rndc and mrtg question

Post by Daniel Holde » Sun, 17 Feb 2002 05:30:44

Hi
    I'm using Bind 9.2.0 on Redhat 7.2 and am trying to get stats for DNS so
MRTG can read them.  The new rndc keeps asking for a key.  How can I
generate a key to use in my /etc/rndc.conf file?

Daniel Holden

http://www.idsb.net

rndc and mrtg question

Post by p.. » Sun, 17 Feb 2002 06:20:19

> Hi
>     I'm using Bind 9.2.0 on Redhat 7.2 and am trying to get stats for DNS so
> MRTG can read them.  The new rndc keeps asking for a key.  How can I
> generate a key to use in my /etc/rndc.conf file?

Have you tried reading the documentation ??

There is a chapter with this , including a snippet about "rndc-confgen"

There exists numerous places that even have brought bind-9's
documentation to webservers, look at :
"http://www.ipsec.nu/dns/bind9/Bv9ARM.ch06.html#controls_statement_def..."
for a chapter about this.

--
Peter H?kanson
        IPSec  Sverige      (At the Riverside of Gothenburg, home of Volvo)

1. rndc.conf, rndc.key, and chroot

I've got a bind 9.2 server running in a chroot but I'm having issues with
the rndc command.  I can successfully shut down the server, get status,
etc., but when I try and reload the server, I get the following:

Jan  7 16:39:32 dns1 named[25280]: [ID 866145 daemon.error]
/etc/named.conf:15: open: /etc/rndc.key: permission denied
Jan  7 16:39:32 dns1 named[25280]: [ID 866145 daemon.error] reloading
configuration failed: permission denied

I initially had the key "rndc-key" statement in my /etc/named.conf, so I put
a chmod 640 on the file so it wasn't world readable.  I got the above error
so I put the key statement in a rndc.key file and included that in the
/etc/named.conf and then made the rndc.key file chmod 640, but the same
thing happens.

Does anyone have the correct way of permissioning these files in a chroot
environment so the rndc works?

Thanks

2. new Epson 870 not print until several cleanings

3. Can't get rndc working - rndc: connect: connection refused

4. New Printer...

5. newbie MRTG question : how to add mib to MRTG ?

6. Wanted an economical DSP C compiler.

7. question regarding localhost and rndc.conf

8. dvips5.47 + VMS 6.0 = problems

9. question re rndc

10. rndc reconfig question.

11. another rndc question