MSN messenger 5.0 vs. 4.7 incompatibity

Post by Peter Odryn » Tue, 28 Jan 2003 03:43:21

A person to whom I regularly connect in voice and video
chat mode upgraded to MSN messenger 5.0 (from 4.7).  I am
still on messenger 4.7.  After his upgrade we were no
longer able to connect our computers for voice/video
chat.  The computers attempt to connect to each other but
either time-out or fail in the connectoin. After
installing MSN messenger 5.0 on my computer, I am now
able to connect in voice/video mode chat to his computer.

So it looks like messenger 4.7 voice/video is not
compatible with msn messenger 5.0 voice/video.  4.7/4.7
and 5.0/5.0 voice/video work correctly.

This is bothersome because now I have to maintain both
4.7 and 5.0 messenger on my system so that I can use
voice/video with the 12 different members of my
community, some of which are on 5.0 and some of which are
still in 4.7 and haven't upgraded.

Is Microsoft planning a patch to msn messenger 5.0 to
make it voice/video compatible with messenger 4.7?

-Peter

p.s. Jonathan, thank you for all of your continuous hard
work in this community.  I've seen you answer the same
question from various people repeatedly, consistently
giving great advice.  Without you this b-board wouldn't
work.

MSN messenger 5.0 vs. 4.7 incompatibity

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Wed, 29 Jan 2003 17:54:16

Hi Peter,

MSN Messenger 5 and Windows Messenger 4.7 are fully compatible with one another (the
protocols for voice/video are identical).  I'm not exactly sure why you would be seeing
this -- have you encountered the problem with other users?

[As well, thanks for the comment =)]
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

Quote:> A person to whom I regularly connect in voice and video
> chat mode upgraded to MSN messenger 5.0 (from 4.7).  I am
> still on messenger 4.7.  After his upgrade we were no
> longer able to connect our computers for voice/video
> chat.  The computers attempt to connect to each other but
> either time-out or fail in the connectoin. After
> installing MSN messenger 5.0 on my computer, I am now
> able to connect in voice/video mode chat to his computer.

> So it looks like messenger 4.7 voice/video is not
> compatible with msn messenger 5.0 voice/video.  4.7/4.7
> and 5.0/5.0 voice/video work correctly.

> This is bothersome because now I have to maintain both
> 4.7 and 5.0 messenger on my system so that I can use
> voice/video with the 12 different members of my
> community, some of which are on 5.0 and some of which are
> still in 4.7 and haven't upgraded.

> Is Microsoft planning a patch to msn messenger 5.0 to
> make it voice/video compatible with messenger 4.7?

> -Peter

> p.s. Jonathan, thank you for all of your continuous hard
> work in this community.  I've seen you answer the same
> question from various people repeatedly, consistently
> giving great advice.  Without you this b-board wouldn't
> work.

MSN messenger 5.0 vs. 4.7 incompatibity

Post by Peter Odryn » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 02:03:59

It was with three different people (in a triangle) that
we figured out it was an incompatibility.  All three
running WinXP-sp1.  One directly on the net, one behind a
d-link firewall, and one behind an XP firewall.  When we
mix versions 4.7/5.0 between any two it doesn't connect.
4.7/4.7 and 5.0/5.0 connects.  Easily reproduced.

4.7/5.0 tries to connect but fails in the attempt saying
something is wrong with the recipient's computer.  Text
works fine.

Version of Windows Msgr: 4.7.0105
Version of MSN Msgr: 5.0.0543

-Peter

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Hi Peter,

>MSN Messenger 5 and Windows Messenger 4.7 are fully

compatible with one another (the
Quote:>protocols for voice/video are identical).  I'm not

exactly sure why you would be seeing
>this -- have you encountered the problem with other
users?

