Dynamic IP problem, Granite Canyon <-> dyndns.org

Dynamic IP problem, Granite Canyon <-> dyndns.org

Post by Brad Moor » Fri, 05 May 2000 04:00:00

I have a dynamic Ip which I have setup at dyndns.org.
That seems to work OK, but I also wanted to use Granite Canyon's Public
DNS
so that my domain name will map to my dynamic host name.
I set everything up 4 days ago, but still cant access using my domain
name.

I have setup my records as the example suggests, and
my domain does not show in the rejects list.

Do I need to specify an A record, other than the localhost?
Or should I be able to just have the CNAME record to map to the dynamic
IP?

My records are as below.
====================================

biscaynes.com.  IN  NS ns1.granitecanyon.com.
biscaynes.com.  IN  NS ns2.granitecanyon.com.

biscaynes.com.  IN  RP bradisnever.home.com. Brad.Moore.biscaynes.com.

Brad.Moore.biscaynes.com.    IN  TXT "Brad Moore,    NIC handle:
BM16094"

localhost.biscaynes.com.   IN  A  127.0.0.1

www.biscaynes.com. IN CNAME  biscaynes.homeip.net. ;EXTREF

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Post by Barry Margoli » Fri, 05 May 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>I have a dynamic Ip which I have setup at dyndns.org.
>That seems to work OK, but I also wanted to use Granite Canyon's Public
>DNS
>so that my domain name will map to my dynamic host name.
>I set everything up 4 days ago, but still cant access using my domain
>name.

>I have setup my records as the example suggests, and
>my domain does not show in the rejects list.

Your domain doesn't seem to be installed on GC's servers.  Did you get the
confirmation mail and forward it back to them like you're supposed to?

Quote:>Do I need to specify an A record, other than the localhost?
>Or should I be able to just have the CNAME record to map to the dynamic
>IP?

If you could specify an A record, you wouldn't be using dyndns.org, would
you?  What you posted looks correct.  Assuming you forwarded the
confirmation mail back properly, you seem to be suffering from the same
problem as many Granite Canyon users: their servers have been messed up all
week.  Haven't you noticed all the messages about this in this newsgroup
and comp.protocols.tcp-ip.domains?

--

Genuity, Burlington, MA

1. >>>>>>>A Conspiracy?<<<<<<<

I have suspected some noise problems on my line as well, but without
any hard evidence as of yet; I have, simply, not exhausted every
effort to do so at this time.  However, in my endeavor to find some
valid answers to my particular modem problems, I have been given some
very thought provoking responses by other folks online and various
modem manufacturers.  Most of today's modems have been designed to
work on "voice" grade phone lines.  Yet, when you call the phone
companies about the expected quality of your phone line, they simply
say that, they guarantee that you will be able to clearly talk and
listen on your residental phone lines.  Now, if modem manufacturers
are designing their modems to operate to "voice" grade phone line
specifications, as I'm sure they are, why does the phone company offer
this vague description of residential phone line quality?  Somebody is
not telling the whole truth here!  I theorize that the phone companies
have gotten away with providing substandard phone line quality for
some time now and until the advent of high speed modems these
deficiency have gone unchecked by the average customer.  What I find
even more outragous is that, the phone companies are more than happy
to tell and sell their customers expensive possible solutions to their
current phone line problems.  Am I missing something here?  "It is
possible that you (the phone company) are not giving me the level of
service I am ALREADY paying for."

If any other readers out there feel the way I do, then, please, write
me or post something to support or even discredit these hypothoses.
A lot of us are trying to work at home now-a-days and can't afford to
be jerked around any longer, if, infact, we are.  If this is a real
problem, it needs to be fixed not ignored.

Note:  These are my stong personal beliefs and, as of yet, are not
       proven fact...that's the nature of hypothesis and without it
       we would be still be hudled in caves fearing shadows.

2. Disabling Win2k Virtual Memory Pagefile?

3. >>>>>>New Breakthrough!<<<<<<<<

4. Hello to demo/game coders!

5. <<<<<<<< Lan Guru's Please Help >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

6. In which database memory areas is SQL and PL/SQL parse information is stored?

7. <<<>>> INFORMATION ABOUT SPORTSTER LOCKUPS <<<>>>

8. DENY netblock 192.0.0.0 - 192.255.255.255 ?

10. >>>>>an important question<<<<<<

11. <<<<<<<<<<<HELP>>>>>>>>>> Is there a place I can find a ...

12. >>>>> ATLAS Peripherals <<<<<

13. <<<<<Modem Gamers>>>>>