Filtering Flawed

Post by Kuay Ti » Tue, 06 May 2003 21:42:17

Legitimate addresses are being filtered.

MSN's spam filter is blocking too much, customers complain

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/120430_msn05.html

--
Tim K.
Lynnwood, WA

Filtering Flawed

Post by Sandi - Microsoft MV » Wed, 07 May 2003 21:11:00

Why was that guy using MSN for business? Have the T.O.S. for MSN changed?

--
Hyperlinks are used to ensure answers remain current.
Sandi Hardmeier - MVP since 1999

Legitimate addresses are being filtered.

MSN's spam filter is blocking too much, customers complain

http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/business/120430_msn05.html

--
Tim K.
Lynnwood, WA

Filtering Flawed

Post by Kuay Ti » Wed, 07 May 2003 22:17:34

The man respected the Microsoft name, Sandi. He thought they could provide
the solution to his problem, perhaps after seeing the ads on television with
the butterfly guy. He didn't know it was mostly malarky, but as an * he
should have known better.

--
Tim K.
Lynnwood, WA

| Why was that guy using MSN for business? Have the T.O.S. for MSN changed?
|
| --
| Hyperlinks are used to ensure answers remain current.
| ________________________________________
| Sandi Hardmeier - MVP since 1999
| Home Site: http://www.veryComputer.com/
| Information about the MVP Programme including a list of genuine Microsoft
| MVPs:
| http://www.veryComputer.com/
|

| Legitimate addresses are being filtered.
|
| MSN's spam filter is blocking too much, customers complain
|
| http://www.veryComputer.com/
|

| --
| Tim K.
| Lynnwood, WA

Filtering Flawed

Post by Sandi - Microsoft MV » Wed, 07 May 2003 22:32:58

As an * he should have read the T.O.S.

--
Hyperlinks are used to ensure answers remain current.
Sandi Hardmeier - Microsoft MVP since 1999

> The man respected the Microsoft name, Sandi. He thought they could provide
> the solution to his problem, perhaps after seeing the ads on television
> with
> the butterfly guy. He didn't know it was mostly malarky, but as an *
> he
> should have known better.

> --
> Tim K.
> Lynnwood, WA

> | Why was that guy using MSN for business? Have the T.O.S. for MSN
> changed?
> |
> | --
> | Hyperlinks are used to ensure answers remain current.
> | ________________________________________
> | Sandi Hardmeier - MVP since 1999
> | Home Site: http://www.veryComputer.com/
> | Information about the MVP Programme including a list of genuine
> Microsoft
> | MVPs:
> | http://www.veryComputer.com/
> |

> | Legitimate addresses are being filtered.
> |
> | MSN's spam filter is blocking too much, customers complain
> |
> | http://www.veryComputer.com/
> |

> | --
> | Tim K.
> | Lynnwood, WA

Filtering Flawed

Post by Kuay Ti » Wed, 07 May 2003 22:29:32

True, but your take on the issue (conveniently)  ignores the problems being
encountered by non-business users of MSNate. This I see as a disservice to
people you profess to help as an MS-MVP.

--
Tim K.
Lynnwood, WA

| As an * he should have read the T.O.S.
|
| --
| Hyperlinks are used to ensure answers remain current.
| ________________________________________
| Sandi Hardmeier - Microsoft MVP since 1999
| http://www.veryComputer.com/
| Full list of Microsoft MVPs:

http://www.veryComputer.com/
us;mvpaward&style=toc

| > The man respected the Microsoft name, Sandi. He thought they could
provide
| > the solution to his problem, perhaps after seeing the ads on television
| > with
| > the butterfly guy. He didn't know it was mostly malarky, but as an *
| > he
| > should have known better.
| >

| > --
| > Tim K.
| > Lynnwood, WA
| >

| > | Why was that guy using MSN for business? Have the T.O.S. for MSN
| > changed?
| > |
| > | --
| > | Hyperlinks are used to ensure answers remain current.
| > | ________________________________________
| > | Sandi Hardmeier - MVP since 1999
| > | Home Site: http://www.veryComputer.com/
| > | Information about the MVP Programme including a list of genuine
| > Microsoft
| > | MVPs:
| > | http://www.veryComputer.com/
| > |

| > | Legitimate addresses are being filtered.
| > |
| > | MSN's spam filter is blocking too much, customers complain
| > |
| > | http://www.veryComputer.com/
| > |
| > |
| > | --
| > | Tim K.
| > | Lynnwood, WA
| > |
| > |
| > |

Filtering Flawed

Post by Sandi - Microsoft MV » Wed, 07 May 2003 23:23:55

Quote:> True, but your take on the issue (conveniently)  ignores the problems
> being
> encountered by non-business users of MSNate. This I see as a disservice to
> people you profess to help as an MS-MVP.

What "problems" for non-business users have you found in that article?  In
case you didn't notice, the heading is erronous and misleading.

"MSN's SPAM FILTER" is not blocking ANYTHING.  In fact, the "problem" is
caused by a "list of reserved or prohibited words" for sign-in names and
email addresses.   Specifically:

"While we sympathize with the customer's situation, we face the unfortunate
reality in our experience that people often use a portion of the name in
reference to create names and message subjects that are inappropriate.

"To protect the majority of our subscribers from such abusers, our policies
have had to be fairly strict."

You sure as heck won't find me jumping up and down demanding that MSN weaken
their control of sign-in names and email addresses.  The reality is that
given the chance the twits of this world WOULD use "ass" and other words to
create inappropriate names and logins.  You  may think its a 'good thing'
that such restrictions be removed, but there are a lot of Mums, Dads,
Grandparents etc etc etc that appreciate being protected from such
behaviour.

