windows messenger and msn messenger

Post by Tim » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 07:37:09

I run Win Xp  which obviously comes with Windows Messenger. Recently I
installed  Msn Messenger ver6 beta and was surprised to find out that
it is a totally different product. Can someone explain to me what the
differences are and if windows messenger can be uninstalled
succesfully. Is it wise to uninstall windows messenger or are there
problems associated with it. I noticed that I tried to use the
whiteboard in Msn Messenger and it said that I needed the latest
version of Windows Messenger installed (ver .7). Seems weird since
both of these programs do essentially the same thing, why do they need
to co-exist, or do they?

Thanks for any help

Opy

windows messenger and msn messenger

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Sat, 14 Jun 2003 07:48:22

Greetings Tim,

The differences are different features (that's pretty much obvious as you've probably
noticed), but both clients run on the same instant messaging network, and most features like
file transfer, voice, "video conference" (in Msngr6) etc. are all compatible with Windows
Messenger.

You can remove Windows Messenger 4.7, but if you do, you will be preventing Remote
Assistance, Whiteboard, Application Sharing and any other applications that utilize Messenger
from working (or loading without problems).  You can just disable Windows Messenger 4.7, by
opening it up, click Tools, Options, Preferences tab and unchecking 'Run this program when
Windows starts'.  This won't stop it from being loaded by some other application though. As
well, you can disable it further by going to Start, Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs,
Add/Remove Windows Components on the left, uncheck Windows Messenger in the components list
and click Next >.  Note: this is only available if you've installed Windows XP Service Pack
1 -- if you haven't, visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.  This won't remove Windows
Messenger, but it will let it stay out of your way, and allow MSN Messenger 5 to work
properly.

Also see:
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330117 for more information on Windows Messenger 4.7 and MSN
Messenger 5.0.
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

> I run Win Xp  which obviously comes with Windows Messenger. Recently I
> installed  Msn Messenger ver6 beta and was surprised to find out that
> it is a totally different product. Can someone explain to me what the
> differences are and if windows messenger can be uninstalled
> succesfully. Is it wise to uninstall windows messenger or are there
> problems associated with it. I noticed that I tried to use the
> whiteboard in Msn Messenger and it said that I needed the latest
> version of Windows Messenger installed (ver .7). Seems weird since
> both of these programs do essentially the same thing, why do they need
> to co-exist, or do they?

> Thanks for any help

> Opy

windows messenger and msn messenger

Post by Tim » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 01:34:30

Thanks for the info Jonathan, very helpful.

Tim

>Greetings Tim,

>The differences are different features (that's pretty much obvious as you've probably
>noticed), but both clients run on the same instant messaging network, and most features like
>file transfer, voice, "video conference" (in Msngr6) etc. are all compatible with Windows
>Messenger.

>You can remove Windows Messenger 4.7, but if you do, you will be preventing Remote
>Assistance, Whiteboard, Application Sharing and any other applications that utilize Messenger
>from working (or loading without problems).  You can just disable Windows Messenger 4.7, by
>opening it up, click Tools, Options, Preferences tab and unchecking 'Run this program when
>Windows starts'.  This won't stop it from being loaded by some other application though. As
>well, you can disable it further by going to Start, Control Panel, Add or Remove Programs,
>Add/Remove Windows Components on the left, uncheck Windows Messenger in the components list
>and click Next >.  Note: this is only available if you've installed Windows XP Service Pack
>1 -- if you haven't, visit http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com.  This won't remove Windows
>Messenger, but it will let it stay out of your way, and allow MSN Messenger 5 to work
>properly.

>Also see:
>http://support.microsoft.com/?id=330117 for more information on Windows Messenger 4.7 and MSN
>Messenger 5.0.
>Jonathan Kay
>Windows MVP, Messenger
>Associate Expert

>> I run Win Xp  which obviously comes with Windows Messenger. Recently I
>> installed  Msn Messenger ver6 beta and was surprised to find out that
>> it is a totally different product. Can someone explain to me what the
>> differences are and if windows messenger can be uninstalled
>> succesfully. Is it wise to uninstall windows messenger or are there
>> problems associated with it. I noticed that I tried to use the
>> whiteboard in Msn Messenger and it said that I needed the latest
>> version of Windows Messenger installed (ver .7). Seems weird since
>> both of these programs do essentially the same thing, why do they need
>> to co-exist, or do they?

>> Thanks for any help

>> Opy

windows messenger and msn messenger

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Sun, 15 Jun 2003 04:59:13

Hi Tim,

You're very welcome =).
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger