What do you think?

Post by sweetie-cha » Sat, 27 May 2000 04:00:00

Hi there,

It's a big issue that government antitrust enforcers plan to
stick with the
basics of their proposal to split Microsoft into two companies:
one that
makes Windows operating systems and another that makes
applications such as
Microsoft Office. I'm a kind of Microsoft fan. Personally I
oppose this
break up plan. Since the connection between OS, Internet and
other software
is kind of necessary stuff for future computer technology. In
this point of
view, Microsoft is doing good job even though they are doing bit
high-handedly. Anyhow, I want to know you guys opinions about
Microsoft
antitrust trial. If you support government opinion, what do you
think they
should split 2-way split or 3-way split?

What do you think?

Post by winsto » Sat, 27 May 2000 04:00:00

Its both a waste of taxpayer and consumer dollars..

--
...winston

What do you think?

Post by Greg » Sat, 27 May 2000 04:00:00

No I don't approve of the breakup.

If Microsoft has acted in a way that violates the ani-trust laws, fine them.
If  it has to  be a big fine of several billion dollars  to punish the
company, and make the stockholders sit up and take notice, then so be it.
That's what is generally done with any company that violates the law.  You
see this all the time in environmental and safety issues.

Certainly if it can be proven that someone in the company committed a
criminal act in the anti-trust violation, than that person goes to jail.
That  hasn't been proven or even charged in this case.

It is amazing  that the government wants to  break up Microsoft, at the same
time they are  going to let $150 billion dollar mergers go through for
AOL/TMW,  and WorldCom/Sprint.

Quote:> Hi there,

> It's a big issue that government antitrust enforcers plan to
> stick with the
> basics of their proposal to split Microsoft into two companies:
> one that
> makes Windows operating systems and another that makes
> applications such as
> Microsoft Office. I'm a kind of Microsoft fan. Personally I
> oppose this
> break up plan. Since the connection between OS, Internet and
> other software
> is kind of necessary stuff for future computer technology. In
> this point of
> view, Microsoft is doing good job even though they are doing bit
> high-handedly. Anyhow, I want to know you guys opinions about
> Microsoft
> antitrust trial. If you support government opinion, what do you
> think they
> should split 2-way split or 3-way split?

*

What do you think?

Post by pianogu » Sat, 27 May 2000 04:00:00

Who cares what they do, it's just political wrangling.

--
pianoguy
return email disabled

> No I don't approve of the breakup.

> If Microsoft has acted in a way that violates the ani-trust laws, fine them.
> If  it has to  be a big fine of several billion dollars  to punish the
> company, and make the stockholders sit up and take notice, then so be it.
> That's what is generally done with any company that violates the law.  You
> see this all the time in environmental and safety issues.

> Certainly if it can be proven that someone in the company committed a
> criminal act in the anti-trust violation, than that person goes to jail.
> That  hasn't been proven or even charged in this case.

> It is amazing  that the government wants to  break up Microsoft, at the same
> time they are  going to let $150 billion dollar mergers go through for
> AOL/TMW,  and WorldCom/Sprint.

> > Hi there,

> > It's a big issue that government antitrust enforcers plan to
> > stick with the
> > basics of their proposal to split Microsoft into two companies:
> > one that
> > makes Windows operating systems and another that makes
> > applications such as
> > Microsoft Office. I'm a kind of Microsoft fan. Personally I
> > oppose this
> > break up plan. Since the connection between OS, Internet and
> > other software
> > is kind of necessary stuff for future computer technology. In
> > this point of
> > view, Microsoft is doing good job even though they are doing bit
> > high-handedly. Anyhow, I want to know you guys opinions about
> > Microsoft
> > antitrust trial. If you support government opinion, what do you
> > think they
> > should split 2-way split or 3-way split?

> > * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion Network
> *
> > The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet - Free!

What do you think?

Post by John Eckar » Sat, 27 May 2000 04:00:00

Breaking up Microsoft will only hurt us, the consumers.

If Microsoft breaks the law, then do what Greg says, take action by a large fine, or jail time depending on what it is. :)

What do you think?

Post by John Eckar » Sat, 27 May 2000 04:00:00

Yes, a monopoly is a bad thing in most cases, but in this case it doesn't seem to be affecting computer users in a negative way.

Windows a very advanced OS and Microsoft sets the standard with their software, whether it be an OS, Web Browser, Office software etc. I believe (personally) if Microsoft wasn't around, technically speaking, we would be living several years in the past, as computer software and hardware goes.