>[As well, thanks for the comment =)]
>Jonathan Kay
>Windows MVP, Messenger
>Associate Expert

>> A person to whom I regularly connect in voice and video
>> chat mode upgraded to MSN messenger 5.0 (from 4.7).  I
am
>> still on messenger 4.7.  After his upgrade we were no
>> longer able to connect our computers for voice/video
>> chat.  The computers attempt to connect to each other
but
>> either time-out or fail in the connectoin. After
>> installing MSN messenger 5.0 on my computer, I am now
>> able to connect in voice/video mode chat to his
computer.

>> So it looks like messenger 4.7 voice/video is not
>> compatible with msn messenger 5.0 voice/video.  4.7/4.7
>> and 5.0/5.0 voice/video work correctly.

>> This is bothersome because now I have to maintain both
>> 4.7 and 5.0 messenger on my system so that I can use
>> voice/video with the 12 different members of my
>> community, some of which are on 5.0 and some of which
are
>> still in 4.7 and haven't upgraded.

>> Is Microsoft planning a patch to msn messenger 5.0 to
>> make it voice/video compatible with messenger 4.7?

>> -Peter

>> p.s. Jonathan, thank you for all of your continuous
hard
>> work in this community.  I've seen you answer the same
>> question from various people repeatedly, consistently
>> giving great advice.  Without you this b-board wouldn't
>> work.

>.

MSN messenger 5.0 vs. 4.7 incompatibity

Post by Jonathan Kay [MVP » Thu, 30 Jan 2003 05:17:20

Hi Peter,

I can honestly say that I connect regularly to people using both versions, in a variety of
configurations and versions, yet haven't seen this.

I'm curious though -- if at all possible, try the same "tests" with the XP firewall off,
and/or taking the D-Link router/firewall device out and see if you encounter the same
problem.
Jonathan Kay
Windows MVP, Messenger
Associate Expert

> It was with three different people (in a triangle) that
> we figured out it was an incompatibility.  All three
> running WinXP-sp1.  One directly on the net, one behind a
> d-link firewall, and one behind an XP firewall.  When we
> mix versions 4.7/5.0 between any two it doesn't connect.
> 4.7/4.7 and 5.0/5.0 connects.  Easily reproduced.

> 4.7/5.0 tries to connect but fails in the attempt saying
> something is wrong with the recipient's computer.  Text
> works fine.

> Version of Windows Msgr: 4.7.0105
> Version of MSN Msgr: 5.0.0543

> -Peter

Post by Jav » Sat, 01 Feb 2003 01:23:54

I have the same issue, I resolved this by making sure both
computers were using the same version. I can appreciate it
can be quite hard if you are interacting with multiple
accounts. I have just recently tried voice again with 2
different versions and again had this same issue.

regards

Jav

Quote:>-----Original Message-----
>Message unavailable

1. MSN Messenger 5.0 vs Windows Messenger 4.7

Hi, I have a Windows XP Pro system and "upgraded" Windows Messenger 4.7 to
MSN Messenger 5.0. I did this through an update alert in the bottom right
corner of the screen and Messenger 5 just doesn't seem as integrated as the
Windows Messenger version. Is there a particular reason for this? Why would
Windows Messenger update to MSN Messenger in the first place?

Whenever I start MSN Explorer, it still uses Windows Messenger. This is
depressing, MSN is getting really confusing with thier products now. Can
anyone explain any of this to me? I'm completely lost.

Thanks in advance.

David Leon

2. Failed installations

3. MSN Messenger 5.0 and Windows Messenger 4.7

4. Quad CPU (used) systems

5. Video between Windows Messenger 4.7 and MSN Messenger 4.6 and 5.0

6. Sending mail under Windows 95/2000

7. Windows Messenger 4.7 & MSN Messenger 5.0 Problems

8. vpn

9. Reuters Messenger 4.7 and MSN Messenger 5.0

10. Windows Messenger 4.7 vs MSN Messenger 5

11. MSN Messenger API changes from 4.7 to 5.0

12. MSN Messenger 5.0 not compatible with 4.7 Interop DLL?

13. How to remove Win Messenger 4.7 and install MSN Mes 5.0