--
Hyperlinks are used to ensure answers remain current.
Sandi Hardmeier - MVP since 1999
Home Site: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer
Information about the MVP Programme including a list of genuine Microsoft
MVPs:
http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
.

  z_addot.gif
< 1K Download

  z_addot.gif
< 1K Download

Filtering Flawed

Post by mae » Thu, 08 May 2003 05:25:18

You are correct, Sandi,
He should get a business address, if that is what he wants.
The whole article was misrepresented.

Mae

-----------

Filtering Flawed

Post by Kuay Ti » Thu, 08 May 2003 07:59:17

Your replies make no sense to me, and you seem to have no grasp of the
issue. Are you saying the English language should be changed to accommodate
the filtering? We'll have to agree to disagree.

--
Tim K.
Lynnwood, WA

| > True, but your take on the issue (conveniently)  ignores the problems
| > being
| > encountered by non-business users of MSNate. This I see as a disservice
| > people you profess to help as an MS-MVP.
|
| What "problems" for non-business users have you found in that article?  In
| case you didn't notice, the heading is erronous and misleading.
|
| "MSN's SPAM FILTER" is not blocking ANYTHING.  In fact, the "problem" is
| caused by a "list of reserved or prohibited words" for sign-in names and
| email addresses.   Specifically:
|
| "While we sympathize with the customer's situation, we face the
unfortunate
| reality in our experience that people often use a portion of the name in
| reference to create names and message subjects that are inappropriate.
|

| "To protect the majority of our subscribers from such abusers, our
policies
| have had to be fairly strict."
|
| You sure as heck won't find me jumping up and down demanding that MSN
weaken
| their control of sign-in names and email addresses.  The reality is that
| given the chance the twits of this world WOULD use "ass" and other words
| create inappropriate names and logins.  You  may think its a 'good thing'
| that such restrictions be removed, but there are a lot of Mums, Dads,
| Grandparents etc etc etc that appreciate being protected from such
| behaviour.
|
| --
| Hyperlinks are used to ensure answers remain current.
| ________________________________________
| Sandi Hardmeier - MVP since 1999
| Home Site: http://www.mvps.org/inetexplorer
| Information about the MVP Programme including a list of genuine Microsoft
| MVPs:
| http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
| .

Filtering Flawed

Post by Dean Petter » Sun, 11 May 2003 00:43:34

I don't think weaken is the right word... maybe what's needed is a more
intelligent system.  I've only been with MSN for 6 months, but i've been
using windows since 3.11.  In the last year, tho, i've had some strange
"attempts" to protect me...

some silly examples...

defaulting OE to strip all attachments.  what was the reasoning behind
this???  "it's an attachment, it must be E-V-I-L."  what's evil is the
way OE allows attachments into the dark recessses of the operating system.

and how all versions of Windows default to hiding known extensions.  I
spent 45 minutes at work one day trying to figure out why someone
couldn't open a word document.  it turned out that the name was actually
<filename.doc.pgp>.  all we saw was <filename.doc>.

and how XP-home sets all users with non-password protected
administrative accounts.  Talk about opening up all home systems for
invasion/hijacking!  especially since XP really wants to be connected to
the internet at all times.

oh, and as for MSN, back in february i had all emails from aol and
earthlink blocked because they were "from domains known to house
spammers".  talk about throwing the baby out with the bathwater!

as for spam, i blame almost all of the "problem" solely in the lap of
M$.  if they wouldn't sell the hotmail and msn account lists (or if they
aren't, if they'd figure out how to stop the harvest-bots from getting
the account lists), i'd have more sympathy for their situation.  In
december, i set up an MSN account with 3 mailboxes.  each mailbox now
receives spam daily.  not a single one of these accounts has ever been
used as an address for another mail-list.  Each account has the privacy
settings set to the highest/most restrictive settings.  The spammers got
the address from microsoft, either legally (thru sale of the lists) or
illegally (thru harvesting the MSN computers).

compare this to the earthlink email account my wife has.  she's had the
same address for 5 years.  she's signed up at a handful of sites that
send her a newsletter but do not sell her address.  she has never
received a single *ographic email.  she has no need for spam filters...

MSN has no clue on how to stop spam.  They are kludging together
attempts that almost always do more harm than good and in the meantime,
they allow access to their account lists for just about everyone and
their brother...

Dean

Quote:

> You sure as heck won't find me jumping up and down demanding that MSN weaken
> their control of sign-in names and email addresses.  The reality is that
> given the chance the twits of this world WOULD use "ass" and other words to
> create inappropriate names and logins.  You  may think its a 'good thing'
> that such restrictions be removed, but there are a lot of Mums, Dads,
> Grandparents etc etc etc that appreciate being protected from such
> behaviour.

1. FILTER / AUTO FILTER

I am experiencing a difficulty with the Filter / Auto-Filter
functionality in Excel 5. It seems there is a limit to the number of
items that Excel is willing to display in the drop down box.

Any idea what is this limit ?, and how to get around ?
Thanks in advance.

PiMi

2. Help me read the video bios under OS/2 1.3 and WARP, please!

3. MSN 8 - spam filter is filtering all incoming e-mail

4. ODBC for VB application

5. removing filters from the filter factory in Orbix 2000

6. need info for shpping cart

7. Authentication filter and thread filter

8. Vendo MSX Turbo-R

9. Request: Kalman filter or extended Kalman filter PV-WAVE code?

10. article-filter.pl filtered message

11. Upper Filter v.s Lower Filter

12. Update pivot table filters based on already applied filters?

13. Vuescan flaws