nslookup IPADDRESS works; nslookup HOSTNAME fails

nslookup IPADDRESS works; nslookup HOSTNAME fails

Post by Steve Jone » Thu, 17 Apr 2003 02:00:15

Hello,

I have a linux box that provides DNS services for a small company.  All name
resolution works for external computers, but I can't resolve internal names.
I can resolve by IP address.

Any ideas?

Thanks.

Steve

[root /root]# nslookup work9
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

*** localhost can't find work9: Non-existent host/domain
[root /root]# nslookup work9.
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

*** localhost can't find work9.: Non-existent host/domain
[root /root]# nslookup work9.mydomain.net
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

*** localhost can't find work9.mydomain.net: Non-existent host/domain

[root /root]# nslookup 10.0.4.9
Server:  localhost
Address:  127.0.0.1

Name:    work9.mydomain.net
Address:  10.0.4.9

Post by Barry Margoli » Thu, 17 Apr 2003 06:21:56

>I have a linux box that provides DNS services for a small company.  All name
>resolution works for external computers, but I can't resolve internal names.
>I can resolve by IP address.

>Any ideas?

Your forward domain is messed up, but your reverse domain is OK.

Without seeing the configuration files there's no way to tell specifically
what's wrong.  Also, it would probably be better if you used dig rather
than nslookup, since it provides more detailed status information.

Quote:>[root /root]# nslookup work9
>Server:  localhost
>Address:  127.0.0.1

>*** localhost can't find work9: Non-existent host/domain
>[root /root]# nslookup work9.
>Server:  localhost
>Address:  127.0.0.1

>*** localhost can't find work9.: Non-existent host/domain

I hope you didn't expect that one to work.  The "." means to look in the
root domain, rather than appending any default domains from the search
list.

Quote:>[root /root]# nslookup work9.mydomain.net

--

Genuity Managed Services, a Level(3) Company, Woburn, MA

1. dig works, but nslookup fails?

I can resolve both of those using nslookup (the first time I queried
www.pharmweb.net, the query timed out, but the answer must have made it late back
to the local nameserver, since it was in cache when I queried it a few seconds
later).

What does nslookup's debug mode tell you? Are the queries just timing out? Maybe
the only difference is in the timeout settings for DiG versus nslookup...

- Kevin

2. 2 more gas explosions

3. nslookup works locally, fails remotely

4. Q: envelope style

5. nslookup'd bogus hostnames keep adding to cache

6. Problem with bootp and compression

7. nslookup or netscape can't resolve this hostname ?

8. SAS/SHARE and Novell

9. nslookup is work but dig is not work.

10. server fails on remote nslookup

11. Dig, nslookup fail when referencing other server

12. nslookup fails after a time