Is this a dns issue or a sendmail issue

Is this a dns issue or a sendmail issue

Post by Aiden Taher » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 05:13:40



       I am running redhat 6.2 with sendmail 8.9.3
220 tua.cc ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.3/8.9.3; Tue, 10 Apr 2001 09:42:03 -0700
Have the following 3 problems

1.   when checking messages,  or sending messages it takes about 20 seconds
for any process to be executed. When I telnet on port 25 I get:
220 tua.cc ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.3/8.9.3; Tue, 10 Apr 2001 09:42:03 -0700
about 20 seconds later
    The hardware is adaquate, the connection is cablemodem to cablemodem,
this problem exists to both my inside users and ouside users (firewall)

2.  I recieve some mail but others bounds, for example I send and email to


"unknown host."   The DNS servers is also running on the same machine, the
DNS seems to be working properly, but I am not an expert on DNS.





maillog file and have not seen any errors, of course I am not sendmail
expert either

Is there a DNS setting I am missing?
My current settings are

tua.cc.      MX   5     tua.cc.
tua.cc.      IN     A    tua.cc.
can someone run some checks and make, since I am no DNS expert, to see if I
can rule out DNS, this would help focus my attention towards only one
possibility rather than two.
Your help would be greatly appreciated,
Aiden

 
 
 

Is this a dns issue or a sendmail issue

Post by Kevin Darc » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 06:07:53


Both of the delegated nameservers for tua.cc (ns1.tua.cc and ns2.tua.cc) answer
SERVFAIL (server failure) for an NS query of tua.cc, as does the machine
"tua.cc" itself. tua.cc however, *does* answer an NS query of ns1.tua.cc or
ns2.tua.cc correctly, which implies that your zonefile is messed up, i.e. you
accidentally delegated "ns1.tua.cc" and "ns2.tua.cc" as child zones instead of
listing them as nameservers for tua.cc.

Perhaps it would help if you posted the entire zonefile.

Frankly, I'm surprised BIND even accepted a zonefile without any zone-top
NS records. What version of BIND are you running on these boxes anyway?
version.bind doesn't return anything from tua.cc, so I'm suspecting a really
*old* version of BIND or a non-BIND nameserver.

(And if version.bind is truthful for ns1.tua.cc and/or ns2.tua.cc, you need to
upgrade to BIND 8.2.3 *IMMEDIATELY* for security reasons).

- Kevin


>        I am running redhat 6.2 with sendmail 8.9.3
> 220 tua.cc ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.3/8.9.3; Tue, 10 Apr 2001 09:42:03 -0700
> Have the following 3 problems

> 1.   when checking messages,  or sending messages it takes about 20 seconds
> for any process to be executed. When I telnet on port 25 I get:
> 220 tua.cc ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.3/8.9.3; Tue, 10 Apr 2001 09:42:03 -0700
> about 20 seconds later
>     The hardware is adaquate, the connection is cablemodem to cablemodem,
> this problem exists to both my inside users and ouside users (firewall)

> 2.  I recieve some mail but others bounds, for example I send and email to


> "unknown host."   The DNS servers is also running on the same machine, the
> DNS seems to be working properly, but I am not an expert on DNS.





> maillog file and have not seen any errors, of course I am not sendmail
> expert either

> Is there a DNS setting I am missing?
> My current settings are

> tua.cc.      MX   5     tua.cc.
> tua.cc.      IN     A    tua.cc.
> can someone run some checks and make, since I am no DNS expert, to see if I
> can rule out DNS, this would help focus my attention towards only one
> possibility rather than two.
> Your help would be greatly appreciated,
> Aiden


 
 
 

Is this a dns issue or a sendmail issue

Post by HAG.Keij.. » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 20:12:09


Quote:> My current settings are

> tua.cc.      MX   5     tua.cc.
> tua.cc.      IN     A    tua.cc.

Didn't know a recursive A record is valid?
shouldn't there be an Ip-address?

G.

 
 
 

Is this a dns issue or a sendmail issue

Post by Len Conra » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 20:27:24


Quote:> > My current settings are

> > tua.cc.      MX   5     tua.cc.
> > tua.cc.      IN     A    tua.cc.

>Didn't know a recursive A record

recursive A record ???  which RFC is that ?

Quote:>is valid? shouldn't there be an Ip-address?

yes, of course.   I call this "collateral damage" from the CNAME mindset.  :)))

Len

http://MenAndMice.com/DNS-training Austin,TX: 23,24/04; SFO,CA:
7,8/05
http://BIND8NT.MEIway.com : ISC BIND 8.2.3 "NT3" for NT4 & W2K
http://IMGate.MEIway.com  : Build free, hi-perf, anti-abuse mail gateways

 
 
 

Is this a dns issue or a sendmail issue

Post by Razvan Brum » Thu, 12 Apr 2001 20:42:53



Quote:

> > My current settings are

> > tua.cc.      MX   5     tua.cc.
> > tua.cc.      IN     A    tua.cc.

> Didn't know a recursive A record is valid?
> shouldn't there be an Ip-address?

> G.

        Yes it should. And that has nothing to do with recursion. The data
in an A RR MUST be a 32 bit quantity which represents an Internet
address. The above record says that the ip address of tua.cc is
... tua.cc.

