DDNS-DHCP [2]: Allow for other identifying data in the DHCID RR?

DDNS-DHCP [2]: Allow for other identifying data in the DHCID RR?

Post by Ralph Drom » Fri, 04 Jul 2003 01:42:50

Summary of discussion of this issue:

Several respondents noted that this issue is essentially
the same as "DDNS-DHCP [1]: Use DHCID RR just for DHCP
or extend for other update mechanisms?"  I've summarized
the responses to both issues here.

There were three responses to the effect that the DHCID
RR should be reserved for DHCP.  No other uses for the
DHCID RR have been identified either in discussion (with
the exception of one mention of PPP) or
in deployment of the DDNS-DHCP interaction mechanism.
Adding the capability in anticipation of future,
as-yet-undefined protocols would add complexity with
little or no added value.

Quote:>DDNS-DHCP issue:

>    The DHCID RR data consists of a type code and a hash
>    of the identifier of the updater of the record.  Should
>    it be generalized (perhaps as a side effect of generalizing
>    the use of the DHCID RR to other types of resolution)
>    to a type code and type-specific data?  That is, should
>    the DHCID RR allow for other forms of data in addition
>    to a 16-byte MD5 hash value to be stored with the type code?

1. DDNS-DHCP [2]: Allow for other identifying data in the DHCID RR?

DDNS-DHCP issue:

   The DHCID RR data consists of a type code and a hash
   of the identifier of the updater of the record.  Should
   it be generalized (perhaps as a side effect of generalizing
   the use of the DHCID RR to other types of resolution)
   to a type code and type-specific data?  That is, should
   the DHCID RR allow for other forms of data in addition
   to a 16-byte MD5 hash value to be stored with the type code?

2. Account configuration

3. DDNS-DHCP [1]: Use DHCID RR just for DHCP or extend for other update mechanisms?

4. Multiproxy <--> ZAP<--> Linksys <--> DSL???

5. DDNS-DHCP [5]: IDN in DDNS-DHCP docs

6. Strange problem with translate (PostScript)

7. IDN future (Was: DDNS-DHCP [5]: IDN in DDNS-DHCP docs

8. DDNS-DHCP [5]: IDN in DDNS-DHCP docs

9. DDNS-DHCP [6]: Relationship between DNS TTL and DHCP lease length

10. DDNS-DHCP [4]: 12 bit RCODEs in DHCP FQDN option