling kit or put one
> in the 5 1/4" bay etc. etc. but I'd rather not resort
> to this if the drives will be fine as they currently
> are. Also, I might not have a 5 1/4 bay available.

You may be able to add a fan that does
move air over the drives in the 3.5" bay stack.

Quote:> Anyone have any tips or help?  Thanks.

Measure the drive temps using SpeedFan.

If the temps are much over 40, see if you
can add a fan to improve the airflow over
the drives. You dont need much to make
a surprising difference to the drive temps.

Another obvious possibility is a new case
which has more 3.5" bays so you can have
a spare slot between the drives etc.

 
 
 

Heat problem in stacking 2 HDD drives in a case ?

Post by Dirk Pusli » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 05:55:16


Thanks for the response.  I decided to go ahead and order an Antec HDC
Hard Drive cooling system for one of the drives.  I'm going to move
one of the Barracudas to the bottom 5 1/4" slot (with the cooler) and
leave the other down below all by it's lonesome where it should be
okay.

The HDC system is pretty cool.  It has 2 variable speed fans, a sensor
for the drive, and an extra sensor for whatever you want, and an LED
readout that alternates between both sensors every 5 seconds and
displays the temp.  The fan increases between 3500rpm and 5000rpm
depending on the sensor reading and alerts you if it hits 45 degrees
or above.  I'll prbobably run the second sensor to to the bottom
(uncooled) drive to read the temp.

I don't want to have my system crash in the middle of a Battlefield
1942 smackdown!

Cheers




> > I am building a system in an Antec Lanboy case and have two
> > Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Serial-ATA hard drives.  There
> > are only two 3.5" slots available so I must have the drives one
> > on top of the other with only 2 or 3 millimeters between them.

> > Air circulation in the case is okay with one fan in the
> > bottom front pulling air in, then 2 fans on the power
> > supply - one sucking air into the PS and one more fan
> > blowing it out the back.  But no fans blowing on the drives.

> > I am concered about heat.  Are the
> > drives designed for this type of config?

> That is a situation where Barras particularly can get stinking hot.

> > I am going to stripe them RAID 0 so them will both be working
> > if that matters.  The drive specs just say to leave 0.75 millimeters
> > around each surface of the drive so that is okay, and they say
> > they can operate up to 60 degrees celsius, but I am skeptical.

> Well, they will work at that temp, but I
> wouldnt run any drive at that temp myself.

> > I also want the drives to last a long time.

> I wouldnt run a drive higher than about 40 myself.

> > Am I worrrying for nothing?

> Nope.

> > I know I can get a hard drive cooling kit or put one
> > in the 5 1/4" bay etc. etc. but I'd rather not resort
> > to this if the drives will be fine as they currently
> > are. Also, I might not have a 5 1/4 bay available.

> You may be able to add a fan that does
> move air over the drives in the 3.5" bay stack.

> > Anyone have any tips or help?  Thanks.

> Measure the drive temps using SpeedFan.

> If the temps are much over 40, see if you
> can add a fan to improve the airflow over
> the drives. You dont need much to make
> a surprising difference to the drive temps.

> Another obvious possibility is a new case
> which has more 3.5" bays so you can have
> a spare slot between the drives etc.

 
 
 

Heat problem in stacking 2 HDD drives in a case ?

Post by Rod Spee » Wed, 18 Jun 2003 06:34:39



Quote:> Thanks for the response.  I decided to go ahead and order
> an Antec HDC Hard Drive cooling system for one of the drives.
> I'm going to move one of the Barracudas to the bottom 5 1/4"
> slot (with the cooler) and leave the other down below all by
> it's lonesome where it should be okay.

Yeah, that should be fine.

You likely wouldnt even need a hard drive cooler kit for
the drive being moved to the 5" bay, just a kit that allows
a 3.5" drive in a 5" bay with no fan may well be enough,
getting the two Barras well physically separated.

Quote:> The HDC system is pretty cool.  It has 2 variable speed fans, a sensor
> for the drive, and an extra sensor for whatever you want, and an LED
> readout that alternates between both sensors every 5 seconds and
> displays the temp.  The fan increases between 3500rpm and 5000rpm
> depending on the sensor reading and alerts you if it hits 45 degrees
> or above.  I'll prbobably run the second sensor to to the bottom
> (uncooled) drive to read the temp.

I'd use SpeedFan to read the SMART temperature myself.

Quote:> I don't want to have my system crash in the
> middle of a Battlefield 1942 smackdown!

Yeah, a meltdown can be a tad of a bad hair day.



> > > I am building a system in an Antec Lanboy case and have two
> > > Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Serial-ATA hard drives.  There
> > > are only two 3.5" slots available so I must have the drives one
> > > on top of the other with only 2 or 3 millimeters between them.

> > > Air circulation in the case is okay with one fan in the
> > > bottom front pulling air in, then 2 fans on the power
> > > supply - one sucking air into the PS and one more fan
> > > blowing it out the back.  But no fans blowing on the drives.

> > > I am concered about heat.  Are the
> > > drives designed for this type of config?

> > That is a situation where Barras particularly can get stinking hot.

> > > I am going to stripe them RAID 0 so them will both be working
> > > if that matters.  The drive specs just say to leave 0.75 millimeters
> > > around each surface of the drive so that is okay, and they say
> > > they can operate up to 60 degrees celsius, but I am skeptical.

> > Well, they will work at that temp, but I
> > wouldnt run any drive at that temp myself.

> > > I also want the drives to last a long time.

> > I wouldnt run a drive higher than about 40 myself.

> > > Am I worrrying for nothing?

> > Nope.

> > > I know I can get a hard drive cooling kit or put one
> > > in the 5 1/4" bay etc. etc. but I'd rather not resort
> > > to this if the drives will be fine as they currently
> > > are. Also, I might not have a 5 1/4 bay available.

> > You may be able to add a fan that does
> > move air over the drives in the 3.5" bay stack.

> > > Anyone have any tips or help?  Thanks.

> > Measure the drive temps using SpeedFan.

> > If the temps are much over 40, see if you
> > can add a fan to improve the airflow over
> > the drives. You dont need much to make
> > a surprising difference to the drive temps.

> > Another obvious possibility is a new case
> > which has more 3.5" bays so you can have
> > a spare slot between the drives etc.

 
 
 

Heat problem in stacking 2 HDD drives in a case ?

Post by Peter da Sil » Thu, 19 Jun 2003 21:43:12




> I am building a system in an Antec Lanboy case and have two Seagate
> Barracuda 7200rpm Serial-ATA hard drives.  There are only two 3.5"
> slots available so I must have the drives one on top of the other with
> only 2 or 3 millimeters between them.

I don't know whether it's still true, but Barracudas have traditionally
been very hot drives with extreme heat dissipation problems. A friend of
mine actually had one catch on fire in a server.

You don't need anything so formal as a "hard drive cooling kit", just get
some airflow between them. I've found CPU fans are just the ticket for
driving a bit of extra air past a drive, you can shroud it and fix it in
place with a bit of double-sided tape offset all the way around the edge.

--
#!/usr/bin/perl

Peter da Silva, just another Perl poseur.