Zip drive - needs head cleaning?

Post by Sammy Finkelm » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 05:31:25

Is there anything to clean a Zip drive (that might have been coated by
magnetic residue from a bad disk)

I suspect that is the problem. It all started after I used a bad disk.
Now while I used it but while I substituted another disk later. I
think the drive its more coated than damaged. Sometimes files that
have difficultly do get read after a long time

I think what it is treating as bad sectors is all toward the end of
the disk.

VCRs and cassette tape recorders have head cleaners and I think also
floippy drives. Is there anything for  ZIP drive?

Also, is there a version of Scandisk or some other program that can be
used?

Zip drive - needs head cleaning?

Post by Chia Ah Tee, Josep » Tue, 03 Jun 2003 10:11:40

Yes, you can get the zip drive cleaner and its solution from a computer stores.
Posted At: Monday, June 02, 2003 9:08 AM
Posted To: periphs
Conversation: Zip drive - needs head cleaning?
Subject: Zip drive - needs head cleaning?

Is there anything to clean a Zip drive (that might have been coated by
magnetic residue from a bad disk)

I suspect that is the problem. It all started after I used a bad disk.
Now while I used it but while I substituted another disk later. I
think the drive its more coated than damaged. Sometimes files that
have difficultly do get read after a long time

I think what it is treating as bad sectors is all toward the end of
the disk.

VCRs and cassette tape recorders have head cleaners and I think also
floippy drives. Is there anything for  ZIP drive?

Also, is there a version of Scandisk or some other program that can be
used?

Zip drive - needs head cleaning?

Post by Sammy Finkelm » Wed, 04 Jun 2003 03:03:26

Quote:> Yes, you can get the zip drive cleaner and its solution from a computer
> stores.

You know, I hadn't thought of asking (because I never saw that by
accident) I tried looking on ebay and din't find anybody offering to
seell anything with the keywords Zip drive cleaner.

Any mail order place (website or telephone number) in case I don't
find this?

Is there any chance that using tyhe disk cleaner could damage the
drive?

Also, is there some kind of scandisk program for 100 megabyte zip
disks?

Post by Sammy Finkelm » Wed, 11 Jun 2003 06:36:36

> Posted At: Monday, June 02, 2003 9:08 AM
> Posted To: periphs
> Conversation: Zip drive - needs head cleaning?
> Subject: Zip drive - needs head cleaning?

> Is there anything to clean a Zip drive (that might have been coated by
> magnetic residue from a bad disk)

> Yes, you can get the zip drive cleaner and its solution from a computer
> stores.

I tried today at A&R Computer on Avenue U in Brooklyhn. They don;t
havw it. Not only they don;t have it, they never heard of anything
like it - or at least the person in the store did not. There was only
the man at the register and the (compuer expert?) on the floor.

1. cleaning heads of tape drive (what is the command?)

I would like to clean the heads of the scsi DAT tape drive i have
attached to a slab.

For reading and writing tapes, i access the drive through /dev/rst0
(and use the tar command).

I've got a `cleaning tape' . . . what command should i use to clean
the drive heads?  (E.g., do i try to write on the tape with some command
like `cat my_file > /dev/rst0'?)

The tape drive is a Python.

Thanks in advance for any pointers, faqs, rtfms, or other info.

dan

2. Writing to an Oracle database

3. Need advice on Epsnon 1200 Head Cleaning

4. Windows CD Database

5. XEROX 4020 - Needs Head Cleaning or Repair - 150.00 ( Repost )

6. Installation Disk Revival

7. HELP: Dropped Iomega Zip Drive while it was running and now disk head is damaged

8. Trade Black Zip Drive for Beige Zip drive

9. Zip drive vs. Zip Plus drive

10. Need to know cyl/head/sector info for CDC drive

11. printer head cleaning

12. Exabyte head cleaning kit