Why I get so many notify information,If I'm not the slave of that zone?

Why I get so many notify information,If I'm not the slave of that zone?

Post by David Xi » Wed, 29 May 2002 02:42:08

Recently I find many notify information in my bindlog.
Many zone send notify information to my server.
But I found some of zone is not delegated to me.
Why I get so many information if they are not server by me!(I am not
the slave of that zones)

If some DNS server setup that by wrong,how can I trace who is the
wrong doer?

Or if it is some kind of attack,how can I avoid that?

Why I get so many notify information,If I'm not the slave of that zone?

Post by those who know me have no need of my nam » Thu, 30 May 2002 02:52:29

Quote:>Recently I find many notify information in my bindlog.
>Many zone send notify information to my server.
>If some DNS server setup that by wrong,how can I trace who is the
>wrong doer?

the sender of the notify.

Quote:>Or if it is some kind of attack,how can I avoid that?

if you aren't configured as a slave for the zone bind will just discard the
notify, so the main attacks would be a dos via number of packets per second
or log file partition exhaustion.  how many notifies per second are you
getting, on what kind of system?

1. NOTIFY Failed: Not Authoritative for notify zone

I've setup a Split DNS server on Redhat Linux 7.1 which is running 2
daemons (internal & external servers ). Everytime I start the BIND
services, the daemons start up & run successfully, but there is always
this message which often gets repeated in the logs:

notify failed: not authoritative for notify zone (REFUSED)

What is the reason for this happening ?

My internal DNS server is serving 4 zones ( 2 private zones & 2 pubic
zones ) while the external DNS server is serving 2 public zones (same as
the ones served by the inetrnal DNS server). So effectively both DNS
servers are masters for the 2 common zones. For the 2 common zones, the
zone files for internal server contains address entries with regards to
internal IP addresses while that for the external server contain
global/public IP addresses.

Any solution/suggestions in this regard is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Ashwin.

2. AS/400 and SNA over HP 100VG AnyLAN

3. Slave Zone not getting SRV records from Master

4. COM vs Corba

5. NOTIFY-triggered Auto-slaving (was Re: how to list ALL zones of my master server)

6. Application integration comparison

7. screensaver setting

8. I Seem not to be Notifying my Slaves.

9. Bind 9.0.1 not NOTIFYing slave?

10. slave to slave zone transfers HOWTO?

11. slave to slave zone transfer