---
Razvan Bruma
Unix System Administrator

 
 
 

Is this a dns issue or a sendmail issue

Post by Brad Knowle » Fri, 13 Apr 2001 05:17:12



Quote:>  1.   when checking messages,  or sending messages it takes about 20 seconds
>  for any process to be executed. When I telnet on port 25 I get:
>  220 tua.cc ESMTP Sendmail 8.9.3/8.9.3; Tue, 10 Apr 2001 09:42:03 -0700
>  about 20 seconds later
>      The hardware is adaquate, the connection is cablemodem to cablemodem,
>  this problem exists to both my inside users and ouside users (firewall)

        See <http://www.sendmail.org/faq/section3.html#3.12>.

>  2.  I recieve some mail but others bounds, for example I send and email to


>  "unknown host."   The DNS servers is also running on the same machine, the
>  DNS seems to be working properly, but I am not an expert on DNS.

        This may be a sendmail problem or it might be a DNS problem.
Show us a complete sample bounce, and we might be able to help you
figure out which.





>  maillog file and have not seen any errors, of course I am not sendmail
>  expert either

        This is almost certainly a sendmail issue.  I suggest that you
post your questions on this matter to the comp.mail.sendmail
newsgroup.

--


/*       Represented as 1045 digit prime number by Phil Carmody         */
/*     Prime as DNS cname chain by Roy Arends and Walter Belgers        */
/*                                                                      */
/*     Usage is:  cat title-key scrambled.vob | efdtt >clear.vob        */
/*   where title-key = "153 2 8 105 225" or other similar 5-byte key    */

dig decss.friet.org|perl -ne'if(/^x/){s/[x.]//g;print pack(H124,$_)}'

 
 
 

Is this a dns issue or a sendmail issue

Post by Kevin Darc » Fri, 13 Apr 2001 05:31:08


ns1.tua.cc and ns2.tua.cc (same machine -- *, naugthy) are still
returning SERVFAIL for an NS query of tua.cc. So you're still broken.

What does your *entire* zonefile look like?

- Kevin


> My fault, I had a typo

> my settings are

> tua.cc.   IN   MX 5 tua.cc.
> tua.cc.   IN    A    207.202.218.95

> I had another reply, saying my tcp/udp port 53 is blocked (there is a
> firewall on this machine) but I am fairly certain I opened this port both
> tcp and udp. Can you do a checkup, much would be appreciated, I have been
> trying to resolve these issues for about 3 months now................

> ~Aiden
> PS  please post this on the newsgroup or email me at a temp account:


 
 
 

Is this a dns issue or a sendmail issue

Post by Mark.Andr.. » Fri, 13 Apr 2001 08:19:03


Quote:> My fault, I had a typo

> my settings are

> tua.cc.   IN   MX 5 tua.cc.
> tua.cc.   IN    A    207.202.218.95

> I had another reply, saying my tcp/udp port 53 is blocked (there is a
> firewall on this machine) but I am fairly certain I opened this port both
> tcp and udp. Can you do a checkup, much would be appreciated, I have been
> trying to resolve these issues for about 3 months now................

        I posted this last night.

        1. Upgrade your nameservers as you are runing a vulnerable version.
           It's only a matter of time before your machine is taken over.

        2. Read your error logs as they will have been screaming at you
           every time you loaded the server.  At the very least you don't
           have any NS records for the zone in the zone file.

        3. multiple nameservers are for redunacy. There is no redunancy
           when they are both the same machine.

;; ANSWER SECTION:
tua.cc.                 55m44s IN NS    ns1.tua.cc.
tua.cc.                 55m44s IN NS    ns2.tua.cc.

;; ADDITIONAL SECTION:
ns1.tua.cc.             55m44s IN A     207.202.218.95
ns2.tua.cc.             55m44s IN A     207.202.218.95

        Mark

> ~Aiden
> PS  please post this on the newsgroup or email me at a temp account:


--
Mark Andrews, Nominum Inc.
1 Seymour St., Dundas Valley, NSW 2117, Australia

 
 
 

1. Strange dns issue with sendmail - Any opinions?

Hello everyone,

 I have this set-up

 /etc/hosts
 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
 10.3.2.7       myname  loghost

 /etc/resolv.conf
 search fips.com
 nameserver 212.198.0.66

 sendmail works fine.

 But if I put yahoo.com or lycos.com instead of fips.com
 sendmail doesnt work.

 I am trying to understand how does it work?
 What are the different possibilities for setting up those files?
 How come some fqdn (like fips.com) work and
 other fqdn (like lycos.com or yahoo.com) don't ?

The problem is a little bit more complicated.
I found this fips.com just by chance.
My ISP is easynet.fr, so that should be my domain name,but it doesn't work.
I tried adsl.easynet.fr - doesn't work either.
yahoo.com is a fqdn, because there are www.yahoo.com news.yahoo.com
mail.yahoo.com.
But it doesn't work with me.
fips.com and free.fr work
noos.fr doesn't work either.
I can't test them all,but it's a dns problem or some kind of dns restriction
on different servers?

Cordially
Ken

2. errorcode 68 on canon lbp-8 III +

3. dns or sendmail issue ?? resolv.conf,/etc/hosts

4. Do templates and friends mix ?

5. Ameritech DSL, sendmail, and pppoe issues

6. Empire

7. IP address changing; any sendmail issues?

8. ExtractIcon for .NET ?

9. Staff Manager's Issues Report on Privacy Issues Related to Whois

10. not a cable modem issue but rather primary ID issue with ATTBI

11. Proposed Resolution to LLMNR Issue 37: Conflict Detection Issues

12. LLMNR Issue 33 [Was: Re: Revision to resolution of Issue 28]

13. Flow Control issues !! ( FTP put not working issue )