dig works, but nslookup fails?

Post by Kevin Darc » Wed, 02 Feb 2000 04:00:00

> I currently have BIND 4.9.4, and will be upgrading, almost immediately, however
> I have a question.

> My current server fails with nslookup on some sites, so I downloaded dig. About
> time you say. I agree!

> Question: My nslookup fails, but DIG resolves the site:

> Example sites I'm having trouble with are:

> www.go-fly.com
> www.pharmweb.net

> Is the resolver the problem causing nslookup and the named server to fail? I
> have read that DIG uses other resources for its resovler. Is this true?

> If that's the case, can I simple upgrade my resolver somehow?

I can resolve both of those using nslookup (the first time I queried
www.pharmweb.net, the query timed out, but the answer must have made it late back
to the local nameserver, since it was in cache when I queried it a few seconds
later).

What does nslookup's debug mode tell you? Are the queries just timing out? Maybe
the only difference is in the timeout settings for DiG versus nslookup...

- Kevin

dig works, but nslookup fails?

Post by pwo.. » Thu, 03 Feb 2000 04:00:00

Here are the two results:

Quote:> www.go-fly.com.

Server:  qthvs5.qthv.quintiles.com
Address:  10.xx.xx.xx

;; res_mkquery(0, www.go-fly.com, 1, 1)
timeout (5 secs)
timeout (10 secs)
timeout (20 secs)
------------
Got answer:
    HEADER:
        opcode = QUERY, id = 40100, rcode = SERVFAIL
        header flags:  response, want recursion, recursion avail.
        questions = 1,  answers = 0,  authority records = 0,  additional = 0

    QUESTIONS:
        www.go-fly.com, type = A, class = IN

------------
*** qthvs5.qthv.quintiles.com can't find www.go-fly.com.: Server failed

And now for DIG:

; <<>> DiG 2.0 <<>> www.go-fly.com.
;; ->>HEADER<<- opcode: QUERY , status: NOERROR, id: 7
;; flags: qr rd ra ; Ques: 1, Ans: 1, Auth: 2, Addit: 2
;; QUESTIONS:
;;      www.go-fly.com, type = A, class = IN

;; ANSWERS:
www.go-fly.com. 86061   A       62.172.48.2

;; AUTHORITY RECORDS:
GO-FLY.com.     172461  NS      NS0.BT.NET.
GO-FLY.com.     172461  NS      NS1.BT.NET.

;; ADDITIONAL RECORDS:
NS0.BT.NET.     140779  A       194.72.6.51
NS1.BT.NET.     140779  A       194.72.6.52

;; Sent 2 pkts, answer found in time: 188 msec
;; FROM: qthvs5 to SERVER: default -- 10.52.51.51
;; WHEN: Wed Feb  2 08:14:16 2000
;; MSG SIZE  sent: 32  rcvd: 132

I understand SERVFAIL, here's a cut and paste from Barry Margolin:

SERVFAIL means that the server isn't able to answer properly for some
reason.  It can come from a caching server if it didn't get an answer from
any of the servers that the domain is delegated to.  It can also come from
a server if it notices that the domain is delegated to itself, but it
doesn't have the zone loaded and the answer isn't in its cache.

What I'm not sure about is the resolver issue. Obviously, the server NS0.BT.NET.
is resovling correctly, but only to DIG. Therefore, there must be difference
between 'nslookup'  and 'dig'. ( Oh really!). I have read that 'dig' uses a
different resolver resource. Could this be the answer?

Is it possible to upgrade resolvers separately, or only by upgrading the BIND
can you upgrade the resolver?

Cheers.

 cc:      (bcc: Philip Wolfe/QRED/Quintiles)

 Subject: Re: dig works, but nslookup fails?

> I currently have BIND 4.9.4, and will be upgrading, almost immediately,
however
> I have a question.

> My current server fails with nslookup on some sites, so I downloaded dig.
About
> time you say. I agree!

> Question: My nslookup fails, but DIG resolves the site:

> Example sites I'm having trouble with are:

> www.go-fly.com
> www.pharmweb.net

> Is the resolver the problem causing nslookup and the named server to fail? I
> have read that DIG uses other resources for its resovler. Is this true?

> If that's the case, can I simple upgrade my resolver somehow?

I can resolve both of those using nslookup (the first time I queried
www.pharmweb.net, the query timed out, but the answer must have made it late
back
to the local nameserver, since it was in cache when I queried it a few seconds
later).

What does nslookup's debug mode tell you? Are the queries just timing out? Maybe
the only difference is in the timeout settings for DiG versus nslookup...

- Kevin

1. nslookup is work but dig is not work.

Hi all!
I am managing DNS on Solaris.
By the way,
When I do nslookup command on my network (203.248.240.x), it work.

Default Server:  ns.pubnetplus.ne.kr
Address:  210.220.16.7

Server:  ns.pubnetplus.ne.kr
Address:  210.220.16.7

Non-authoritative answer:
Name:    www.cisco.com
Address:  198.133.219.25

But when I do dig command on my same network, it not work.

; (1 server found)
;; res_nsend to server ns.pubnetplus.ne.kr  210.220.16.7: Connection timed out

What is difference of these commands?
Why does not dig command work?

==========================
?T
??3Y ???o?o? o??3Y ?????
?o1
TEL : +82 2 2220-7419
FAX : +82 2 2220-7429

2. Convert 24 bit Bitmap

3. nslookup IPADDRESS works; nslookup HOSTNAME fails

4. FS: Atari tapes @ 50p each

5. Dig, nslookup fail when referencing other server

6. Auto-ID: Tracking Everything, Everywhere

7. Nslookup returns "no answer" but dig works?!

8. nslookup works, dig and host don't

9. dig hostname.domain works, dig hostname doesn't

10. nslookup works locally, fails remotely

11. nslookup vs. dig?!

12. nslookup or dig binary for NT.