standalone display??

Post by xexe » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 03:19:00

hello board,
                     a good day to each one of you reading this piece.
 please put up with poor semantics.
        my question for an answer is that is it possible to completely
isolate a monitor from its cabinet by means of a wireless connection
or is it that the baud rate required will limit its viability.  and
yeah i am talking of putting in paraphernalia assembled at home.  also
what sort of distortion will i have to put up with?  hope someone of
you has got an answer.  bye and take CARE.ORG.

xexee

standalone display??

Post by Brooks Mose » Fri, 11 Jul 2003 04:33:10

>    my question for an answer is that is it possible to completely
> isolate a monitor from its cabinet by means of a wireless connection
> or is it that the baud rate required will limit its viability.  and
> yeah i am talking of putting in paraphernalia assembled at home.  also
> what sort of distortion will i have to put up with?  hope someone of
> you has got an answer.  bye and take CARE.ORG.

I suspect it depends greatly on the monitor.  My impression -- which may
or may not be accurate -- is that the video signals for current monitors
are getting fairly close to the reasonable limits of _wired_ data
connections, and so wireless is not really at all plausible.

However, this assumes that the situation is such that the video signal
is generated (by a video card) on the "computer" end of things, and so
that large stream of information (1280 by 1024 pixels by 75 frames per
second) has to travel across the connection between the computer and the
monitor.

A much more feasible solution is to put the electronics for generating
the video signal on the "monitor" end of things, so that what's sent
across the connection is merely information about what parts of the
image have changed, rather than the full video feed.  And so that it
doesn't have to be sent at the video refresh rate -- for most situations
other than movies or games, a little delay is ok.

Probably the best way to do this at home is to start with two computers.
  One of them is the computer that you want to use (call this the
"server"); the other will become part of the "monitor" (call it the
"terminal").  Put wireless network cards in them so that they can talk
to each other, and plug the monitor into the terminal.  After this, the
rest is software; you set up a program such that the server sends its
screen information to the terminal, and then the terminal displays it on
the monitor.  The XWindows protocol (part of most Unix and Linux
installations) is probably a good place to start, as it can already
handle most of this quite nicely, and it's open-source so you can hack
it to adjust for the case of having the keyboard on one computer and the
monitor on another.

Alternately, I would guess that there are wireless solutions available
for television over short distances, so quite possibly you could do
something with a S-Video out on your "server" computer, and run that
over wireless to a television.  You only get about 320x200 resolution
(ok, maybe a little better) and it's generally fuzzy, but it's something.

- Brooks

1. LCD Standalone Displays

hi

i have been asked by some friend artist to find a smart solution for the
following problem:

we have to calculate costs for an installation in a building, consisting of
about 50 (!) relatively small LCD Displays (e.g. 20 x 13 cm) mounted to the
walls. these displays will have to show changing pictures (e.g. at 550 x 370
pixel / 72 dpi / true color) at certain intervals (minutes or so), ideally
feed to them from one single computer over some possibly low cost network and
then stored right in the display until the next image is sent, so the sender
computer can be used for other stuff like recieving and storing new images
from some remote source...

does anyone know about some of-the-shelve LCD systems or components with which
this could be done?

thank you for your hint

mv

2. Spamproof headers in Yarn?

3. calling c++ library fns. from C . How ?

4. Display(Monitor) and Display Adapter conflicts

5. Make $$$

6. Question about Display for progressive JPEG display

7. Q: About outgoing-only public phone

8. TVIM display routine on 24-bit displays

9. dflo/dg compiler graph display/data flow equation display tool

10. Expanded display (\x) seems to affect display of latin1 chars

11. Force display mirror driver to load after real display drivers

12. GSPS: Display Area behaviour when creating and/or displaying presentation states