alias to in-addr.arpa when doing nslookup

alias to in-addr.arpa when doing nslookup

Post by uber.. » Wed, 17 Jan 2001 16:05:04

Hi list,

got something that's been bugging me for awhile, don't know what I did
wrong, but here goes.

Here is the output from a standard nslookup from my primary nameserver.

Default Server:  ns1.MY-DOMAIN.COM
Address:  XXX.XXX.1.158
Aliases:  158.1.XXX.XXX.in-addr.arpa

The output is the same from my secondary server, why the reference to
aliases? what did I do to cause the aliases output? Its just an
annoyance, but it IS an annoyance.

Thanks for the help,

~duane

Sent via Deja.com
http://www.deja.com/

alias to in-addr.arpa when doing nslookup

Post by Mark.Andr.. » Wed, 17 Jan 2001 16:27:24

        You have classless in-addr.arpa implemented.
        You have done nothing wrong.

        Mark

--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.

1. 127.IN-ADDR.ARPA or 0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA

When configuring the name servers under my care, I have for years put
a zone at 127.IN-ADDR.ARPA, on the grounds that this was a class A
network.  I have not bothered putting any records at levels between
here and 1.0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA.

Having recently done a zone transfer of the ARPA zone (okay, so I was
curious) I discovered that my main server had inherited an NS record
at 0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA pointing to one of the root name servers
(presumably the one which gave me ARPA).  This also meant my own
record for 1.0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA was never visible.

Questions:

Should my own zone be at 0.0.127.IN-ADDR.ARPA, or was I right all
along?

Does it really matter?

Is this yet another reason to leave the root-administered zones alone?

I know it's not nice to do zone transfers on big zones, but it shouldn't
cause things to break now, should it?...

Restarting my server (without ARPA) has cured the symptom, but it
looks to me like a problem waiting to recur.

I suppose these bonus records are a matter of `BIND does it again'?

-- Christopher

2. Help with research

3. weird in-addr.arpa alias on reverse lookups

4. NIC questions.

5. IN-ADDR.ARPA bug?

6. "engineer" in user name

7. NetWare 5 DNS, creating an in-addr.arpa zone

8. Installing WFW under OS/2 Project?

9. what's IP address 1.0.0.127.in-addr.arpa

10. nsupdate 250.150.168.192.in-addr.arpa

11. RFC 2317 technique for in-addr.arpa. delegation

12. Delegating in-addr.arpa

13. help with in-addr.arpa