Furthermore, by breaking up Microsoft now, not only may the advancements slow, but Microsoft's software prices would surly rise due to the breakup. Besides, I can see no way whatsoever how breaking up Microsoft could help the consumer, which is what this is based. They will still be a Monopoly. Again, it will only hurt the consumers in my view, but I could be wrong, you tell me.

Post by pianogu » Sun, 28 May 2000 04:00:00

How will it hurt the consumers? Monopoly is what keeps prices up. Competition is what
drives people to do better work.

--
pianoguy
return email disabled
Breaking up Microsoft will only hurt us, the consumers.

If Microsoft breaks the law, then do what Greg says, take action by a large fine, or
jail time depending on what it is. :)

What do you think?

Post by tcc200 » Sun, 28 May 2000 04:00:00

True. There are many more important things than this.
It's ridiculous.

--
tcc2000

website: http://powertips.cjb.net
u2u: pc help newsgroup http://u2u.cjb.net

Its both a waste of taxpayer and consumer dollars..

--
...winston

What do you think?

Post by wcondi » Sun, 28 May 2000 04:00:00

I mentioned elsewhere here that I called it a day yesterday and canceled
after three months. It was just too frustrating.

I'm getting better and faster connectuion with FreeWWW!

Quote:> Sorry about the hiccup, but I'm connected via MSN which has been working
very
> strangely for the past few weeks.  It reported that the message was NOT
sent,
> so I sent it again.  Thus the hiccup.  Anything can happen with MSN! I'm
> getting the recycling MSN logon screen as well as speedup/slowdown
throughputs
> for the internet and email, dead connections, refusals to answer, etc.
It's
> amazing that they can stay in business with such a poor ISP
> roduct/service...  --JB

What do you think?

Post by winsto » Sun, 28 May 2000 04:00:00

There must be solid and dependable competition and most importantly a  wide user base before the price falls..there aren't enough new pcs sold to impact the existing user base for years...unless one incorrectly assumes that current pc owners will wipe their machines and install off the shelf software provided by some unknown competition..

    ..until then..the price will rise....
 ..less without the breakup
...more with the breakup..

--
...winston

> How will it hurt the consumers? Monopoly is what keeps prices up. Competition is what
> drives people to do better work.

What do you think?

Post by southern helpe » Wed, 31 May 2000 04:00:00

MSN is actually runs on the Internet backbone, the backbone is ran by many
companies and servers, and most have problems with connections at different
times.

Quote:> Sorry about the hiccup, but I'm connected via MSN which has been working
very
> strangely for the past few weeks.  It reported that the message was NOT
sent,
> so I sent it again.  Thus the hiccup.  Anything can happen with MSN! I'm
> getting the recycling MSN logon screen as well as speedup/slowdown
throughputs
> for the internet and email, dead connections, refusals to answer, etc.
It's
> amazing that they can stay in business with such a poor ISP
> roduct/service...  --JB

What do you think?

Post by jaso » Sat, 10 Jun 2000 04:00:00

That backbone would be UUNet, http://www.uu.net/  :)
--

jason
http://mindcritic.cjb.net

Quote:> MSN is actually runs on the Internet backbone, the backbone is ran by many
> companies and servers, and most have problems with connections at
different
> times.

1. Vuescan and Masks - I think a lot of us have been doing it wrong.

Greetings all.
Thought I would add my experience with Vuescan and setting masks.
I think a lot of us having been doing it incorrectly (though it has worked
for me)
This is brought to light (and prevented) by version 7.2.8
It is summed up below in an email response from Ed Hamrick:

email to Ed:

response:
Yes, it's a very bad thing.  Locking the mask and then changing the
exposure will mess up the mask.  VueScan has always worked this
way.  The reason it has to be this way is that the exposure is a
floating point number, but the actual exposure used by a scanner
can sometimes be an integer (for instance, the Canon FS2710
can only use exposure values of 1,2,3,4, and 6 (not 5)).

Regards,
Ed Hamrick

2. PPPoE,Speedstream USB issues

3. Has anyone thought about and/or done any project using a Sega Dreamcast

4. Theme issues

5. I do not think anybody has done this before ??

6. MacII Memory Limit

7. Have I done this the right way round do you think?

8. Need so32dll to get programs to install

9. Anyone thought about or doing a TeX port to minix?????

10. I think I know what I'm doing wrong, but....

11. OK, Now am thinking about doing the MCSD

12. I think Xbox should develop a CFL Game for the xbox, what do you think?